All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Hear and stalk" red stag

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I just had the most incredible experience of my hunting career. After a long day trekking around the mountains and calling to roaring red stags, i finally located one in a huntable location. He would respond to my hind calls, but unfortunately he wouldn't budge from his spot. After sneaking around downwind of him and calling the whole time, i had to cross a ravine and scale a steep slope to get up to him, while keeping juniper bushes and pine trees between us. I kept calling, and he kept roaring. Sounded like he was losing his mind. I finally got into position and could see his antlers in my scope, but again, he wouldn't budge from his spot. I kept up the hind calls while I closed the distance, literally crawling up the slope. He started getting restless and moving around. I got behind the trunk of a pine tree and peeked around. There he was, about 20 yards away, up above me, quartering toward me. I put the crosshair low-right on his chest and fired. He dropped immediately and rolled.

20201016_173454.jpg20201016_180059.jpg

Nice hunt & stag! How old do you think he is?

You’re having all the fun and suppressors to boot!

Nice stag, congrats!

Nice hunt & stag! How old do you think he is?

Thanks! Really hard to say how old. But I think he's just past his prime. Maybe 10-12 years?