How Many Years Since Killing Your Last Deer?

I know we got some discerning hunters out there. In general, I shoot the frist thing I see. What that means is the first good broadside shot at 20 yards with a bow, it's down. Early october, got a deer in the freezer. Now......... I relax on the treestand and shoot something nice.

I do hve some limits on this early season harvest. This method make deer hunting much more fun and relaxing. Sometimes it makes you lazy though. Don't feel like going out cause of cold, work late, house work you gotta do, hangover, etc...............

Im out there because I am enjoy nature and harvesting my own food. A nice set of horns comes after that.

Think I got a deer ever year since 2009 or so.

Interesting situation with the neighbors, funny how things can be so different in different regions or neighborhoods. I’ve been trying to convince my neighbors to shoot does and most won’t do it. We’re in a 50+ deer per square mile county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poor, hard working country folk here

I got a whitetail and a red deer this year. I didn't hunt much, but I hunted ”smart". My goal was to increase my hunting efficiency, and I managed just that. This was due to extremely limited time to hunt this season. I let other people dictate my time too much last year, and I won't be doing that again.

Next season I'm going after big stags and big bucks, especially in wilderness. I'm planning to learn saddle hunting and making that a part of my repertoire if it proves to be useful for me. It should open up a lot of opportunities.

Well now that my season is over I can say it’s been 13 months since my last kill. Anymore for me it’s more about methods than filling tags. I use a stickbow and a flintlock as my main weapons. I only took 1 shot this entire season and that was a doe I missed last week with the smoke pole. I will say that I passed more deer this season than I ever have before, not sure if I’m getting soft in my old age or if I just didn’t want the suffering on my part to end LoL.

Before this year, my last bow buck was 2018. I like to wait for a nice one.

I get a buck with my rifle or ML about every other year or so, and I shoot does every year both bow and gun(s).

Been about two weeks for me since taking a doe.

I shot one buck and one doe in WI and two does in MN. We usually eat 2-3 deer as a family per year, this year it'll be 4. Some years we give deer to friends or have them out to thin the does themselves.

For the first time since I was in college that I didn’t shoot a deer! Not that I didn’t have opportunities but I ate tags this year. I never had a buck over 130 in shooting range .

If I could shoot like Lee Lakosky, I would probably have this buck (50 yards broadside for at least a minute). My max is 40-42 yds.1CC11707-D03B-49D0-91B4-727F85EFF566.jpeg

For the first time since I was in college that I didn’t shoot a deer! Not that I didn’t have opportunities but I ate tags this year. I never had a buck over 130 in shooting range .

If I could shoot like Lee Lakosky, I would probably have this buck (50 yards broadside for at least a minute). My max is 40-42 yds.View attachment 61520

Man… That is a beauty!

If I could shoot like Lee Lakosky, I would probably have this buck (50 yards broadside for at least a minute). My max is 40-42 yds.View attachment 61520
Was that picture run through a filter? It almost like like a painting.

I havent gotten a deer in the last 2 seasons. Last year I was being picky, this year there just wasnt any deer.

I have opportunity to shoot at bucks and does every year but I am picky. I had a 3 y/o 9 pt in the scope opening morning of our first shotgun season this year but chose to pass as there was two other "shooters" I was after. My youngest son shot his first deer this year and my oldest son shot a doe with his bow so we didn't really need the meet anyway. 2022 I shot a 153 gross typical 10 pt and 21 I shot a 155 gross ten pt. Before that It had been about ten years since I shot at a buck. Again because I'm picky. My oldest son is a killer so I generally let him fill the freezer and get some experience of harvesting and gutting deer. I'll shoot a buck if it's going on the wall but other than that I let the kids shoot whatever they want so meet usually isn't an issue.

Shot 5 antlerless deer this year, passed on 3 y/o bucks. The matoor ones I was after never walked by. Next year will be my year.

Poor, hard working country folk here

That’s the part I don’t get. Exactly the same scenario in the County my property is in, median income is only $40k. You’d think everyone would take advantage of the plentiful resource but that’s not the case.

That’s the part I don’t get. Exactly the same scenario in the County my property is in, median income is only $40k. You’d think everyone would take advantage of the plentiful resource but that’s not the case.

These folks over here try to kill them in bunches. There is a man and woman have 15 acres adjacent property to our deer camp and last year they killed five - all in one day - four does and a buck. Another adjacent 20 acre landowner told me a couple months ago they killed four does in one day last year. I have 15 adjacent landowners. Those two landowners /families killed more does in two days last year than we have killed off 300 acres in five years. And that is just what they told me about. I dont ask any of them anymore about what they kill. They are not afraid of eating red meat - they depend on it.

I average a buck every three years. I target 4.5 or older bucks. Does would be on the target list if our numbers could support it. If the trend continues from this year's fawn recruitment, I may be able to do that in a season or two. Overall, at least one buck meeting the age criteria has been taken every year over the past 10 years by someone hunting our land.

I average a buck every three years. I target 4.5 or older bucks. Does would be on the target list if our numbers could support it. If the trend continues from this year's fawn recruitment, I may be able to do that in a season or two. Overall, at least one buck meeting the age criteria has been taken every year over the past 10 years by someone hunting our land.
Where is your land and what is your fawn recruitment?

Where is your land and what is your fawn recruitment?
Southeast NE, Fawn recruitment based on observation from sits this year is close to one per adult doe. In the previous few years it was between .25 to .50 dawns per adult deer.

I killed my biggest WV buck this year after killing my biggest PA buck last year. I've gotten pretty picky but I SHOULD have killed my 5 biggest buck ever in PA the last 5 years but I can't shoot straight. This year was the first year I didn't have a shot at a buck I wanted to shoot. I passed a one horner in rifle season that I would've shot all day every day but he only had one side so I passed him up.

2011: 173” 3x3 Mulie
2016: 180” Whitetail

Where do I go from there? A good problem to have.

I did kill two Roe Deer in Czech Republic in 2022. That’s a fun hunt. Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 5.48.42 PM.jpegIMG_8472.jpegIMG_5693.jpegIMG_4838.jpeg