Going after a new blind tomorrow.

I'd go 10', unless you need to look over the top of high regrowth. I went straight 10 footers, based on my assistant's recommendation and am not disappointed I did. The reason he suggested 10'ers is because u can bow shoot VERY easily out of the gun windows (the bow windows on the corners you obviously can, as well). The higher you go the further away the deer have to be to be able to bow shoot them out of the gun window, without the bottom of the window getting in the way. at 10', you can shoot a deer within about 5 yards (if closer, you can only shoot them out of the bow windows). Just a guess, but 7-8 yards is probably the closest they can be with a 15'er, and be able to bow shoot out of the gun windows, or gun shoot for that matter. That's not much of a difference, but, unless you need to see over tall regrowth, why not give yourself those extra few yards of shooting? That's my thought anyway.

I'd go 10', unless you need to look over the top of high regrowth. I went straight 10 footers, based on my assistant's recommendation and am not disappointed I did. The reason he suggested 10'ers is because u can bow shoot VERY easily out of the gun windows (the bow windows on the corners you obviously can, as well). The higher you go the further away the deer have to be to be able to bow shoot them out of the gun window, without the bottom of the window getting in the way. at 10', you can shoot a deer within about 5 yards (if closer, you can only shoot them out of the bow windows). Just a guess, but 7-8 yards is probably the closest they can be with a 15'er, and be able to bow shoot out of the gun windows, or gun shoot for that matter. That's not much of a difference, but, unless you need to see over tall regrowth, why not give yourself those extra few yards of shooting? That's my thought anyway.

Gotcha. And no measurable difference between getting busted by opening windows or scent with deer close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not for me, but I go nuts on odor control. So, that must be factored into it. I was surrounded by deer 5-6 times in them this year, including with my daughter. Not one even caught a whiff strong enough to get them to raise their heads and sniff. If I'd been sloppy about odor control, I can't say if that would have been the same or not. Obviously, the higher one is the better their odds of not getting winded generally are, but I don't see 10-15' making much of a difference either way in that. IME, 15-20' is a bigger difference maker and 20-25' or 25-30' is much bigger still.

My shadow hunter is 20'. If your worried about the angle and not being able to get the shot somethings wrong. They have to come in of go from that point so you should see them one way or the other. This fall I took one who was about 10' from my ladder to climb up the stand.
Not to derail this thread but is your ladder made from another set of elevators attached to the Shadow Hunter base ?

Not to derail this thread but is your ladder made from another set of elevators attached to the Shadow Hunter base ?
I built a porch/deck on the blind and the ladder just leans against it.

I built a porch/deck on the blind and the ladder just leans against it.

Toolin
When I looked at the Shadow Hunter installation video is that the same optional deck they used in the Visio or is this your special design ?