All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeling fall bareroot trees over winter for spring planting

CAS_HNTR

5 year old buck +
I am considering ordering a couple grafted persimmon and temporarily heeling them in my veggie garden over winter for spring 2019 planting as I don't have my spot prepped ( plus now I'm in hunting not planting mode).

Any thoughts? I know putting them where their permanent home is will be best, but I can't imagine this won't work and I doubt it will be an issue long-term. No?

I am considering ordering a couple grafted persimmon and temporarily heeling them in my veggie garden over winter for spring 2019 planting as I don't have my spot prepped ( plus now I'm in hunting not planting mode).

Any thoughts? I know putting them where their permanent home is will be best, but I can't imagine this won't work and I doubt it will be an issue long-term. No?
Yes, I have a thought. I think you're right to be in hunting mode, not planting mode! Go get 'em!
(I have no experience with persimmons.)

I would wait until spring. My success rate with most trees is very, very high, but my success rate with grafted persimmons is probably only 50%. That is planting them right after receiving them and not heeling in. I think the long tap roots on persimmon make them harder to plant and get to live. I can't think of any advantage to getting them now rather than waiting until spring.

Thanks guys.......just what I was hoping to hear!
They will rest at home for the winter (when they arrive)