All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honey Crisp on standard roots?

I think HC is a good eating apple, but for wildlife, no. Best to plant a few near the hunting cabin or home, fertilize them and enjoy eating them.
Pros: long hanging, cold hardy, tastes good, can take a few freezes without going mushy, overproduces without thinning and produces substandard apples.
Cons: not a vigorous grower, physiological problems (iron chlorosis) there are better all-around trees for deer, deer aren't picky eaters.
My perfect deer apple: Late hanger, vigorous grower, annual producer, open & spreading habit, disease resistant/immune, early maturing.
What has these qualities? That I know of, Golden Russet, Golden Delicious, Spuree Rome

I planted one on M111 back around 2001, give or take. Small tree, but I like how it drops little by little from September through November. It is a biennial bearer though. In bearing years, it produces perhaps a bushel of apples, at most. After that, it sleeps for a year, and sometimes longer.

I planted five more in 2008, on Antonovka that time. They are still small as well, though my soil is very droughty. They first started to bear a couple years ago.

Two years ago, I got a really good deal on some more as a portion of a bulk order. Those were on M111. I planted them eleven feet apart, but like I said, my soil is very droughty.

Honeycrisp hasn't grown big for me, but its drop time pattern works out well for me in years it does bear. It is a nice component in my orchards when it does bear.

If we had much in the way of cedars in the neighborhood, I wouldn't plant them though.

My experience with Honeycrisp has not been good, although I like the apple so much that I’m not giving up on it. I have a couple semi- dwarfs (m111 or m9) that are probably 9 years old. They are sick looking trees. They produced a few apples for the first time this year. The apples didn’t look much better than the tree or leaves. I do not spray my trees. There are much better choices for wildlife. I’ve threatened to pull them out and plant something else, but I haven’t done it yet. My dad has some older trees that were potted at one time. They produced real well for a couple years, but have been duds the last couple of years. Heavier clay loam soil.

I cut my HC down as i didn’t want to give it the necessary care it needed.

I could grow a few beautiful apples every other year, but the beetles loved them.

I suggest a kinderkrisp instead, for my climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not into self inflicted grief so I never planted one. Sorry I can’t help with this Jordan.

I think HC is a good eating apple, but for wildlife, no. Best to plant a few near the hunting cabin or home, fertilize them and enjoy eating them.
Pros: long hanging, cold hardy, tastes good, can take a few freezes without going mushy, overproduces without thinning and produces substandard apples.
Cons: not a vigorous grower, physiological problems (iron chlorosis) there are better all-around trees for deer, deer aren't picky eaters.
My perfect deer apple: Late hanger, vigorous grower, annual producer, open & spreading habit, disease resistant/immune, early maturing.
What has these qualities? That I know of, Golden Russet, Golden Delicious, Spuree Rome

One reason I choose HC was as a cross pollinator for my Franklin Cider. FC is a mid season bloom.

What are your thoughts on other cross pollinators for FC? Cortland & Gala are suggested.

Gala is a better polenator. Cortland tends to be biennial.

Are you in Wisconsin? I am considering Honeycrisp, would like to hear local obsrvations.

Mine on B118 was planted 2012. It’s about the same size as the three others I planted on B118 that year. A sweet 16, Hudson’s golden gem and wolf river. It was loaded this past year. Now if I could just keep the darn coons off my trees I’d be good to go.

Gala is a better polenator. Cortland tends to be biennial.

My Cortlands bloom heavily every year but rarely take a fruit to maturity. Even before I had coon problems they would do this. Not sure what the deal is other than they’re too close to the field edge. Other trees may be stealing nutrients from them.

I have another 60 Honeycrisp on order to arrive this spring.

The 120 Honeycrisp I planted last time got hammered by Gypsy Moth caterpillars more than any other variety, but most survived.

Last edited: