All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halloween Buck ... almost

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well it was not exactly Halloween, but Halloween weekend is always a great weekend to be in a tree. Finally got out in the stand yesterday for only the 2nd time this year. Work & travel has been crazy and lots of family stuff going on past few months. Was out last weekend and buck movement was great. Saw 4 good bucks with 2 of them being shooters, so I had high hopes for yesterday. Was glad to finally be sitting in a tree.

Got in the stand above 2:30, my nephew was in his above 400 yards way. Most of the afternoon was very quiet and only saw 1 doe moving about 200 yards away. Then at 4:40, 1st couple of does came wandering out of the tag alder marsh & thicket. A few minutes later a small fork came to the field edge. Not what I was looking for but fun to watch him come into the food plot and chase the girls around. They were pretty annoyed by him, like someone's little brother.
The does left and the fork stuck around munching turnips. I heard a pretty deep grunt from behind me. The fork looked up and paused. He went back to eating and then looked up again. I heard a crunch off my back right should and the fork horn quickly left the field.
The buck came out under my tree at about 15 yards and his head was low, nose was up and he was licking the air. Had to quickly & quietly adjust my position. He was walking off my right shoulder and was moving to about 45 degrees angle from. I slowly pulled back and got my pin on his left shoulder. He finally paused at about 27 yards. Released my arrow and hear a loud thump. Arrow only went in about 8-10' and I was concerned with my shot, but sure I had my pin where it needed o be. As he ran off I saw blood spraying out his left side and saw him tumble about 40 yards. he got up and I lost him in the thicket.

Sat in my stand for about 20 minutes and decided to go see if there was a blood trail that we could come back later for. When I got to the grass, there was a lot of blood so I start to track him. Found about 50 yards from where I arrowed him. Very relieved to see that the arrow was low and right behind in left shoulder. When we gutted him, the arrow went into the heart and stopped right there.

We knick named him Lobster Claw and have lots of pics of him. The buck looks to be a 4.5 year old will try and confirm that with tooth evaluation. Total of 9 points and inside spread was 18.5". Weighed him tis morning and he field dressed at 227 lbs. Glad I had my nephew there to help get him out and even better to share the experience with him.

Been a dry spell for me last few years bow hunting, good luck to everyone else who is still in the hunt!

tomp buck 1.jpg

Almost like sitting in a cathedral ... great way to clear the mind!

stand view 1.jpg

My nephew is 6'4" and goes about 255 lbs ... young strong back, that is a good thing!

juhn weigh 1.jpg

Great buck and story to go with it!

Good story and buck, Congrats!

Congrats! Nice buck.

Bad a$$ looking buck. Great shot! I love it

VERY NICE!!

What a beautiful stand sight and buck.

Congrats.

Congrats on a great buck.

Congrats great looking buck !

Congrats.

Hey guys thanks! It has been a dry spell for me bow hunting the past few years. I have had a few opportunities at some great deer, but something went wrong at the last second. Began to second guess my approach to everything.

Nice to get some wood on the ball and get on base again, even better to share it with my nephew!

Great job!

Awesome buck! Congrats!

Congrats Spud! Dandy buck!

Good shootin!

Was able to pick up my buck mount from my taxidermist this weekend, he was my best bow buck.

More importantly, I got to share with nephew and he did the blood tracking.

Great experience for him to learn and to understand his learning curve ...

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1387.JPG

Last edited:
Really nice. Sure is one to be proud of!

He looks good.
Are those his sheds on the table?

He looks good.
Are those his sheds on the table?

No, unfortunately never found any sheds from him even though par of his core area was on our property.

Nice looking mount!