All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goldrush apple hardiness

Honker

5 year old buck +
Has anyone had problems with goldrush apple not being winter hardy? I planted 5 last spring on B118 rootstock and they all seemed to have winter killed. They were some of the fastest growers I had but none of them made it this year. They are in different locations too. Has anyone else seen this?

I can add this bit of knowledge. I received some Goldrush scions for grafting from your area and they seemed to almost all have been dead. I would guess the severe winter last year either killed young trees and/or caused tip die back on some Goldrush.

Hopefully the B118 give me some shoots to graft onto next spring.

I never grew any because they will not mature here.

I'm in mid-coast Maine and I have two Goldrush (one on B118 and one on MM106); both survived -20 and a lot of -10+ nights last winter.

i have 4 gold rush that made it thru our severe winter last year without a problem, the same winter killed several of my sweet cherry trees and hundreds at a nearby orchard.

I have some 4 (B.118) and 5 (MM.111) year old goldrush trees that seem to be doing OK. I may have had some tip die back but nothing noticeable on the trees really, i'll look again this weekend. I sent out some scion wood that may have had some issues, but I grafted successfully one W&T graft and one tree I top worked successfully with the same would so it must have been hit or miss.

I too received some wood that I think was dead upon arrival, also from central Wisconsin. I did notice some scions had brown centers, and maybe those were the bad ones. I guess thats always a bit of a risk after a winter as severe as the one we just had.

Here's a goldrush grafted in May. Doing great.
image20140706172246114.jpg

Last edited:
If they survived 3-4 weeks of -20 to -28 and another 3-4 weeks of 0 to -10+ I'd consider planting them here o_O

I hope I never see another winter like last year (coldest on record around here for 115 years as I recall reading), but I don't want to mess around with trees that may die come the next severe one we get. Zone 3 trees for the most part for me from now on

I have seen two colder winters, but maybe the cold spells did not last as long.

What zone 3 varieties are you looking at?

Was that the Hudson's Golden Gem Ed? I think I had some tip die-back on that this year.

yeah, HGG.

both freedoms were good and sweet 16. sweet 16 grafts have some car spots on them BTW. Fireside a few spots too.

I have a hard copy of that Mn. bulletin that I used when I first started planting apples about 25 years ago.
I just put a Nova Easy Gro in the ground this year.

Badgers list interests me, but not sure about any prairie spy any more. Red prairie spy is probably coming out.

last night I was looking at Trail, Shafer, collet, H. golden gem,Rescue. I would like to have a whitney.

Does anyone have info on CAR with the above apples or with wolf river?

I did not see any CAR on my wolf river trees today. I'm still updating my pics from todays trip but i'll be posting some pics of CAR this afternoon/evening. There seemed to be a fair amount on some of my trees, nothing to worry me or think it could be fatal, but we've had a lot of moisture this year so i think that is probably pushing more car out. The last CAR i saw on our farm was in 2011 on a Goldrush tree.

I'll check my wolf river and HGG this afternoon Sandbur for CAR. I don't think they've had any issues but I don't have a ton of cedars nearby either.
I might be interested in some scion in the spring if you have any available.. I've got quite a few water sprouts on my crab apples this year. Chestnut crab produces tons of them.

I realize that red prairie spy is not prairie spy.

I looked at my kerr crab and it has not shown any CAR, yet.

SMSmith - SLN has Prairie Spy listed in this past spring's catalog. I got one from them & it's in the ground doing well.
Sandbur - How's your Kerr crab growing for you? I see you said ^^^ you didn't see any CAR on it yet. I want to get 2 Kerr for our camp in northern Pa. for next spring & was wondering what you think of yours so far. I know you're a crab guy. We have 15 or so crabs planted now in good stand spots, but I'm looking to add a few more varieties yet.

My kerr are only on second leaf. They are doing OK.

What crabs do you have planted? I would try and get a variety of drop times for those crab apples.

My 3rd leaf B.118 Kerr look pretty good. I would say the apples are about ping pong ball sized.
IMG_3749.JPG

Nice picture, Ed. Let me know how they taste.

Ed - Good looking tree & crabapples.
Bur - We have a variety of crabs planted w/different drop times. Dolgo, Centennial, Centurion, Trailman, Chestnut, Whitney, Hyslop, Nova Scotia, All-Winter-Hangover, and a half dozen un-named red & yellow crabs we got from our Game Commission. The un-named ones get apples no more than 3/4" dia. The earliest ones ripen late Aug. & the last ones ripen late Sept./ early Oct. and some hang on the trees most of the winter. Most of the grafted ones are in the ground 2 or 3 yrs. so we're looking to document the ripening times & drop times. I'm gonna get 2 Kerr & another All-Winter-Hangover or a Violi's hanging crab for next spring.