All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got one

Congrats. How old do you think he is? Are you getting it mounted or European?
I was set on a European but the wife is insisting on a shoulder mount for the cabin, she says he is "good looking". How do I argue with that?

I'm guessing that he is 3.5 but I really don't know. All of the yearling bucks from the area that we have weighed have been 105-110. This one was 149. Seems to have more mass, neck size, and body weight than the 2.5's in our area. Anyone with thoughts on age please share.

Last edited:
That one side is really cool. Have you seen bucks in prior years with similar bonus points/palmation?
We seem to have a fair amount with split/forked tips on their G2's but I've never seen anything like this in person or on camera that I remember.

Congrats!

Hard to tell as deer are different from area to area, but on our farm he would be borderline 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 from field judging. I'd suggest having the taxidermist pull the jawbone and save it for you. You can have it aged by a department biologist that sees a lot of jawbones in your area. I like the idea of sealing a jaw bone with polyurethane and mounting it. I find shooting a mature buck with a bow and accomplishment regardless of antler size. The jaw bone is as much of a trophy for me as the mount!

Thanks,

Jack

Congrats! Awesome deer, thanks for sharing the story!!!

Update.... Taxidermist felt he was 3.5-4.5 based on jawbone wear, and he was leaning towards 4.5. I sent the incisors in and got the results a couple weeks ago, 4.5. While age is obviously important in growing big racks, sandy non-fertile ground like mine just does not put out many bucks that score well.

let's see the mount!

Update.... Taxidermist felt he was 3.5-4.5 based on jawbone wear, and he was leaning towards 4.5. I sent the incisors in and got the results a couple weeks ago, 4.5. While age is obviously important in growing big racks, sandy non-fertile ground like mine just does not put out many bucks that score well.

Tough getting a buck to 3.5 in our area, getting to 4.5 is huge. Congrats on out smarting a pretty smart buck :emoji_wink:

Tough getting a buck to 3.5 in our area, getting to 4.5 is huge. Congrats on out smarting a pretty smart buck :emoji_wink:

Not to mention in the October Lull. I thought I read somewhere that all bucks crawled into caves during the October Lull and were unkillable.

Not to mention in the October Lull. I thought I read somewhere that all bucks crawled into caves during the October Lull and were unkillable.
October cold front! Think I first heard about it from a guy whose last name is associated with a motorcycle rally :emoji_wink:. Two years in a row it has worked for me. Hopefully this year makes three, I'll be watching the weather very closely around Oct. 15th-20th.

October cold front! Think I first heard about it from a guy whose last name is associated with a motorcycle rally :emoji_wink:. Two years in a row it has worked for me. Hopefully this year makes three, I'll be watching the weather very closely around Oct. 15th-20th.
I had my best encounter 10-22 last year. Cold front it is...

Outstanding! Congrats!

That's a great looking mount! Real nice work.