Good Flower for Pollinators

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
For all you guys who plant wild meadows, wildflower strips / gardens - I finally located and identified a flower my mother had for years. It's called Physostegia (also known as "Obedient Plant"). Some of you may have it growing wild depending on your location in the U.S. What I can tell you is that it's a SUPER attractor of all kinds of bees and butterflies - and some hummingbirds. It's in the mint family, has stiff, square stems, and it's a perennial that spreads by both rhizomes and seeds. It pairs well with other meadow flowers and will fill in gaps in your wildflower patches. Holds up to most breezes and winds due to the square, stiff stems. Typical height is 3' - 4'. Colors are normally white, lavender, pink, and purple.

My wife and I are buying a few potted ones for our backyard garden to attract pollinators (you can grow them from seed too). My Mom had them for years and they are durable, reliable, and come up every year without fail. They grow even in clay. BUT - if planting in a home garden setting - they WILL spread. Thinning the clumps as needed keeps them from overtaking other flowers in the garden.

Check them out on the net. For wild meadows - plant & forget!! Enjoy the bees.

EDIT - I should have said they're native plants too - no foreign invaders.

Last edited: