Gopher Traps

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
hey guys, quick question

I know several if you have mentioned that you have trapped before. I have gophers all over the place where I hunt in my plots and in the orchard and am wondering specifically what a good brand/style of trap I should look into buying. I might also do some trapping in alfalfa fields for a local farmer that lets me goose hunt. Any info you can throw at me the better, I am all ears!

Why did I know before I clicked on that link that it was going to be a Caddyshack clip?;):D

Have always used old fashioned pan traps size 0 , dig down with garden trowel easiest digging will lead to main run make space for the trap and back fill using dug soil no light, stake fox or skunks will dig them up and steal the trap and gopher. I target only fresh mounds then you know theres an active one . total time average 5 mins with a wheeler you can cover a bunch fast .

hey guys, quick question

I know several if you have mentioned that you have trapped before. I have gophers all over the place where I hunt in my plots and in the orchard and am wondering specifically what a good brand/style of trap I should look into buying. I might also do some trapping in alfalfa fields for a local farmer that lets me goose hunt. Any info you can throw at me the better, I am all ears!

Here's a video on how to trap them. You can use any type of trap (pan, box, death clutch, etc.) but the basics are the same - dig back and find their hole and set the trap. You don't need to use any kind of bait and you also don't need to cover the hole - I never do. I prefer pan traps which catch them by the leg and then you have to hit them over the head when you pull them out. Remember to stake down your traps or the gopher may pull your trap down the hole or a neighborhood cat could run off with your gopher and trap. I noticed a couple of fresh mounds on Saturday and I set 3 pan traps. The gopher buried 2 of the traps, but he was caught in the 3rd.

I'm still unsure as to exactly what species of gopher this is, but dynamite can't kill it. He's got good moves as well.