Growing Chestnut Trees from Chestnuts - Transferred from QDMA forum

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
This a thread back from 2012 that got me started growing chestnuts from seed. It is quite long but contains a lot of good reference material.

I have really enjoyed following the thread on growing oaks from acorns and since it is the beginning of the slow winter season here in PA, I figured I'd start one on growing chestnut trees. Whether you have Americans, Chinese, Hybrids or A. Chinkapins, chestnuts are one of the best mast trees you can have. They are nutritious, they reliably produce crops since they flower after the flower killing frosts are past, they are precocious nut producers, they drop their nuts during archery season and they are highly preferred by deer. I started growing chestnuts from seed about 4 years ago and have slowly improved the quality of my seedlings by fine tuning fertilizer rates and growing medium. Currently, I am starting them in large Jiffy pellets or 18 cell Rootmaker containers. The growing medium I use in the Rootmakers is a 50/50 Promix and Coir mix. I start them indoors as the root tips emerge which ususally occurs now through early March. After about 3 months, I transfer them to Root Trapper 1 gallon bags or 1 gallon Rootmaker pots for the remainder of the season. I use 50/50 Promix and local soil in the 1 gallon containers to keep cost down. I grew about 50 or so this year. They are Wildlife Hybrids from Empire Chestnut. The following pics were taken in early September of 2011 and all are first year seedlings.
Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Note that some of these1 years seedlings actually flowered their first year. I think there may be something to claims that root pruning enhances the precociousnous of some mast trees.
Picture011.jpg

Root mass
Picture030-1.jpg
Excited about this thread(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I have mine in the fridge and put them in miracle grow potting soil in a zip lock bags. I put them in around Christmas. Should I not see roots till March? Or should I expect to see roots much sooner than that?
I have read it can take 2-4 months, but need some re-assurance this is what suppose to be happening.....or not happening :-)
My plan is to transplant them into rm trays when they show life.
I have dunstans going, if that makes a difference
Nice info Grapevine. Thank you for sharing.
Do you have any photos of your 4 year old trees? Are they producing and how much did they produce this year?
i got some dunstan chestnuts this year.. i put all but three in the fridge.. left those out in dirt.. all three have sprouted...so I am pulling them all out to start growing..
Bigeight - 2 -3 months of time in the fridge is usually when I see them start to sprout. I have some sprouting now and they were picked and placed in the fridge in early November. I'll post some pics of what I have going so far this year later.
NH Mountains - I can get some photos of some of the 4 year trees later this week. About 50% of those trees produced chestnuts this year - light crops - about a dozen on each tree. None of those produced flowers as 1 year seedlings so I am anxious to see how last years do - they were planted out shortly after I took those pictures. Plus, the 4 year old trees were planted straight out from the 18 cell rootmaker or jiffy pellet containers and did not benefit from time spent in the 1 gallon root trapper bags.
You are a MASTER GARDENER.
Those are incredible.
Do you peel the seed first?
I have some Chinese seeds put in pots some peeled some not. I haven't had any sprout yet.
I have had good luck planting the seed right out side but have never tried them inside till now. They are fast growing.
I planted chestnuts this week, and will closely follow this thread. I'd like to learn about watering, lighting, growing conditions, and other tips. I have Wildlife Chestuts planted out, from last year's efforts, and Allegheny Chinkapin from the year before. AC planted in 2008 are producing 100s of nuts per tree.
Growing chestnuts has Huge advantages.
#1 A Dunstan Chestnut Seedling is $25 (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) while chestnut seeds are cheap.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
#2 Chestnuts have rapid mast production. Some of my Allegheny Chinkapins produced nuts in just one year, and larger Chestnuts begin production in 3-4 years.
#3 Chestnuts are a reliable crop, and attract deer to the property that has them.
Great thread! Please keep it going.
The 2nd hybrid in the pics has far more American characteristics than the first one. Those 2 are great example of what to look for between the Chinese and American chestnuts.
Thanks for sharing!!! When you say you use "Pro" mix, is that the brand name or?????
How often are you watering in the rootmaker cells?
Ahhhh, love seeing this! I have some wildlife chestnuts from Empire stratifying in the fridge right now, they went in on Nov. 1rst. I really need to get them going but am a little cramped for space right now with my oaks. Well really my oaks aren't the problem, them problem is that I decided to grow shrubs as well and that took 27 slots away from me. That isn't going so well though, so I may alter that plan and go ahead and get my chestnuts rolling here pretty quick. I will post up some pics when I do.
Those are really impressive for one year seedlings.
YIKES!!!!!!!
Glad I read this thread, it made me go look at my chestnuts. They are sprouting like mad, went in the fridge Nov. 4th. Looks like I am planting NOW. I am going to have plenty though, anyone need a few Wildlife Chestnuts from Empire? Speak quick if you do. I have about 1/3 sprouters right now, I am sure the rest will kick off like mad when they come out of the cold.
I'd try a couple or six...
Done, PM me your address.
I just finished checking my dunstan seeds put in the fridge Dec. 23, they look as if the root is starting to make its way out! Can I put them in jiffy pellets now or do I wait?
Okay guys, no more nut requests!(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
All are now spoken for. I planted 21 in RM 18 cells, sent some to Johnrpb, and some to Thayer. Also a few to Brushpile earlier this year. I have a dozen or so left that I am going to wait and see if they germ if they do and I don't need them they are going to bbarrett. I had to order a pound of them but knew there was no way I could use them all. I am not even sure if they will grow here due to our soil and climate, so I didn't want too many, really glad I could find some guys to use them. It will be neat seeing everyones results with them too.
I got no idea where I am going to plant all these trees I have going right now. I have already planted about 40 bare root AC.
I have 18 of the "wildlife" chestnuts in a rootmaker tray in the garage I would say about 1/2 are sprouting. I am watering every day, just using miricle grow potting soil which doesn't seem to hold much moisture. How wet do you guys keep yours?
I also have 9 caged tubes direct seeded in NE MO. As warm as it has been I am afraid they may have sprouted and froze.

E_308, the soil should dry out between watering.
Quote:
==================================
Originally Posted by worththewait
You are a MASTER GARDENER.
Those are incredible.
Do you peel the seed first?
I have some Chinese seeds put in pots some peeled some not. I haven't had any sprout yet.
I have had good luck planting the seed right out side but have never tried them inside till now. They are fast growing.
No, I don't peel them. Chestnut root tips emerge rather aggressively once they start. If you start to see root tips emerging and want to plant them all at once, simply take them out of the fridge and place them in a warm place. The ones that have not sprouted will do so within a few days. The ones you put in pots - are they outside or inside? If they are inside, did you cold stratify them first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemgrow
The 2nd hybrid in the pics has far more American characteristics than the first one. Those 2 are great example of what to look for between the Chinese and American chestnuts.
Thanks for sharing!!! When you say you use "Pro" mix, is that the brand name or?????
How often are you watering in the rootmaker cells?
There is a lot of variation in the Wildlfe Hybrids from Empire which, for me, is good because I think diversity is good. I am anticipating an extended drop time as a result. I think they select seed based primarily on nut size (small). I agree with your assessment that the second one looks more "American", but interestingly they don't mention American in the heritage - they are supposed to be Chinese, A.Chinkapin, and several other Asian Chestnut and Chinkapin crosses. When I get a chance, I will post a picture of a 4 year tree that is planted out that has the timber form, and produced chestnuts this year that look identical to American chestnuts.
Promix is a brand name - you can find it on Agway's website. My local Agway carries it. It is a pH balanced peat with pearlite and micronutrients. I mix it with horticultural grade coir which really enhances the aerobic characteristics of the mix.
I water the 18 cell rootmakers about 1x per week - when the top 1/2 inch is virtually powder dry. Chestnuts don't like to be over watered. A Chinkapins will die if over watered. The promix/coir mix has solved my A. Chinkapin growing problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire
I just finished checking my dunstan seeds put in the fridge Dec. 23, they look as if the root is starting to make its way out! Can I put them in jiffy pellets now or do I wait?
I would wait until I definitely see a tip. You could take them out of the fridge for a few days to see if that gets them started. If not, they have not stratified long enough. Remember, you need to keep them in a ziplock with some damp peat moss/paper towel/or something damp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_308
I have 18 of the "wildlife" chestnuts in a rootmaker tray in the garage I would say about 1/2 are sprouting. I am watering every day, just using miricle grow potting soil which doesn't seem to hold much moisture. How wet do you guys keep yours?
I also have 9 caged tubes direct seeded in NE MO. As warm as it has been I am afraid they may have sprouted and froze.
Potting soil generally is not a very good starting medium because it does not absorb water very well, and when it does it compacts and deminishes the aerobic characteristics of the soil - not good for new roots, especially when the only root that is growing is the initial root. I have learned the hard way. They will grow, but not very well and you will always have the too dry or waterlogged issues. I would recommend to anyone starting chestnuts (or any seed for that matter)to google Coconut Coir, Promix and Osmocote and buy some of each and make your own mix. You almost cannot over water using that mix. Since they are already in potting soil, I would follow brushpile's advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine
I water the 18 cell rootmakers about 1x per week - when the top 1/2 inch is virtually powder dry. Chestnuts don't like to be over watered. A Chinkapins will die if over watered. The promix/coir mix has solved my A. Chinkapin growing problems.
Good to know!! M.R. Byrd had good luck last year with the chinquapins in the metro mix 852. That mix is very porous, easy to get air to the roots and I had great luck with it last year.
My local place (Hummter International) carries both the metro mix and promix so I am in luck. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Do you suggest using the coir, pro mix initially during the cold stratification stage, or after they start to sprout? Mine have not come to life yet, but I could swap out the miracle grow potting soil for the coir/pro mix if necessary.
Great thread! Where can I buy some chestnuts seed this fall? Thanks again!!
Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by padeerhunter10
Doug
Do you want hybrids, pure american, pure chinese or does it matter?
i would say post any good source for all types..
more info is helpful
Oikos usually has several different chestnut type seeds for sale in the fall.
http://oikostreecrops.com/store/prod...eHist ory=cat
ACCF for 100% pure American Chestnuts (you cannot plant them with hybrids or Chinese etc type chestnuts tho).
10 seeeds for the 20 dollar donation
http://www.accf-online.org/seednuts.htm
Quote:
Oikos usually has several different chestnut type seeds for sale in the fall.
http://oikostreecrops.com/store/prod...eHist ory=cat
ACCF for 100% pure American Chestnuts (you cannot plant them with hybrids or Chinese etc type chestnuts tho).
10 seeeds for the 20 dollar donation
http://www.accf-online.org/seednuts.htm
Thanks, I'll check out Oikos, do they care the Allegany Chickapins also?
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check out Oikos, do they care the Allegany Chickapins also?
They have or had a chinquapin hybrid type seedling last I knew, but I don't think they had seeds for that one.
Quote:
Doug
http://empirechestnut.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeight
Do you suggest using the coir, pro mix initially during the cold stratification stage, or after they start to sprout? Mine have not come to life yet, but I could swap out the miracle grow potting soil for the coir/pro mix if necessary.
I just have mine in a plastic zip lock along with some damp sphagnum peat moss (the leafy stuff). I only put them in soil at planting time after the tip emerges. The sphagnum peat moss is suppose to inhibit mold growth which has held true for me. Before I use moss, I used damp paper towel and had mold problems. You probably could keep them in the potting soil until they germinate, it shouldn't make a difference while they are stratifying.
Grapevine,
Fantastic thread, I'm looking forward to following along. You're results certainly speak for themselves, those are awesome seedlings and root systems. Thanks for starting this thread, going to be a really good one I think.
Quote:
No, I don't peel them. Chestnut root tips emerge rather aggressively once they start. If you start to see root tips emerging and want to plant them all at once, simply take them out of the fridge and place them in a warm place. The ones that have not sprouted will do so within a few days. The ones you put in pots - are they outside or inside? If they are inside, did you cold stratify them first?
They have been in the fridge since they fell.
Do you have them loose in a bag or in a bag with some moist mix. I have never had one sprout in the fridge.
I have a number of them in pots in the house. Some I peeled and some I planted the unpeeled nut. Most for over 1-2 weeks but no sprouting.
Since most of the nurseries in the area are closed for the season I went to a "specialty" store to get my coir, and pro-mix. They had everything for growing indoor plants.
Amazing how many pot heads you can fit in one store (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) I must admit, those stoners knew their stuff. Had all the right supplies to do it right. And cheap too(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Did you go to Ann Arbor?
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
Did you go to Ann Arbor?
G
Funny(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
no, not Ann arbor.
I was such an idiot in there. It took me like 15 minutes to figure out why there were so many 18-25 yr olds that were doing their own nurseries. The marijuana tattoos on their arms finally made me realize.
I did get everything I needed for cheaper than I could find it online. I got 3.8 cubic ft of pro-mix for 31$ and 5kg of coir for 9.50. Pretty good prices imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by worththewait
They have been in the fridge since they fell.
Do you have them loose in a bag or in a bag with some moist mix. I have never had one sprout in the fridge.
I have a number of them in pots in the house. Some I peeled and some I planted the unpeeled nut. Most for over 1-2 weeks but no sprouting.
I have them loose in a bag with damp peat moss. Work has been hectic but I'llk post some more pics tomorrow.
Quote:
Funny(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
no, not Ann arbor.
I was such an idiot in there. It took me like 15 minutes to figure out why there were so many 18-25 yr olds that were doing their own nurseries. The marijuana tattoos on their arms finally made me realize.
I did get everything I needed for cheaper than I could find it online. I got 3.8 cubic ft of pro-mix for 31$ and 5kg of coir for 9.50. Pretty good prices imo
That's a real good price for the coir. What type of promix did you get? That will be enough to start a lot of chestnuts.

Quote:
That's a real good price for the coir. What type of promix did you get? That will be enough to start a lot of chestnuts.
I got coco tek 100% organic coconut coir by general hydroponics 11 pounds and
pro-mix that says sunshine on the packaging mix 4? Same stuff at the local nursery was 49$
Do grow lights need to be turned off for a few hours each day, or can I leave them on 24/7?
from a plant perspective there is a benifit from a dark period as well as the light periods.. It has been a while since since my last plant class, but basically light is like the foot on your car accelorator... dark is the required stop at the fuel pump to fill the tank back up..
I use a timer.. keep them on 14 hour cycles because I dont want the photoperiod to be shorter when I put them outside come spring..
bryan

These are some American Chestnuts that sprouted. It was a busy week last week and I didn't get to them when I should have. Roots should be at most half the length of these when you plant them.
Picture053.jpg

This is my bag of Wildlife hybrids - note some of them are sprouting in the bag. I will plant a batch next weekend.
Picture068.jpg

The 2 trays on the left are American. Tray on right is Wildlife.
Picture086.jpg
These are my A.Chinkapins from Empire planted in October.
Picture036.jpg

A.Chinkapins, DCO's Chinkapin Oaks and Sauls Oaks planted in the greenhouse October 2011. They all went into cold storage December 5. The A. Chinkapins had already sprouted.
Picture032.jpg

I chickened out keeping the A.Chinkapins in cold storage (as Empire instructs) and brought them inside last week.
Picture051.jpg

Picture of planted trays in cold storage.
Picture057.jpg
Nice looking greenhouse. Mind taking a picture of the entire thing from the outside next time you post pictures? I'm planning on building one in the future and looking for ideas. Great thread by the way. I have some empire chinese chesnuts in the fridge. So I'll be following this one closely.
Yeah, pretty jealous of the greenhouse setup myself.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
It will be several weeks before my chestnuts are ready for pictures, I just planted them last week. I bet within a week or 10 days I will be seeing some shoots though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by True
Nice looking greenhouse. Mind taking a picture of the entire thing from the outside next time you post pictures? I'm planning on building one in the future and looking for ideas. Great thread by the way. I have some empire chinese chesnuts in the fridge. So I'll be following this one closely.
It's not fancy but I built it pretty cheap.
Picture087.jpg
Pics of some 4 year old Wildlife Chestnuts planted out after 1 season in an 18 cell rootmaker.
Picture083-1.jpg

Picture080-1.jpg

Picture081-1.jpg

These were grown in tubes which made the trunks spindly and they struggled to stand upright after the tubes were removed. I have since gone to chicken wire cages to protect the seedlings. Hopefully this will result in a sturdier trunk.
Received my Dunstan Chestnut seedligs from ChestnutHill. They are nice looking seedlings and will be grown out in Root trapper bags for 1 growing season to get more developed roots.
Picture062.jpg

Picture065.jpg
Very nice set up. Thats exactly what I'm looking to do. Impressive watering system. Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Pics of some 4 year old Wildlife Chestnuts planted out after 1 season in an 18 cell rootmaker.
Are they producing?
Quote:
Are they producing?
Yes. First crop this past year. Viable chestnuts - not just hulls.
Got my first wildlife chestnut starting to pop a shoot up today. We'll se how they compete with the sawtooths, got some of them starting to pop up too.
Most of mine have been rooted down for a couple of weeks, no shoots coming up yet?
Grapevine,
Just what is the background of the Wildlife Hybrid? Great thread!
Quote:
Most of mine have been rooted down for a couple of weeks, no shoots coming up yet?
Noticed my first shoots today as well. Also have some that the roots rotted. This will resolve itself in the next few weeks as the sun gets higher here in PA. I know I could solve this with heating pads, but they are pretty expensive, just to push the growing season by a couple of weeks. I'll post some pics later this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldbred
Grapevine,
Just what is the background of the Wildlife Hybrid? Great thread!
Wildlife Hybrids are sold by Empire Chestnut - According to their description, they are extremely cold tolerant, extremely blight resistant, high yields, and a relatively small nut that is good for deer and turkeys. They are crosses of Chinese, A. Chinkapin, and several other Asian chestnut/chinkapin species. I am planting them along with pure Chinese, A. Chinkapin, American, and Dunstan (plus every oak I can get my hands on) in order to estabilsh as much diversity and variation as possible - in hopes of establishing more consistent crops and spreading the drop time out as wide as possible.
Great thread with lots of good info. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Wildlife Hybrids are sold by Empire Chestnut - According to their description, they are extremely cold tolerant, extremely blight resistant, high yields, and a relatively small nut that is good for deer and turkeys. They are crosses of Chinese, A. Chinkapin, and several other Asian chestnut/chinkapin species. I am planting them along with pure Chinese, A. Chinkapin, American, and Dunstan (plus every oak I can get my hands on) in order to estabilsh as much diversity and variation as possible - in hopes of establishing more consistent crops and spreading the drop time out as wide as possible.
I started doing the same a couple years ago. By spiecies, at what age have yours started producing?
So far my Dunstan chestnut seedlings are putting my oak seedlings to shame height-wise.
The Dunstan seems to send down a root and it takes awhile before the sprout appears but when it does you better plan on adjusting your lights closer to the ceiling (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by innova
So far my Dunstan chestnut seedlings are putting my oak seedlings to shame height-wise.
The Dunstan seems to send down a root and it takes awhile before the sprout appears but when it does you better plan on adjusting your lights closer to the ceiling (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Got any pictures?

Quote:
No hardwood mast producer grows like a chestnut IMO.

I'll get some pics up sometime this weekend.
Had a question about pots for these chestnuts. Right now I'm growing them in a 12" high, 2" diameter newspaper tube. Does anyone have an idea what size container I should transplant them into between now and planting time (mid-May)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushpile
I started doing the same a couple years ago. By spiecies, at what age have yours started producing?
Chinese usually start producing on my farm at about 5-6 years. A. Chinkapins in 2-3 years. Wildlife hybrids have started to produce at 4 years. Of course there a lot of variables - especially available moisture during summer. Last year we had a 7 week dry spell in late June through early August where NO rain fell and many young trees dropped the hulls prematurely. I am hoping the more developed root structure created by the Root Trappers will help mitigate this. I don't do any supplemental watering or fertilizing.
Quote:
I'll get some pics up sometime this weekend.
Had a question about pots for these chestnuts. Right now I'm growing them in a 12" high, 2" diameter newspaper tube. Does anyone have an idea what size container I should transplant them into between now and planting time (mid-May)?
If you're planting them out in May, just about any deep container will do - milk jugs, flower pots, etc. In 3 months, they are not likely to become too root bound.
For cold stratification in the fridge I was going to move my Chestnuts from miracle grow potting to Sphagnum moss. Worried about mold.
Did I buy the right stuff?
The stuff I bought is long fibered Sphagnum moss.
Has no soil, or peat in it.
Quote:
For cold stratification in the fridge I was going to move my Chestnuts from miracle grow potting to Sphagnum moss. Worried about mold.
Did I buy the right stuff?
The stuff I bought is long fibered Sphagnum moss.
Has no soil, or peat in it.
You bought the right stuff.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Thanks(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED).....
I've had AC produce nuts the following year from planting. Right now I'm confused by drought, but Chestnuts do produce far earlier than oaks. I had a Chinese, planted in 2008, flower in 2011, but drought killed any chance of nut production.
Making growing mix. Breaking up the coir.
Picture088.jpg

Adding Promix
Picture090.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Final product.
Picture091.jpg
Planting Wildlife Hybrids. Many of these are round indicating they were the only seed in the hull. I wonder if that is a chinkapin trait that they have?
Picture093.jpg

Some of my early plantings are starting to sprout.
Picture100.jpg

Another good way to start chestnuts - Jiffy Forestry Pellets. Some Empire Wildlife and Timber Hybrids.
Picture099.jpg
NEED HELP. I planted 25 Dunstans in Miracle Grow over two weeks ago, and have no germination. What should I do? Water, put them back in the frig until they sprout...(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I was sent a link on growing dunstans from a guy in Springfield, MO and it said they need to be refrigerated between 2 and 4 MONTHS before germination. I think you and I got them at about the same time right before Christmas so only about 1 month ago.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
I was sent a link on growing dunstans from a guy in Springfield, MO and it said they need to be refrigerated between 2 and 4 MONTHS before germination. I think you and I got them at about the same time right before Christmas so only about 1 month ago.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I know that guy.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) He had surgery today, so I'll blame the drugs for being stupid.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
I know that guy.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) He had surgery today, so I'll blame the drugs for being stupid.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Couldn't help myself! (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Hope the recovery goes Well(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Grapevine, I just now saw a very interesting comment you made. Something about the small round chestnut maybe being the only one in the hull, possibly an AC trait. Very interesting to me. I looked at all my wildlife chestnuts when they came in and the variation was amazing. I love variety, so that was fine with me. I had been wondering about those little nuts though, they just seemed different to me.
Related to that, pretty much all of my big ones are starting to send up a shoot. I know the small ones had germinated when I planted them, but so far none of them have sent a stem up yet. I even noticed that this morning before I read this thread and was wondering about it. I am not concerned now, just realize that with the diverse background these things have there will probably be alot of variation in growth pattern as well.
I have two shoots rising up from the newly planted Wildlife Chestnuts...those things are amazing.
Quote:
NEED HELP. I planted 25 Dunstans in Miracle Grow over two weeks ago, and have no germination. What should I do? Water, put them back in the frig until they sprout...(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
It sounds like you have a stratification problem -or- perhaps a hydration problem. I have no idea how they have been handled since they were picked so it is hard to say. If it were me, I would take them all out of the soil, soak half of them in water for 24 hours and then replant half of those and put the other half in the fridge for a month or 2 or until they start to germinate (storing in damp sphagnum moss). I would take the other half and place them back in the fridge for a month or 2 or until they start to germinate. This would aid in isolating the problem for future reference, plus you should salvage at least some of the seeds. I had all of my chestnuts in the fridge in damp sphagnum moss since early November. Some started to sprout in these cold conditions in the las 2 weeks. I took them all out last Sunday because I plan to plant all of my chestnuts over the next week or so (see previous pics). They have been in the warm now for 5 days and they are sprouting like crazy. By this time next week, all of my chestnuts will be planted. I don't plant a chestnut unless it is sprouted. Usually about 10 to 20% of them will never sprout, so why waste time and space with them. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Grapevine, I just now saw a very interesting comment you made. Something about the small round chestnut maybe being the only one in the hull, possibly an AC trait. Very interesting to me. I looked at all my wildlife chestnuts when they came in and the variation was amazing. I love variety, so that was fine with me. I had been wondering about those little nuts though, they just seemed different to me.
Related to that, pretty much all of my big ones are starting to send up a shoot. I know the small ones had germinated when I planted them, but so far none of them have sent a stem up yet. I even noticed that this morning before I read this thread and was wondering about it. I am not concerned now, just realize that with the diverse background these things have there will probably be alot of variation in growth pattern as well.
You may want to tug on them gently to see if they have established a secure root. I have problems with the early germinators (generally the round ones) rotting after I plant them. I have been attributing it to the fact that I don't use heat pads or supplemental lighting - I keep them in our sun room but temperatures in January are not ideal up here. Let me know how you make out.
Quote:
It sounds like you have a stratification problem -or- perhaps a hydration problem. I have no idea how they have been handled since they were picked so it is hard to say. If it were me, I would take them all out of the soil, soak half of them in water for 24 hours and then replant half of those and put the other half in the fridge for a month or 2 or until they start to germinate (storing in damp sphagnum moss). I would take the other half and place them back in the fridge for a month or 2 or until they start to germinate. This would aid in isolating the problem for future reference, plus you should salvage at least some of the seeds. I had all of my chestnuts in the fridge in damp sphagnum moss since early November. Some started to sprout in these cold conditions in the las 2 weeks. I took them all out last Sunday because I plan to plant all of my chestnuts over the next week or so (see previous pics). They have been in the warm now for 5 days and they are sprouting like crazy. By this time next week, all of my chestnuts will be planted. I don't plant a chestnut unless it is sprouted. Usually about 10 to 20% of them will never sprout, so why waste time and space with them. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do! How wet should the moss be? I did soak them prior to planting.
Good call grapevine. I can't check the ones at work tonight, but I have a flat of 9 here at home. Two little ones in that flat haven't sent up a shoot, the other 7 have. I pulled on them, one was solid, the other came right up and the root was about an inch long and rotted.
Maybe too wet, but also these got a little too damp during stratification and I had to throw some out due to mold. I was expecting to have some of these not make it, but funny that it is all the small ones.
Quote:
Good call grapevine. I can't check the ones at work tonight, but I have a flat of 9 here at home. Two little ones in that flat haven't sent up a shoot, the other 7 have. I pulled on them, one was solid, the other came right up and the root was about an inch long and rotted.
Maybe too wet, but also these got a little too damp during stratification and I had to throw some out due to mold. I was expecting to have some of these not make it, but funny that it is all the small ones.
That's another chinkapin trait. They don't tolerate wet at all. I'm probably loving mine to death as well - too much care = too much water(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do! How wet should the moss be? I did soak them prior to planting.
Soak it, then squeeze about 2/3 the water out.
Quote:
That's another chinkapin trait. They don't tolerate wet at all. I'm probably loving mine to death as well - too much care = too much water(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I only have about 5 DCO's that have survived my errors on leaving them in too wet of a medium in the fridge...out of a 1/2lb of them....STUPID ME!!!
Stupid is making the same mistake year after year.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) This year I labeled to pots, and water as appropriate, but still need a moisture measuring gadget.
Grapevine, when I started removing chestnuts from the pots, they had roots!!!(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) Now, if I can just get them to grow.
These wildlife chestnuts are amazing...I have about 1" of top growth after a couple weeks in the RM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer.qdma
These wildlife chestnuts are amazing...I have about 1" of top growth after a couple weeks in the RM...
I left my Wildlife Chestnuts in pots on the back deck, thinking they were safe 10' off the ground. Rodents got most of them, so I brought the pots inside, and over watered them.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) What few were left sent up shoots, by the leaves wilted off. They still have green stems, so hope they put on more leaves.
Like DCO, Chestnuts don't handle being over watered.
Quote:
Nothing grows like a chestnut, those thing continue to amaze me every year with the growth they put on at the farm.
I had about 75% success with growing them from seed...by planting them on their permanent location. One American Chestnut from seed was over 5' tall by year 2...before something bent over the rebar and the top was browsed off.
Its the one in the 5' tall white tree pro superwide on the left hand side of the pic. Not sure how much it would have grown (had it not been browsed off), this pic was in early July....and they are not done growing by then.
Trees8.jpg
Quote:
Just wait, they are about to turn it on. I have several that have 3"-5" of top growth and are starting to put on leaves. They are really chasing those sawtooths hard, they may catch them.
Just put some in the fridge wrapped in a lightly damp paper towel. I'll try to get moss on them asap. Should've I soaked them in water first? The towel is not really that wet. I am worried about them getting too wet. These are just off a local tree. Not sure what kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMN
Just put some in the fridge wrapped in a lightly damp paper towel. I'll try to get moss on them asap. Should've I soaked them in water first? The towel is not really that wet. I am worried about them getting too wet. These are just off a local tree. Not sure what kind.
Double check that they aren't buckeye/horsechestnut. I thought I had something last year till I found out what kind they were (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I just put about 20 chinese chestnuts in dirt this week, how long before I should start to see them sprouting upward? They had about 1"-2" roots sprouted when I planted them. This is my first chestnuts, so all the info. is greatly appreciated and a special thanks to grapevine for his assistance.
Heath
Quote:
Double check that they aren't buckeye/horsechestnut. I thought I had something last year till I found out what kind they were (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Why? Is there something wrong with those two types? I did some google searches and they do look like buckeye. Do the deer not like those types?
Quote:
Why? Is there something wrong with those two types? I did some google searches and they do look like buckeye. Do the deer not like those types?
Buckeye is a whole nother species...it is not an actual chestnut. Squirrels will eat the nuts I believe...but that is it. They are a pollination source for hummingbirds too.
Little, if any use by deer tho.
Is there anyway by looking at the nut if it's a Horse chestnut or Buckeye? These were growing in MN North of Minneapolis if that helps. I did some google searches and found that it looks like a Horsechestnut and a normal Chestnut.....Wasn't that helpful. Do any of you have any idea how to tell the difference on the nut and the fact that it was off a tree in the Northern Half of MN?
Try a bite, and see what it tastes like (don't swallow) if it is really bitter, horsechestnut. If its tastey, then you've got a good one(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
What did the burs look like the nuts came from. Real chestnuts (castanea species) have many many spines on them and look like this.
ChestnutBurs.jpg
It took mine about 2 weeks to send up a sprout. Taproot was 1.5" when I put them in potting soil /moss mix. First pick is from Sunday 1/29. Second pic is today, 2/1. Unbelievable.
This much growth in jusst 3 days!
Quote:
Can you post a pic of them? Where have they been between the time they dropped (which would have been last September or October) and when you put them in the fridge? If you had them sitting out, they are probably very dessicated and probably not viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSYelper
I just put about 20 chinese chestnuts in dirt this week, how long before I should start to see them sprouting upward? They had about 1"-2" roots sprouted when I planted them. This is my first chestnuts, so all the info. is greatly appreciated and a special thanks to grapevine for his assistance.
Heath
You will see sprouts in about 14 days. Good luck. I planted some chinese the same time I mailed those to you. I'll let you know when they sprout.
American Cestnuts starting to sprout.
Picture101.jpg

Those jokers have some serious lean to them, are they trying to grow towards a window???
Quote:
Can you post a pic of them? Where have they been between the time they dropped (which would have been last September or October) and when you put them in the fridge? If you had them sitting out, they are probably very dessicated and probably not viable.
I had them in a paper bag inside. So I'm guessing all this work and waiting has been wasted. Oh well live and learn I guess. I will still try to post a picture of them tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE, LLC
Those jokers have some serious lean to them, are they trying to grow towards a window???
Yup (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) I turn them everyother day. I start my early seeds in the living room which has a total window south facing wall. But it has its limitations.
Here they are. I hope one of you can tell me exactly what I have. These are from two different trees. The one lady who's yard they were in said the squirrels eat them like crazy and said that it was a chestnut tree. She lived in the city so there's no deer around to know if they were eating them. Does Buckeye or Horse Chestnut grow this far north? (Northern half of MN)
Photo0959.jpg
[/IMG]
That is a nickel in there not a quarter. Sorry.
are buckeye - Toss 'em and order a few Dunstans Chestnuthilltreefarm.com
Those are buckeye's and not chestnuts.
Crap! Well thank you guys very much. My wife will be happy at least(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Grapevine,
Thanks again for starting this thread, really enjoying it.
Planted these wildlife chesnuts last Wednesday, they already had about an inch of taproot showing. This picture is from yesterday morning and they are already noticably taller. Very impressed with how quickly they are growing.
Are those the ones I sent you John?
Do a chestnuts HAVE to go through a cold stratification process?
Or if you plant them right when they drop will they grow?
Since most of us will be ordering them from different places in Sep/Oct next fall, do we have to go through to refrigeration steps, or can we just pot em up and get them going?
Quote:
Are those the ones I sent you John?
Yep, you da man. Thanks again for sending those my way.
Quote:
Do a chestnuts HAVE to go through a cold stratification process?
Or if you plant them right when they drop will they grow?
Since most of us will be ordering them from different places in Sep/Oct next fall, do we have to go through to refrigeration steps, or can we just pot em up and get them going?
http://acffarms.org/papers/Growing%2...structions.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrpb
Grapevine,
Thanks again for starting this thread, really enjoying it.
Planted these wildlife chesnuts last Wednesday, they already had about an inch of taproot showing. This picture is from yesterday morning and they are already noticably taller. Very impressed with how quickly they are growing.
Looking good. I may have to set up some lights next year instead of relying on window light.
QUESTION: I have several blight-stricken American Chestnut stumps on my place. These must be over 100 years old and still sending up stump sprouts. If I plant Chinese Chestnut, Hazelnut, or Allegheny Chinquapins, do I run the risk of these new items catching the blight? And if so, how bad can they be affected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundsow
QUESTION: I have several blight-stricken American Chestnut stumps on my place. These must be over 100 years old and still sending up stump sprouts. If I plant Chinese Chestnut, Hazelnut, or Allegheny Chinquapins, do I run the risk of these new items catching the blight? And if so, how bad can they be affected?
I doubt there is any place on the east coast you could plant anything without the chance of blight. Its there to stay no matter if American Chestnuts are around or not.
If given the chance (light/nutrients), do they get big enough to produce nuts before being blighted again? How fast do they grow in a given year?
I planted all my dunstans today into 18 cell rootmaker trays. About 1/2 already had sprouts, or you could see them starting to break the shell at the tip.
When should I turn on my grow lights?
Also, how often do I water? I know the tendency is to over water, so I want to stick to a timeline. If I don't I will be loving them to death!
Quote:
I planted all my dunstans today into 18 cell rootmaker trays. About 1/2 already had sprouts, or you could see them starting to break the shell at the tip.
When should I turn on my grow lights?
Also, how often do I water? I know the tendency is to over water, so I want to stick to a timeline. If I don't I will be loving them to death!
I would not water anymore than when they dry out. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Its going to depend on temp and size of the seedlings. When they are first started, they require very little water IMO. Once they get 12-18" tall in an express 18 cell tray....they are going to use a whole lot more water then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundsow
Hazlenut is not susceptable to blight so they won't be affected at all. Chinese Chestnut are extremely blight resistant and most will grow very well and produce lots of chestnuts. Some will blight to the point they will struggle to produce. I have one that was planted almost 20 years ago that is still only 6 feet high because it keeps dying back. The vast majority will be fine. A. Chinkapin does blight but not as completely as American Chestnut. I plant it here in Schuylkill County and get nuts but they do die back. Recently I have been growing hybrids from Empire Chestnut that are supposed to be extremely blight resistant and have been encouraged with results so far. See earlier posts in this thread. What type of soils do you have?
Have your Wildlife Chestnuts contracted blight?

Quote:
Have your Wildlife Chestnuts contracted blight?
After 4 or 5 years, so far no indication.
Quote:
After 4 or 5 years, so far no indication.
Thanks, and good to hear. My focus will be on Dunstan, Chinese, and Wildlife Chestnuts then.
I've got my Dunstans going pretty good now, most have about 1/2"-1" taproot. I have them planted with 3/4 the nut under the soil, and the rest above, or even with the soil. Most are starting to raise up a little and the root is acting like a kick stand.
Is this fine, normal? Or should I sprinkle a little more soil on top of them to keep the root under the soil?
The wildlife chestnuts continue to grow like crazy, very impressed with their growth for the first couple of weeks.
Quote:
I've got my Dunstans going pretty good now, most have about 1/2"-1" taproot. I have them planted with 3/4 the nut under the soil, and the rest above, or even with the soil. Most are starting to raise up a little and the root is acting like a kick stand.
Is this fine, normal? Or should I sprinkle a little more soil on top of them to keep the root under the soil?
Normal. I wouldn't mess with them. You'll see that root split in half in a few days and the shoot will emerge from there.
How many days do you guys go between watering with a 50/50 pro-mix/coir mix?
I would like to get on more of a schedule. Its tough to not water them when you "think" they are getting dry(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Got my first sprouts headed upward. There are already 6-8 of the chestnuts that I planted last Tuesday putting out sprouts. Can't wait for them to start putting on leaves. As a new tree to out farm/area, I'm really excited about the potential.
Quote:
How many days do you guys go between watering with a 50/50 pro-mix/coir mix?
I would like to get on more of a schedule. Its tough to not water them when you "think" they are getting dry(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Most of mine have firmly rooted, and two have sent up shoots. It appears that they develope a good root system prior to ant top growth.
I kept the soil damp, but not wet, and mine are in pots, which makes it easier to control soil moisture.
I might be a little to gun shy about having them rot. I think I am keeping my soil too dry at this point.
I suggest pots or cheap plastic Dollar General bins to start them. I like root pruned trees, but I'm not willing to lose seed in rootmakers.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) Soil moisture is easier to control in pots. Bins have lids, and can be sealed to trap moisture/humidity. A few holes in the lids allow air in. The lid on the bin trick has worked well for me.
Quote:
I might be a little to gun shy about having them rot. I think I am keeping my soil too dry at this point.
Water them (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) Actually, chestnuts are not nearly as water sensitive as A Chinkapins are. I'm having trouble with mine again this year - after I had great initial success. I'm beginning to think that they are blighting. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) I'm about ready to give up on the A.Chinkapins.
I've got the first small leaves starting to open up! So far I've got about 15 out of 24 chestnuts sending up shoots. Am really excited about trying these on the farm.
Would anyone have any chesnuts or acorns they could spare? I would love to try the chesnuts for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Water them (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) Actually, chestnuts are not nearly as water sensitive as A Chinkapins are. I'm having trouble with mine again this year - after I had great initial success. I'm beginning to think that they are blighting. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED) I'm about ready to give up on the A.Chinkapins.
M.R. Byrd had great luck with the chinquapins using the metro mix 852 potting mix....its a very aerated mix with I think 60% pine bark in the mix....may want to use it for comparison sake?
These wildlife chestnuts continue to amaze me with the amount of growth they are putting on.
Quote:
M.R. Byrd had great luck with the chinquapins using the metro mix 852 potting mix....its a very aerated mix with I think 60% pine bark in the mix....may want to use it for comparison sake?
I'll definitely be trying that next year. In the meantime, some of the A Chinkapins that died off are resprouting at the soil level. Interesting.
Quote:
These wildlife chestnuts continue to amaze me with the amount of growth they are putting on.
Your grow lights must really be doing the job. I'll try to post some pictures of mine that are only getting sunlight in our sun room.
Quote:
Your grow lights must really be doing the job. I'll try to post some pictures of mine that are only getting sunlight in our sun room.
Agree. What kind of lights are you using?
Wildlife Chestnuts - oldest batch.
Picture102.jpg

American Chestnuts
Picture103.jpg

Pitiful A Chinkapins
Picture105.jpg

But ther's hope!
Picture104.jpg
Thanks for the chestnuts folks...here are a couple pics for your enjoyment...Wildlife chestnut from 2-5-12

Same wildlife chestnut as of 2-14-12...
The chestnut and misc tray as of 1-11-12...
and the same tray as of today...2-14-12
I planted my chinese chestnuts on 2/2, and now have some sprouts over 8 inches. I'm trying to plan for spring at this point. I plan on transplanting them to their perm. homes as some as possiblility of frost is gone. What height tree tube would you put around these little fellows? I can get any height, so just wondering what others have used in the past. Thanks for advice.
Heath
here are pics of chineese chestnut that I just moved from 18 cell rootmakers to 1 gallon bags. These were planted into the 18 cell rootmakers jan 4th..
for comparison this is a dunston chestnut planted into rootmaker 18 cell on the same day.. also just tranferred it to a 1 gallon bag.. hope to compare how well they grow in the bag to the 18 cell
Awesome looking baby trees guys. You should be so proud (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSYelper
I planted my chinese chestnuts on 2/2, and now have some sprouts over 8 inches. I'm trying to plan for spring at this point. I plan on transplanting them to their perm. homes as some as possiblility of frost is gone. What height tree tube would you put around these little fellows? I can get any height, so just wondering what others have used in the past. Thanks for advice.
Heath
I would put them in 5' chicken wire. I have planted many chestnuts in tubes and they generally do OK, but not as good as oaks. The real issues I have had with tubes is wasp nests - they occlude the opening of the tube causing all kinds of problems, plus when the raccoons discover the wasp eggs and larvae, they can do major damage. The other issue I have with tubes is mice nests in the winter (deer mice). They make nests in the middle of the tube and girdle the trees. Just my 2cents.
I have been offered up to 20 lbs of American Chestnuts harvested last fall. The problem is that they have been stored in a freezer until now. I tried to research it but all that I can find is that you cannot cold stratify in a freezer and that freezing may kill the seeds. Does anyone have any experience with this? With 20 lbs, I don't need a high percentage of germination get the number of seedlings I am after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagantpr
I have been offered up to 20 lbs of American Chestnuts harvested last fall. The problem is that they have been stored in a freezer until now. I tried to research it but all that I can find is that you cannot cold stratify in a freezer and that freezing may kill the seeds. Does anyone have any experience with this? With 20 lbs, I don't need a high percentage of germination get the number of seedlings I am after.
They do kill pretty easily in freezing conditions. I got my refrigerator temp a little low this year and mildly froze some of my chestnuts. Germination rate was way down. Put them in a plastic bag with some moist paper towel for a few days and place in a warm place. You will know very quickly if they are still viable. Where did you find a tree that produced that many nuts? Are you sure they are American?
Quote:
They do kill pretty easily in freezing conditions. I got my refrigerator temp a little low this year and mildly froze some of my chestnuts. Germination rate was way down. Put them in a plastic bag with some moist paper towel for a few days and place in a warm place. You will know very quickly if they are still viable. Where did you find a tree that produced that many nuts? Are you sure they are American?
Actually I craigslisted a request and got a few response with both American and Chinese. This response swears he has Americans and says the trees are very large. I am trying to get a pic of the trees and will let you know.
Thanks for the tip on testing them out. It sounds like its at least worth the effort to drive over and pick them up.
Quote:
Actually I craigslisted a request and got a few response with both American and Chinese. This response swears he has Americans and says the trees are very large. I am trying to get a pic of the trees and will let you know.
Thanks for the tip on testing them out. It sounds like its at least worth the effort to drive over and pick them up.
I'd for sure split the costs for some of the American Chestnuts...if they are indeed American.
I have a few of my Dunstans that have sprouted double trunks. Is this bad?
Should I nip one of them off and leave the biggest of the two remaining?
Quote:
how luck do you feel???
i have had a few that were double trunks.. turned out there were 2 separate root systems and 2 separate tap roots that came from each side of the chestnut germ center. i was able to separate and grow independantly.. both are a little behind the single trunk ones..but both are viable..
How do you remove them from the nut portion?
Quote:
Did you ever see a double trunked tree in the woods? Why would you think this was bad????(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
I'd for sure split the costs for some of the American Chestnuts...if they are indeed American.
When I get them, I will run Grapevine's viability test on a sampling. If a percentage of them sprout, I will be sure to get some to you.
If I never get to see the trees, is there a way to tell an American seed from a Chinese seed?
Quote:
When I get them, I will run Grapevine's viability test on a sampling. If a percentage of them sprout, I will be sure to get some to you.
If I never get to see the trees, is there a way to tell an American seed from a Chinese seed?
Also, check them from Horse Chestnut and Ohio Buckeye. I'd guess they are one of the two. If they're American Chestnut, they would be a rare find.

Quote:
The American Chestnuts are smaller and have more fuzz on them so to speak. Only looking for 5-10 viable nuts if that is possible for a comparsion with my ACCF American Chestnuts.
Here are a couple websites to help with identification.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/comparison/
http://masschestnut.org/basicTreeID.php
Quote:
American Chestnuts are covered with a fine hair and are at most as big as the tip of your thumb. Most other chestnuts generally are larger. What part of Schuylkill County are you in? Where are the seeds coming from? Somebody's yard or from trees in the woods? There are quite a few stump sprouts in Schuylkill County that are producing so it is possible they are Americans.

Quote:
Did you ever see a double trunked tree in the woods? Why would you think this was bad????(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
My concerns were that in an 18 cell rm tray that a double trunk would be too crowded. Leaving one to get shaded out anyway, so remove it before it is a problem.
My other concern is transferring to the field and having to tube a double trunked tree.
Didn't know if I should "nip it in the bud"?....literally (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
can you post a pic??
Quote:
My concerns were that in an 18 cell rm tray that a double trunk would be too crowded. Leaving one to get shaded out anyway, so remove it before it is a problem.
My other concern is transferring to the field and having to tube a double trunked tree.
Didn't know if I should "nip it in the bud"?....literally (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I'd leave it, I see double trunked trees in the woods all the time and have a few acorns that do the same thing. Never had one shade out the other, they usually grew at the same rate in the cells. They will also not get too crowded in the cells, they will max the cells out either way if they have one or two sprouts coming up so that does not make a difference.
I have about 20 that never sent out a true taproot. They had the beginning of one, so I put them in soil, but never grew. I don't think I watered it enough to keep it going. I peeled the shell, soaked them and replanted. Nothing!
They have been in the dirt for about 14 days peeled. Can I throw them back in the fridge for a month without the shell? They are still really firm, and no signs of rot/ mold.
What's my plan of attack? If there is any.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I'm removing any double trunks that I plant.
The reason is that after a big windstorm last summer I lost probably 6 decent sized white and red oaks that were double trunked. That may not sound like a big deal but I don't have a lot of good sized oaks to start with so this was a real bummer. I think having a double trunk at ground level is a premature death sentence for that tree.
I know it happens naturally, and I don't roam the woods taking out double trunked trees but if I am planting stuff on purpose I will manage them this way.
After reading on the internet, and seeing some YouTube videos on growing chestnuts, it seems most nurseries Fertalizer their chestnuts every other, or every third time they water with an acid type Fertalizer.
Do you guys do this?
Wondering, because the mix I used with 50/50 pro-mix/coir their wouldn't seem to be a whole lot of nutrients avaialbe?
Looks like another American Chestnut that is blight resistant.
http://www2.volstate.edu/tnchestnut/...ndchestnut.htm
Seems to be a few sources on Ebay for some chestnuts...this one seems to be the real deal for anyone that wants the regular American Chestnut. Had the leaves verified as being pure American as well and can provide the info on that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Genuine-A...em3f13ed 290f
Quote:
Seems to be a few sources on Ebay for some chestnuts...this one seems to be the real deal for anyone that wants the regular American Chestnut. Had the leaves verified as being pure American as well and can provide the info on that.
Figured you would have kept that one to yourself?(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
Figured you would have kept that one to yourself?(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Looking for a few guinea pigs to give it a try first. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I gotta check with The ACCF to see if I can even plant them on my farm next to their stuff anyways.
Quote:
American Chestnuts are covered with a fine hair and are at most as big as the tip of your thumb. Most other chestnuts generally are larger. What part of Schuylkill County are you in? Where are the seeds coming from? Somebody's yard or from trees in the woods? There are quite a few stump sprouts in Schuylkill County that are producing so it is possible they are Americans.
These nuts are actually in southern Berks county, I believe in a farm yard. I am dealing with a grandson and his grandfather so I am not overly confident that they are American, even though the grandfather swears they are. He says he has two trees, each over 60 years old that are bearing fruit. He also has two smaller trees that haven't started bearing yet.
The plan is to meet up with the grandson Monday afternoon. I fully expect to see him carrying 20 lbs bag of horse chestnuts, but you have to have faith.
Quote:
These nuts are actually in southern Berks county, I believe in a farm yard. I am dealing with a grandson and his grandfather so I am not overly confident that they are American, even though the grandfather swears they are. He says he has two trees, each over 60 years old that are bearing fruit. He also has two smaller trees that haven't started bearing yet.
The plan is to meet up with the grandson Monday afternoon. I fully expect to see him carrying 20 lbs bag of horse chestnuts, but you have to have faith.
If all else fails, that source I listed seems to have the real deal.
He sent in leaves, twigs etc to The ACF.
The American Chestnut Foundation (Dr. William White).Dr. White's statement is as follows:
"The sample you sent was of an American chestnut tree, based on the lancolate shape with a cuneate base and acuminate tip. The teeth are large and tapered with some forward pointing, however. The buds are brown and cylindrical shaped, and petioles are a burgundy wine red color, both American chestnut traits. On the abaxil side of the leaf, there are simple hairs along the midrib about 1.1mm long. There also were four celled heads on the glandular hairs, indicating American chestnut for sample #2. Sample #1 was like #2, but the leaves were more ovate with forward pointing teeth, possibly a shade leaf. The simple hairs were 1.3 mm long and there was rectangular two-celled glandular hair, another American type."

Quote:
I have about 20 that never sent out a true taproot. They had the beginning of one, so I put them in soil, but never grew. I don't think I watered it enough to keep it going. I peeled the shell, soaked them and replanted. Nothing!
They have been in the dirt for about 14 days peeled. Can I throw them back in the fridge for a month without the shell? They are still really firm, and no signs of rot/ mold.
What's my plan of attack? If there is any.(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Anyone got an answer for this?
Quote:
Anyone got an answer for this?
So they cracked open, but now over 2 weeks later have nothing to show for it? Sounds like they are toast to me.
I peeled them when they didn't sprout after a handful of days. Then they got a bulge like they were gonna sprout, but never did. Kinda sprouted a nipple, but never became a true root.
I did a float test on them yesterday and all passed but 1.
I either didn't water them enough when I returned them to soil after peeling, or didn't cold stratify them long enough to begin with?
Can they return to dormancy? Then restart the process? Similar to an early warm up in late winter, then getting cold again?
Quote:
I peeled them when they didn't sprout after a handful of days. Then they got a bulge like they were gonna sprout, but never did. Kinda sprouted a nipple, but never became a true root.
I did a float test on them yesterday and all passed but 1.
I either didn't water them enough when I returned them to soil after peeling, or didn't cold stratify them long enough to begin with?
Can they return to dormancy? Then restart the process? Similar to an early warm up in late winter, then getting cold again?
Post up some pics if you can, do they still look fresh and viable?
Quote:
Post up some pics if you can, do they still look fresh and viable?
Yes, they still look very viable.
I use my phone for a computer now, and wouldn't know how to begin to post a pic from it(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Still looks good to me. If I was you i would put them in a ziploc bag/tupperwear container with some damp paper towels and keeping in an area that stays warm. I've had excellent success germinating the acorns and wildlife chesnuts in my other thread that way. Being in the sealed bag/container ensures a high moisture level and helps them to germinate.
Will do, thanks!

Quote:
If all else fails, that source I listed seems to have the real deal.
He sent in leaves, twigs etc to The ACF.
The American Chestnut Foundation (Dr. William White).Dr. White's statement is as follows:
"The sample you sent was of an American chestnut tree, based on the lancolate shape with a cuneate base and acuminate tip. The teeth are large and tapered with some forward pointing, however. The buds are brown and cylindrical shaped, and petioles are a burgundy wine red color, both American chestnut traits. On the abaxil side of the leaf, there are simple hairs along the midrib about 1.1mm long. There also were four celled heads on the glandular hairs, indicating American chestnut for sample #2. Sample #1 was like #2, but the leaves were more ovate with forward pointing teeth, possibly a shade leaf. The simple hairs were 1.3 mm long and there was rectangular two-celled glandular hair, another American type."
Call off the biologists on this one. I now have a bag of 700, partially frozen Chinese Chestnuts.
Quote:
Call off the biologists on this one. I now have a bag of 700, partially frozen Chinese Chestnuts.
At least now you know tho huh? (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Quote:
Still looks good to me. If I was you i would put them in a ziploc bag/tupperwear container with some damp paper towels and keeping in an area that stays warm. I've had excellent success germinating the acorns and wildlife chesnuts in my other thread that way. Being in the sealed bag/container ensures a high moisture level and helps them to germinate.
Looks like its still viable to me as well. Bright in color and looks to be starting a tap root in that pic.
Quote:
Lemme know if you wanna sell 50-100 of em'(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Guess its safe to say that giving up hope on 100% American Chestnuts is not an option...nor should it be with these results!!
This is known as the Nathan Pease tree....it blighted a few times...but healed over in these series of pics. Phenominal growth to boot in those few years!!!
Nathan Pease tree....series of pics.
http://www.accf-online.org/nathanblightold
The photo on 09-03-99 in the above link...sure looks awfully similiar to one chestnut I have on my place huh?? (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
AmericanChestnuts003.jpg
Quote:
Lemme know if you wanna sell 50-100 of em'(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I am doing the warm germination test on 100 of them to get a viability percentage. I have a friend who wants 100, if I end up with more than that, I will just send you your quantity.
Quote:
At least now you know tho huh? (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
But I already was dreaming of associating my surname with my discovered variety.
You are right though, learning something is always fun. A week ago, I didn't know the difference between the two.
Quote:
I am doing the warm germination test on 100 of them to get a viability percentage. I have a friend who wants 100, if I end up with more than that, I will just send you your quantity.
I would appreciate it. I had some ordered, to find out a couple weeks later they couldn't fill my order. By that time every one was sold out.
Quote:
Guess its safe to say that giving up hope on 100% American Chestnuts is not an option...nor should it be with these results!!
This is known as the Nathan Pease tree....it blighted a few times...but healed over in these series of pics. Phenominal growth to boot in those few years!!!
Nathan Pease tree....series of pics.
http://www.accf-online.org/nathanblightold
The photo on 09-03-99 in the above link...sure looks awfully similiar to one chestnut I have on my place huh?? (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
AmericanChestnuts003.jpg

I sure hope that tree of yours works out. It's not a matter of if we get the American Chestnut back, its a matter of when.
Quote:
After reading on the internet, and seeing some YouTube videos on growing chestnuts, it seems most nurseries Fertalizer their chestnuts every other, or every third time they water with an acid type Fertalizer.
Do you guys do this?
Wondering, because the mix I used with 50/50 pro-mix/coir their wouldn't seem to be a whole lot of nutrients avaialbe?
^^^^^^^^^^?????????
Quote:
I will be the guinea pig. He agreed to do a buy it now. $20 bucks for 20 seeds. If it doesnt work out well then Im out $20. I can gamble that much and not feel too bad about it. If it does work though...heck of a deal. We will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_archer
I will be the guinea pig. He agreed to do a buy it now. $20 bucks for 20 seeds. If it doesnt work out well then Im out $20. I can gamble that much and not feel too bad about it. If it does work though...heck of a deal. We will see.
I have emailed the guy a few times and he seems very passionate about those trees and seem to be the real deal American Chestnut. He sent me a copy of his account with the pics and I gave him this link to post up on if he so chooses.
The trees have just really started producing,
"In fall of 2009 I got a few hundred nuts; in fall of 2010 I got 1500; and last fall 2011 I got 3300!" Sounds like they are just going to really start putting on the goods so to speak. Those trees sure look all American to me in growth form. They are open grown with a lot of lower limbs with the central leader. Seeds also look all American in size with the "fuzz" on them from the pics he sent me.
Hopefully he will join and share those pics with us all.

I have to follow up with him. I will give the forum a 2nd mention. It sure would be cool for him to share some pics of the trees with us here.
Quote:
I have to follow up with him. I will give the forum a 2nd mention. It sure would be cool for him to share some pics of the trees with us here.
Yes it sure would!! I gave him the info on Big Rock Trees to get some rootmaker goods for growing the chestnuts.
Salesman at heart. I like it. My 20 are on the way to me later today. I gave him the info to check us out here. Thanks for the pm response.
Quote:
Salesman at heart. I like it. My 20 are on the way to me later today. I gave him the info to check us out here. Thanks for the pm response.
He is using yogurt containers for growing them now...figured rootmakers would be better for the long term survival for him...not being a salesman....being a concernded American Chestnut Grower. (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
I'm sure if he gets on here and takes a look at some of our Chestnut or Oak growing threads he will put the order in.
I ordered 12 from Larry as well. I have 12x1 gallon rootmakers ready to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyED
I ordered 12 from Larry as well. I have 12x1 gallon rootmakers ready to go.
Are you planning on planting them straight into the 1 gallon rootmakers?
Quote:
Are you planning on planting them straight into the 1 gallon rootmakers?
I think so.
Do you think that is not a good idea? He is also selling some that are germinated already and already sprouted. He doesnt have any of those right now but he is selling me some that should be close that he has been incubating.

Quote:
I think so.
Do you think that is not a good idea?
Yes, I think you would lose a lot of the benefit from using rootmakers if you planted them straight into the 1 gallons. If you planted right into the 1 gallon they would not benefit from the tap root being airpruned at ~4 inches like in the 18 cell rootmakers (air pruning apparently induces root branches only about 4 inches back on a root). This initial pruning is what induces the fiberous root system we are all going for. Once you have laid the ground work for the great root system by air pruning the taproot in the 18 cell, the 1 gallon containers provide the benefit of more space for the roots to grow in and prevents them from circling the container.
Important to note that if an acorn/chestnut was planted straight into the 1 gallon pots it would send its unpruned taproot all the way to the bottom of the container. It would most likely eventually be guided to one of the opening and air pruned, but the taproot would develop side roots only on a portion of the taproot.
Does anyone know if this EBAY guy has any more nuts or auctions planned. I'd love to get a dozen and try them. Seems pretty interesting. I've got a lot of old chestnut stumps on the farm, so I've got a lot of blight, but would give er a shot for 20 bucks or so.
Gotcha. Good call. For some reason I forgot the 1 gallon pots were suggested for phase 2 which is why I purchased them in the first place. What do you think about starting them in roottrapper bags from the get go? I would like to put these in bigger containers to start to avoid transplanting if possible. It would be nice to just kind of start them and leave them in the same container until final planting site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey135
Does anyone know if this EBAY guy has any more nuts or auctions planned. I'd love to get a dozen and try them. Seems pretty interesting. I've got a lot of old chestnut stumps on the farm, so I've got a lot of blight, but would give er a shot for 20 bucks or so.
Yes, he does. I'm sure if you sent him a message he'd give you the same deal as FL_Archer.
This auction ends in 1.5 days:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Genuine-A...4&cmd=ViewItem
This auction ends in 2.5 days:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Genuine-A...4&cmd=ViewItem
John! I'll keep ya'll posted.
Quote:
Gotcha. Good call. For some reason I forgot the 1 gallon pots were suggested for phase 2 which is why I purchased them in the first place. What do you think about starting them in roottrapper bags from the get go? I would like to put these in bigger containers to start to avoid transplanting if possible. It would be nice to just kind of start them and leave them in the same container until final planting site.
I do not have any experience with the roottrapper bags yet (i have some on the way),but i would imagine you'd have the same problem as the 1 gallon pots since the bags are 12 inches deep.
Quote:
I do not have any experience with the roottrapper bags yet (i have some on the way),but i would imagine you'd have the same problem as the 1 gallon pots since the bags are 12 inches deep.
I thought some guys were doing acorns and chestnuts right into the bags and there were no issues. I didn't think there was air pruning but i thought the bags use their own technology to give you the killer root systems we are all looking for. Smsmith uses the bags.
Checkout this post.
Here is the guy's email to order those American Chestnuts direct and not have to go thru ebay.
lawrence_samuelson@hotmail.com
I culled some Wildlife Chestnuts this weekend when I was doing my transplanting. Roots on them were very interesting. They went down in the RM 18 and pruned, but then they became seriously thickened. No kidding, they looked like a carrot. They had some roots coming off the sides, but not like what I was expecting. I haven't seen any of my oaks do that yet. If I can get some pics tonight I will, if they haven't dried out too much for you guys to see what I am talking about.
I'll post up some pics of my chestnuts here in a minute.
Quote:
I culled some Wildlife Chestnuts this weekend when I was doing my transplanting. Roots on them were very interesting. They went down in the RM 18 and pruned, but then they became seriously thickened. No kidding, they looked like a carrot. They had some roots coming off the sides, but not like what I was expecting. I haven't seen any of my oaks do that yet. If I can get some pics tonight I will, if they haven't dried out too much for you guys to see what I am talking about.
I'll post up some pics of my chestnuts here in a minute.
A Chinkapins have a thick carrot like taproot.
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^?????????
Buy some osmocote and fertilize them. I always mix some Osmocote with the mix since coir has no nutrients.
This is all of my Wildlife Chestnuts. I ordered 1 lb of seed from Empire just because that was the smallest quanitity. I didn't want alot because honestly I don't know if they will grow here in the TX panhandle or not, this is an experiment. I sent some seed here and there to several folks, and then culled some seedlings this weekend. I have 15 left, and will probably cull a few of them. My goal is to end up with 10 good trees. Seed went in the cells about 5 weeks ago. To me these chestnuts seem harder to grow than oaks, they are more sensitive. I am ready for spring to get them out in the sun and see what they will do.
I have two trees with a split trunk I am saving just to see what they will look like.
Chest22Feb.jpg
Quote:
Buy some osmocote and fertilize them. I always mix some Osmocote with the mix since coir has no nutrients.
Any guess on how much to add at this stage? Most are 2-5" tall and just starting little leaves. Hate to fry them, trying to help.
I think that type of Fertalizer comes in granular/beads. So I would add it by laying on the surface, or mixing it with the water?
Never used the stuff, or been successful fertilizing things in early stages before. I have toasted a few things in the past by Fertalizing them(INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)