Hinge cut barricade a year later...

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Ok, the following pictures are taken from the car because I was pressed for time. They detail the massive amount of growth still on the living trees (the ones that survived the hinge) I hinge cut for the barricade around my 30 acre property, as well as the new growth and sunlight let in. Note these pictures from the car are from the township easement on the east side of my property.

6bc53b804994f7f0ff31aad8406174e9.jpg

You can't see in there 30 yards.

1fa74b72c182517a7b05db2ce16d9f19.jpg

9d82e45a731d09015f9c33be6960a6d2.jpg

This is out the right side of the car on the neighbors property.

aa6bbbc4205d38a8baee340feeb3b09e.jpg

I will update this when I go in and plant the food plots next week or the week after.

Before I did any work on this property I hunted it for a year. I had five buck rubs on the property and no scrapes. Last year the first fall after hinge cutting and making food plots, I must have had 200 horn rubs and 20 scrapes on 30 acres.

I'll never forget when the neighbors said, we've never had a year like this (when referencing bucks on camera).... I just smiled and said "I wonder what changed?!?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Pictures of how it can change in just a year are worth seeing. Hopefully it gets even thicker in years to come.

Gratifying result

bill

Nice work! I have a similar situation with a neighbors logging road that runs the length of my place and I did the same thing.
Have you tried using the dozer for barricades yet?

Nice work! I have a similar situation with a neighbors logging road that runs the length of my place and I did the same thing.
Have you tried using the dozer for barricades yet?

Thanks for asking buddy! I used it to create barricades just on the cleared foodplot areas where I could stack and push downed trees... and oh........ I fell in love with the bulldozer. I hopped in the tractor today and it feels like a toy . I got the main food plot planted in front of this three days of speculated rain. I put out clover, rye and some extra soybeans I had. I will put out some radishes and turnips when I get time this weekend. I'll get some pictures up hopefully this weekend. It's back to work tomorrow and Friday!

I'll be honest, I like the precise effect of hinging and barricading with the saw and pole over the Dozer. There's just something to these big piles of brushy tree top and trunk growth that's ten feet tall that makes me think the deer prefer that. I was eyeing up the edges of the food plot for edge feathering this evening on my new property.

What's the purpose of barricading the perimeter of your 30? I get hinge cutting and letting more light in. Just wondering what management goal the barricade provides?

I don't think he intends it so much as a physical barricade. The deer can still get through there. I'm assuming it's more of a visual barricade or screen intended to provide cover and browse as well.

I don't think he intends it so much as a physical barricade. The deer can still get through there. I'm assuming it's more of a visual barricade or screen intended to provide cover and browse as well.

That is correct.

What's the purpose of barricading the perimeter of your 30? I get hinge cutting and letting more light in. Just wondering what management goal the barricade provides?

It aided significantly in determining entrance and exit routes. Pick a spot for an opening in the barricade that has a good existing trail, hang one stand on one side and one stand on the other (for wind direction), watch them walk through it broadside at 20 yards. I always hunted trails and intersections only to watch them randomly walk through the woods out of range. This solved that problem.

Furthermore, I don't hang a stand "inside" the barricade, I never hunt inside of it. It's basically a sanctuary inside of the property. The deer know this now.

Plus, I can walk the perimeter access "road/trail" to the stand for the day/wind without alerting them visually. They might here me, but they can't confirm what I am.

It's happened multiple times now where I am in there in the spring and I'll come around a corner inside the barricade and I will jump out of my socks because a doe will be looking at me face to face from 30 yards. It's funny because I can almost read her mind "what are you doing in here, your not supposed to be in here"

In the winter I have seen tracks wiggling through the barricade.

Hinging and daylight can grossly change the look of an area....especially with the leaves on. I'm glad you got great results. What you have done can really help bolster a sense of security and keep out prying eyes of neighbors as well. I have seen folks do concentric rings so to speak like this to help reduce competition in the sanctuary and create some division to help help more deer as well if the woods is fairly open inside the external screen.

Hinging and daylight can grossly change the look of an area....especially with the leaves on. I'm glad you got great results. What you have done can really help bolster a sense of security and keep out prying eyes of neighbors as well. I have seen folks do concentric rings so to speak like this to help reduce competition in the sanctuary and create some division to help help more deer as well if the woods is fairly open inside the external screen.

I was thinking of this basic same principle. If I then barricaded a big + symbol in the center of this property it would almost make sections of this 30.

I was thinking of this basic same principle. If I then barricaded a big + symbol in the center of this property it would almost make sections of this 30.

I don't know about a "barricade" - but if it's pretty open maybe just a visual screen would help get a more secure feeling.

It aided significantly in determining entrance and exit routes. Pick a spot for an opening in the barricade that has a good existing trail, hang one stand on one side and one stand on the other (for wind direction), watch them walk through it broadside at 20 yards. I always hunted trails and intersections only to watch them randomly walk through the woods out of range. This solved that problem.

Furthermore, I don't hang a stand "inside" the barricade, I never hunt inside of it. It's basically a sanctuary inside of the property. The deer know this now.

Plus, I can walk the perimeter access "road/trail" to the stand for the day/wind without alerting them visually. They might here me, but they can't confirm what I am.

It's happened multiple times now where I am in there in the spring and I'll come around a corner inside the barricade and I will jump out of my socks because a doe will be looking at me face to face from 30 yards. It's funny because I can almost read her mind "what are you doing in here, your not supposed to be in here"

In the winter I have seen tracks wiggling through the barricade.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just never really heard of that.

Looks good. I need to do that in a couple areas where I hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Be careful with a perimeter baracade with openings for crossing. It will funnel the deer for both you and adjoining neighbor, so hopefully they dont hunt the lines right where the deer filter in and out of your property

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a good theory going there! Its fun to manipulate them with food and cover! Thanks for the pics and description!

Be careful with a perimeter baracade with openings for crossing. It will funnel the deer for both you and adjoining neighbor, so hopefully they dont hunt the lines right where the deer filter in and out of your property

Well, this was actually a thought that went through my mind big time. I first came to the conclusion that the barricade couldn't actually be on the property line, because I needed access around the property via tractor and ATV and I didn't want the neighbors sitting on my openings. So between 10 and 25 yards the access trail weaves the perimeter property boundary. Then inside the access trail, 15-35 yards is the barricade. On average the barricade is 45 yards inside my property line. This allows sufficient space for walking in, and keeping them bedded off the access trail far enough.

I have a great relationship with the neighbors, and I decided to use the barricade to "enhance" there existing funnels which feed my small property..... instead of blocking them off and making travel for deer difficult. My neighbors are one big family and they don't hunt the wind well and do not have perimeter boundary access like I do..... so they let the deer know they are there and they come running to my place. We share all trail camera pictures and notes from the hunts.

I must say that I do not deserve any credit for these original ideas. Only implementing them safely and through trial and error. I have read all the LickCreek dbltree forums and posts, studied(ing) Steve Bartyllas last book endlessly, and read Jeff Sturgis books. Steve discusses and shows how to do barricades, and Jeff discussed specific distances from property boundaries and security cover if memory serves me correct. And I read how to fell a tree. Buy it. Read it. Use it.

I do not perform any habitat improvements outside the barricade.

I did get a little crazy this spring with a second barricade inside the first on the eastern side of my property, near where these pictures were taken to attempt to create more security from vehicles driving by. I am unsure if it will help, but it's now a funnel in a funnel in a funnel!

Furthermore, while shed hunting this spring, it was very noticeable that the hinge cutting I did for bedding, was inferior to how much they were bedding up against the barricade.

Ive read both Steves and Jeff's books. Thats some good stuff before going to wild with the modifications. For small properties I do like Jeff's approaches a bit better, but both have very valid ideas and info and its nice to incorporate multiple view points. I do like the perimeter access trails - good place to leave the scent! I am working on the same thing now.

Pictures updated:

Barricade
91178ab76c9caef6e90dd6f12b621ac1.jpg

Opening in barricade to funnel travel:
8b3ee77d1ea16d7d2916276e7fb78f69.jpg

Looking down barricade from opening:
5ff120c0f2c822870a4318e6b5142997.jpg

West of barricade towards neighbors:
3acdadb5a6388d3e991eae501e36497f.jpg

East of barricade towards center of my property. You can see the trail to one of our micro plots:
761b38b4ca5565ad99214dd95a456756.jpg

Pic of The trail and you can just see my tree stand that I need to move north or south of the opening:
59cadfbd48c297945d2b552da65387a1.jpg

This is a different section of my property and you can see the action this trail is getting: this opening is much smaller than the other one. I have learned to keep the openings about 5-10 yards wide.
bdcca6690108118d39bf3326c0406992.jpg

000785e0b9e653a775556d933aa664d4.jpg

fd6a032882b4615c5dbc93fb828eb83a.jpg

Man that looks awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk