All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Habitat / Outdoor Working Clothes

hesseu

5 year old buck +
A random topic, that I don't believe I have seen discussed here. I know most of us have done / still do the jeans and t-shirt thing. However, with the summer heat, I've got to believe there is better "gear" out there. I've invested in my hunting gear, and now I'd like to invest in some "work" / habitat gear. So, for those of you who have done this, any recommendations or things to stay away from? Winter seems much easier as I can throw on merino's and carhart and be just fine. Summer is what I'm more curious on.

Yes, jeans, canvas carhartt, etc. are all good strong materials when work outside, but miserable in the summer.

For bib overalls in the summer, I go with Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose Relaxed bibs. The are light weight and flex. Very tough material as I have not torn them in 2 years.
Flex Fire Hose Bibs

For a shirt, I go with a long sleeve polyester wick dry style shirt in light color. Something by Huk, Cabelas, etc. I wear a cotton t-shirt over to wick away the sweat.

A good visor rather than full hat lets my head breath as you loose a lot of heat up top.

Definitely white painter pants, I like my Carhartts. Sure, they are gonna get dirty and stained, but who cares...they are work pants.
White pants are so much cooler in hot temps and ticks show up better on them.
White, or light colored t shirts, and a white hat. Wearing dark stuff...blue jeans, etc, makes it feel 10 degrees hotter.
I like synthetic briefs, too. Cotton undies are the worst when sweating.

For general clothing, I wear cargo shorts and a light t-shirt. When I'm doing something where I need coverage (ticks, bugs, poison ivy,...) I pull on a pair of Deluth coveralls over top.

Probably the first item I'd consider buying is Kevlar chaps. I only wear them when doing chainsaw work but they are a great piece of safety equipment. I also wear timberline pro boots with toe protection.

Thanks,

Jack

Yes, jeans, canvas carhartt, etc. are all good strong materials when work outside, but miserable in the summer.

For bib overalls in the summer, I go with Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose Relaxed bibs. The are light weight and flex. Very tough material as I have not torn them in 2 years.
Flex Fire Hose Bibs

For a shirt, I go with a long sleeve polyester wick dry style shirt in light color. Something by Huk, Cabelas, etc. I wear a cotton t-shirt over to wick away the sweat.

A good visor rather than full hat lets my head breath as you loose a lot of heat up top.

Those bibs don't burn you up? They've also go their dry on the fly stuff as well...?

Others are saying the Carhart Force pants are to be looked at as well.

I some situations, I like nylon pants. They dry in a blink of an eye. If I will be walking thru wet, waist high weeds, I want nylon.
Jeans, or anything cotton, will still be soaked an hour later. Nylon dries in minutes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Only time I wear pants in the summer time is when I have too. Ok...that sounds wrong! Most of my habitat work in the summer is me on a tractor....thus it's cargo shorts, flip flops and a T-shirt and a bucket/boonie hat. Only time I will wear jeans is when I am in the woods getting cam cards and the like to avoid stinging nettle or if I am swinging a weed wacker....and even then it tends to be cargos and my mucks! I save the wood cutting, brush clearing, briar cutting stuff for the winter time. Warm weather is plotting, spraying and mowing time for me....and that is tractor work. And yes....I have funny tan lines on my feet from the flip-flops to prove it!

Not inexpensive by any means but a couple years ago I started using high tech clothes for hunting. They’re worth every cent. I’ve become a huge first lite fan. First light corrugate guide pants in the summer and carrharts in the winter. Light weight merino wool or a fishing shirt in the spring and summer - and everything gets a dose of permethrin once a month.

I've always looked for something similar in design and construction to the old Army rip-stop BDU's I wore in the military. I've been using Carhartt's Force Tappen cargo pant for the past 5 or 6 years. Recently I've been trying some of the Duluth Trading work pants, but man they're expensive.

I've always looked for something similar in design and construction to the old Army rip-stop BDU's I wore in the military. I've been using Carhartt's Force Tappen cargo pant for the past 5 or 6 years. Recently I've been trying some of the Duluth Trading work pants, but man they're expensive.

The firehose pants are expensive my buddy at work turned me on to them all he wears at work I think the last set he ripped were 5 years old. That’s wearing them at least once a week cutting welding and grinding in them.... the fire hose flex is where it’s at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if other places have army surplus stores but I love the army pants for habitat work. I like long sleeve fishing shirts for up top. They stay pretty cool and keep the sun and bugs off. I think mine are LL bean

For general clothing, I wear cargo shorts and a light t-shirt. When I'm doing something where I need coverage (ticks, bugs, poison ivy,...) I pull on a pair of Deluth coveralls over top.

Probably the first item I'd consider buying is Kevlar chaps. I only wear them when doing chainsaw work but they are a great piece of safety equipment. I also wear timberline pro boots with toe protection.

Thanks,

Jack
I second the Kevlar chaps for chainsaw work. They saved my leg from some serious damage. I also like wearing a fishing hat that has material to cover your ears and neck from the sun.20200619_075419.jpg

Last edited:
Those bibs don't burn you up? They've also go their dry on the fly stuff as well...?

I have no problem wearing them well into the upper 80's which we had last weekend. Keeps the skeeters & flys from biting. If it is really hot I will go to carhart cargo shorts.

I have lots of carhart bibs, pants, & jackets and are good stuff. Have never tried the force pants as I am happy with the Duluth Flex Fire House performance.

I usually wear this uniform:

1. Rubber boots
2. Kahki colored jeans so I know which jeans I have sprayed with permitherin. The only place I wear these jeans is my woods.
3. White T-shirt underneath, some cheap long-sleeve button up shirt from the thrift shop over the top with permitherin
4. Knee pads if I am kneeling on the ground a bunch to mess with my trees like last week.
5. Baseball cap with deep woods off 40 keeps bugs away
6. Silky Zubat on my right hip
7. If I am mowing or sawing some eye and ear protection.

MFDC0019.JPG

After last week I am adding a wristband on my right. Got a nasty case of poison ivy. I did however find out that apple cider vinegar DESTROYS poison ivy rash. It is clearing up nicely. I spent many hours on my hands and knees last week clearing all the competition around my trees so I could install the 115 4x4' weed mat.
IMG_3603[1].JPG

They also have pockets around the knees that you can insert kneepads into. After 3 knee surgeries, that helps reduce the wear and tear especially tree planting time.

I wear the relaxed fit Carhartt lightweight jean type material and a Carhartt Force longsleeve or shortsleeve T-shirt, Bogs 8” rubber shoes when it is wet in the morning and Wellingtons if it is dry. The Carhartt Force pants dont cut it in the south - black berry vines and green briars go through them as if they were toilet paper. I cant imagine working in cargo shorts - not even on the tractor, with all the summer dust, dirt, and bugs. We have been in the low to mid 90’s for the past three weeks.

So what are you going with in regards to boots?!

I know I’m the only person in the neighborhood that wears shorts and tee shirt on a tractor. Well until my neighbor sold to a guy from Florida. Now there are 2 of us. I spray my slip on shoes, socks, legs, shorts and shirt with permitrin and go. Today was a 3 cotton tee shirt day.

This thread made me realize I’m an idiot :). I have HUK fishing shirts at home but none at the farm. There cool and they dry out fast. On the boat I wear a long sleeve HUK because it keeps the sunburn away.