All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant Miscanthus

Real world miscanthus seem to be doing better in zone 4, I have some of the Illinois strain that have been growing for 10+ years and is good, but a lot of that has been winter killed or damaged. I’m optimistic for the real world variety. It’s off to a good start, I’m in year 2 with it

Does anyone have any experience with MG in zone 4b? It seems to be on the edge of its range. A few companies out there advertise that their variety grows up to Canada, but I’ve heard of some people having issues in colder climates (zones 4 and colder). I have a few growing right now as a test in an unprotected area and I don’t plan on pampering them. While they sound appealing and my test strip looks good for its first year of growth, it’s concerning to drop a big chunk of money into something that might get frozen out before it’s established.

Im 4b in NW Wisconsin and have a couple test areas with it it growing... I will snap a pic of it today if I get out to the farm. No issues with it growing here... might not have the growth that the southern people have but in density plantings it will make a nice perennial screen. Maybe takes a year longer to get that nice height established. But it will establish and start spreading.

Dunn County Wi, usda 4b, on heavy clay; GM in its 4th year

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 34
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 34