what to request on soil test?

Persimman

5 year old buck +
Good morning. Writing here from Virginia, where we are finally getting a little rain. I usually get my soil sample boxes from the Virginia Tech Cooperative Extension. Little square boxes with 2 choices of submittal forms. https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/fees-and-forms.html has the forms and instructions. One form applies to homeowners for lawns, gardens, fruits, ornamentals. I need to tell them what I'm growing by selecting a code from their list of various lawn/grass examples, 'vegetable, flower garden, roses, acid loving shrubs,' etc. I can't just write in what I want to plant. Similarly, the other form is for real farmers, which lists many specific forage crops, field crops, hay crops, grazing crops, fruit trees, 25 different vegetables, and even forests. I need to pick just one. This is the first year I'm trying a game patch. I'm planning to plant around Labor Day with somefer mix of grain, rape, brassicas, clover, and other names I find on this forum. So, not sure which single name of a vegetable or farm crop to put in the blank, so the soil test recommendations are pertinent. Any recommendations on which plant name to select; or is it better to use a different testing service that will better tailor results to my actual mix?
I want to get a rotation going, planting 2-3 times per year using mow/throw or the buffalo system. In the spring I'll be going for wildflowers and soybeans.
Any advice appreciated.

You really only need to know what is in your soil. Any test that shows macro and micro nutrients as well as PH, % of organic mater, and CEC will do the trick. After that just do the research on the plants you intend to plant and their mineral requirements. Learn what crops "mine" which minerals and put together a rotation that suits those needs.

Use the form that 'real' farmers use. Your cost will then be zero! The lawn/garden test requires a payment. Last I knew the minimum was $10.
They ask you to name the crop so they can offer a fertilizer recommendation. I don't remember. Is there a option for food plots? With all respect to my Virginia Tech brothers and sisters their recommendation doesn't mean much. I guess it's a good guide if you don't know what else to do, but there are so many options. Bring your results back here and let's explore together. By the way, food plots are listed as a no charge situation right along with all the other ag production samples.

I too like the idea of getting the basics in addition to the micronutrients ( S-3 test). Micros aren’t used as much and applications are a lot less than N-P-k, but deficiency in one can really effect a crop. I know we aren’t farming for profit, or most of us aren’t, but knowing which micros your deficient in and addressing that can make a big difference for short money.

I too like the idea of getting the basics in addition to the micronutrients ( S-3 test). Micros aren’t used as much and applications are a lot less than N-P-k, but deficiency in one can really effect a crop. I know we aren’t farming for profit, or most of us aren’t, but knowing which micros your deficient in and addressing that can make a big difference for short money.
Balanced soils make for healthy crops that fight off pests and diseases.

Balanced soils make for healthy crops that fight off pests and diseases.

Different philosophies from different people. Some avoid fertilizers, and for food plots I would agree. It's an added expense that provides an unmeasurable response. Others promotes the use of fertilizers, based on soil tests, and I would agree! Depends on you philosophy.

Taking an occasional look at micro-nutrients can be a valuable and eye-opening experience. If you find a deficiency you probably will never need to look for it again. Around these parts sulfur and boron are the two shortest in soils. Both leach (but not like nitrogen).

Southern States is the coop around here. I haven't bought any in a while, but they sell or sold a garden fertilizer that has a bunch of micro-nutrients in it. Occasionally I'd buy a ton (bags!) and spread it just for some insurance.

You really only need to know what is in your soil. Any test that shows macro and micro nutrients as well as PH, % of organic mater, and CEC will do the trick. After that just do the research on the plants you intend to plant and their mineral requirements. Learn what crops "mine" which minerals and put together a rotation that suits those needs.
Yep. If I were starting out on a new property or pulling my first sample, I'd pay for a good and complete test and then get out the shovel and dig down a few feet. I had thought I was in low CEC soil and it was just that way all the way down. Turns out, at about 2', I hit a clay layer and it's got a good pH and lots of K.

Once you've got a baseline, you really don't need to go back and sample again if you keep track of what you're doing. A good rule of thumb (once you're at your goal pH) is to apply a pound of lime for every pound of fertilizer you put on going forward. That outta keep you from driving your pH back down. I also don't get too worked up about pH anymore given the subsoil is higher than the topsoil. If a plant can reach both horizons, maybe they can use both ranges to pull in nutrients.

I don't know, that's just what I think about.

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/452/452-124/SPES-174.pdf

What FarmerDan said, use the commercial crop form. Just indicate you want to plant a 2.5 ton/acre yield alfalfa field for the recommendations, this is on the low side for farm production, but works great for a foodplot starting point. If you can build up your macro and micro nutrients to grow acceptable alfalfa, then you can grow any foodplot very well.

Last edited:
Use the form that 'real' farmers use. Your cost will then be zero! The lawn/garden test requires a payment. Last I knew the minimum was $10.
They ask you to name the crop so they can offer a fertilizer recommendation. I don't remember. Is there a option for food plots? With all respect to my Virginia Tech brothers and sisters their recommendation doesn't mean much. I guess it's a good guide if you don't know what else to do, but there are so many options. Bring your results back here and let's explore together. By the way, food plots are listed as a no charge situation right along with all the other ag production samples.

I completely concur. Fertilizer recommendations are all over the map. I've taken soil test results to different farming experts, told them what I was planting, and asked for a fertilizer recommendation and gotten very different recommendations. And all of these recommendations were for farming, not food plotting because I only gave them a single monoculture crop and said nothing about deer, wildlife, or food plotting.

If you look at VT's commercial form carefully, they ask for your soil type (percent by field), when you previously applied lime, what crop you previously grew, and what yield you previously got with your crop. These can all play a role in the recommendation. These recommendations are all focused on maximizing yield per acre where the value of the increased yield exceeds the cost of producing it.

Yield is not the best objective for food plotting for deer. If you are feeding deer in a QDM sense you are working at scale with significant acreage and food plots are targeted toward stress periods when nature's quality food becomes unavailable. They supplement natural food sources and should not be intended to replace them. They are a small percentage of a deer's over all diet. Deer are browsers in general, not grazers. Farmers typically plant monocultures to make harvesting cops easy for mechanical equipment and when they harvest, they remove a significant amount of nutrients from the soil. They are forced to use rotation and high inputs, especially with traditional tillage. No-till farms with cover crops are a step closer but efficient yield is still the driver. With food plotting, we have a lot more flexibility. Deer don't need high yield for attraction either. In fact, I find bucks tend to use my weedier fields more frequently than my clean clover fields. Does seem to use both pretty equally. Because we don't harvest removing nutrients, we can plant mixes of complementary crops and take advantage of natural nutrient cycling as long as we focus on soil health rather than yield. We can manage for deer or make a small property more huntable at a fraction of the cost.

More important for food plotters than fertilizer amounts is getting the pH adjusted with lime and not abusing the soil with tillage. Google "Ray the soil guy" and watch some of his videos to get a handle on soil health. Start with the short infiltration video. Most are focused at no-till farmers with expensive equipment, but the underlying soil health concepts are the same. They take long read through Crimson-n-Camo's Throw n Mow thread. He takes these concepts and shows how folks with minimal equipment can apply them. In VA lime is generally the best way to adjust pH. You'll see a lot about Gypsum on this forum. It is good info but in general, it does not make our soils more friable as it does in some soils according to VT. VT will not only tell you how much lime, but how to apply it. My soils require about 4 tons per acre to initially adjust the pH to neutral, but you can't apply it all at once. They say to apply no more than 3 tons/ac in a single application and then wait 6 months to apply the rest. The good news is that lime moves slowly through my soils and it takes quite a few years before I need to apply another ton/acre of maintenance lime after the initial top dressing.

The soil tests at VT are free for commercial farming for the basic test. The do charge a few dollars for an OM test. I would probably do that. If you focus on soil health, you'll find that OM is a key component in improving nutrient cycling. It takes years to build and knowing what you have will provide a baseline so that you can tell how you are dong with your soils in 5 or 10 years.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for all the comments. I'll take my sample tomorrow and then compare results with what I'm really interested in planting.
Always lots of good help on this forum!