Friends Wisconsin turkey bonus tag hunt

makinprairie

5 year old buck +
My hunting buddy decided to come up and hunt my oak savanna habitat land yesterday. He had purchased a bonus tag, had the day off and fantastic Wi spring weather. I had arrived early , 4:45, and drove in to my deer blind with my camera. Plan was for him to walk in and sit with me, swap lies and swill coffee for a bit. He got sidetracked when he parked due to hearing a close gobble. By 5:45 I catch him walking to my blind toting a really nice tom, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/4 spurs.

It is fantastic for me to be able to share the hard work creating habitat with friends and family.

DSC03142.JPG
DSC03169.JPG

My hunting buddy decided to come up and hunt my oak savanna habitat land yesterday. He had purchased a bonus tag, had the day off and fantastic Wi spring weather. I had arrived early , 4:45, and drove in to my deer blind with my camera. Plan was for him to walk in and sit with me, swap lies and swill coffee for a bit. He got sidetracked when he parked due to hearing a close gobble. By 5:45 I catch him walking to my blind toting a really nice tom, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/4 spurs.

It is fantastic for me to be able to share the hard work creating habitat with friends and family.

View attachment 64553
View attachment 64555
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing

Can you tell us about the savanna a liitle more? Do you have pics? With the savanna Do you have more turkey use? I seen where Dr Craig Harper stated that he thought an oak tree savanna may be the best overall habitat for wild turkeys.

Can you tell us about the savanna a liitle more? Do you have pics? With the savanna Do you have more turkey use? I seen where Dr Craig Harper stated that he thought an oak tree savanna may be the best overall habitat for wild turkeys.

I purchased a 56 acre parcel of ex Christmas tree plantation that sat fallow for 2 decades and a year later started to transform it into a oak savanna dry mesic type prairie habitat. Oak savanna's can vary by definition especially when the amount of oaks per acre is considered. I mention this because some might say, "thats not oak savanna, too many or not enough oaks!".

Started the process by forestry mulching 28 of the acres in a somewhat random pattern following the natural topography. This plan yielded a LOT of edging and transitional vegetation which I think makes a huge difference in deer and turkey populations. After the mulching and spraying for invasive species, namely spotted Knapweed , we seeded with a very diverse mix of native forbs and grasses.

When we forestry mulched we left a lot of oaks, primarily consisting of red oaks, with some whites and burr's. We also left the native shrubs , hazelnuts and American plum and some white pine and wild cherry trees.

Now that the native species have established themselves pretty well I am concentrating on removing oaks in areas that are too dense leaving the white and burr's.

First picture is right after we forestry mulched one of the "units" as I call them.

Second picture is a aerial view showing the "units" that was mulched and seeded. The blue is approximate property lines, the small red circle is a wildlife pond dig.

Third picture is a few years ago of a "unit" that is doing very well with native species. Since that picture was taken I have reduced the amount of oaks presently by about a third.

And a video link and picture of the subject of the thread! :)

I have no doubt in my mind that the transformation from choked/dense stands of non-native Scot pines to what I call oak savanna habitat has made a astounding difference in the diversity and amount of wildlife now calling the place home, or at least traveling thru.

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_3927.jpeg
DSC00001.JPG
IMG_8701.JPG