Genesis drills

I can't believe he even tried! My GP would be worthless too. You have to have a drill designed for it, including a native seed box with agitator. My biggest concern for the Genesis is, for the money, it doesn't even have a small seed box. Sure, people say, "I mixed all this seed and it came up great." Some seeds in a mix need to be deep, other shallow, that's why I don't care for the Genesis, no way to do it correctly in one pass. I do wish the GP had the calibration tray deal that Genesis does, that is a great piece of engineering, but I wouldn't trade my small seed box for it.

Does a GP plant the small seed box at a different depth?

Does a GP plant the small seed box at a different depth?

I say yes. It drops seed in the same trench, but not at the bottom of it between the double-disc openers. Some can still go deep. You can unhook the tubes from the unit at the bottom and it kinda sprinkles seed more on top. It definitely meters small seed better too.

I did a fir search but didn’t come up with a ton. Does anyone have current experience with the Genesis 5 or 8? Curious to know what you’re hearing/seeing with these drills. I know they’re “newer” but hoping someone has one or has been around one to give feedback. They only have a single box so I’m curious how it does with planting multiple species through one box. The drills certainly seem heavy enough to traditionally no-till without any real issues but at the price they’re getting dangerously close to a used Land Pride/Great Plains of comparable size (if you can find one). Anyone have any experience with them yet?

My father picked one up this spring and we used it for the first time yesterday. Super easy to calibrate. We planted clover. Other than having some issues with the acre counter, everything worked fantastic! Definitely I have a heavy piece of equipment— which is what you want with a notill. We pull it with a front wheel assist Deutz tractor. Maybe 75 hp. At this point, the drill is living up to expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with Land Pride mini drills? I've looked pretty hard at the 3P500 which on paper looks pretty comparable to the Genesis 5. It's a little lighter than the Genesis drill. the 7 row 5' drill is 1170 empty weight which makes is feasible for my JD 4300 (35hp tractor). I'm getting a quote from a local Kubota dealer of under 10k which is substantially more palatable than the Genesis.

I can find very little info on this drill and zero used ones on the market which makes me think it's a brand new item???

Anyone have experience with Land Pride mini drills? I've looked pretty hard at the 3P500 which on paper looks pretty comparable to the Genesis 5. It's a little lighter than the Genesis drill. the 7 row 5' drill is 1170 empty weight which makes is feasible for my JD 4300 (35hp tractor). I'm getting a quote from a local Kubota dealer of under 10k which is substantially more palatable than the Genesis.

I can find very little info on this drill and zero used ones on the market which makes me think it's a brand new item???

It's a well built drill, but not no-till. I'm sure you could use it in a no-till manner in the right soil conditions.

It's a well built drill, but not no-till. I'm sure you could use it in a no-till manner in the right soil conditions.

What is structurally different to make it not a true no-till?

My soil is pretty easy to plant in. With just a little moisture I could put a seed 3" deep with my old JD two row corn planter. I've actually used it in a no-till manner before shortly after a rain. My issue with it is that I can't get the rows any closer than 22". I need a high density crop to overcome the deer density and I need to be able to plant more efficiently or it just won't happen.

If I can get the land pride drill for around 8k-9k it's hard to justify paying nearly double that for a Genesis drill even if it's a true no till.

Also a consideration is the Genesis 3 which is classified as a "no till" drill. I don't necessarily like the substantially narrower working width (meaning more passes to plant and more compacting soil / crop - especially in late summer if I do the Buffalo system)

If you were going to plant 15-20 acres of soybeans in spring and plant Buffalo blend on top in the late summer... already had a JD 4300 (35hp) tractor... what drill would be the best choice? Both the 3P500 and the Genesis 3 are around the same weight that my tractor can handle. Even the light weight Genesis 5 is likely too much for my 4300, and I don't really like the price tag either.

Last edited:
I think the only difference is the no-till coulters on the front, ahead of the double disc openers, on no-till models. The coulters clear a path for the double disc openers in heavy residue and trash, mainly.

I know I wouldn't be doing 15-20 acres of beans with a 3' drill. I cover between 1.5 - 2 acres per hour with my 6'. I think others, like Bill, crank up the speed more than I do. I think I'd stick with Great Plains, which is the same as Land Pride.

What is structurally different to make it not a true no-till?

My soil is pretty easy to plant in. With just a little moisture I could put a seed 3" deep with my old JD two row corn planter. I've actually used it in a no-till manner before shortly after a rain. My issue with it is that I can't get the rows any closer than 22". I need a high density crop to overcome the deer density and I need to be able to plant more efficiently or it just won't happen.

If I can get the land pride drill for around 8k-9k it's hard to justify paying nearly double that for a Genesis drill even if it's a true no till.

Also a consideration is the Genesis 3 which is classified as a "no till" drill. I don't necessarily like the substantially narrower working width (meaning more passes to plant and more compacting soil / crop - especially in late summer if I do the Buffalo system)

If you were going to plant 15-20 acres of soybeans in spring and plant Buffalo blend on top in the late summer... already had a JD 4300 (35hp) tractor... what drill would be the best choice? Both the 3P500 and the Genesis 3 are around the same weight that my tractor can handle. Even the light weight Genesis 5 is likely too much for my 4300, and I don't really like the price tag either.

We were considering a 3pt model and decided to go with pull behind. I was able to find good used 1006nt for similar price to new genesis 8. We opted for tow behind for easy connection to tractor and wider drill for faster planting. Not as easy to turn around in tight places as 3pt, but wider planting makes up for it in our case.

For your tractor, I suggest considering used 606nt. Compared to 3P500, it will be wider and will have front no till coulters. If you’re going to be planting 15-20 acres two times a year, you will appreciate wider planting width.

When paying $10k+ for a piece of planting equipment, I couldn’t stomach buying a genesis I feel isn’t designed to work as well as Great Plains/land pride. In other words, I wanted a drill that separately meters large and small seeds and plants them at different depths in a single pass. We plant a mix similar to broadside but we buy the components separately and put them in the appropriate seed box. The Great Plains/land pride small seed tube can be adjusted to drop seed behind the openers, or farther back just in front of the press wheel where presumably the furrow has already somewhat closed.

We were considering a 3pt model and decided to go with pull behind. I was able to find good used 1006nt for similar price to new genesis 8. We opted for tow behind for easy connection to tractor and wider drill for faster planting. Not as easy to turn around in tight places as 3pt, but wider planting makes up for it in our case.

For your tractor, I suggest considering used 606nt. Compared to 3P500, it will be wider and will have front no till coulters. If you’re going to be planting 15-20 acres two times a year, you will appreciate wider planting width.

When paying $10k+ for a piece of planting equipment, I couldn’t stomach buying a genesis I feel isn’t designed to work as well as Great Plains/land pride. In other words, I wanted a drill that separately meters large and small seeds and plants them at different depths in a single pass. We plant a mix similar to broadside but we buy the components separately and put them in the appropriate seed box. The Great Plains/land pride small seed tube can be adjusted to drop seed behind the openers, or farther back just in front of the press wheel where presumably the furrow has already somewhat closed.

I agree, other than I don't think a JD 4300 will handle a 606. It's only about 32HP, rated at 28HP at PTO, weighs 3000lb. My 3p606NT throws my 5400 w/ loader at 6000lb + around pretty well. The 4300 could never lift a 3pt 6', and not sure it could pull a pull type, but could. I think GP recommends at least 40HP for the 6' pull type. I never studied the recommendations for the 5'.

I agree, other than I don't think a JD 4300 will handle a 606. It's only about 32HP, rated at 28HP at PTO, weighs 3000lb. My 3p606NT throws my 5400 w/ loader at 6000lb + around pretty well. The 4300 could never lift a 3pt 6', and not sure it could pull a pull type, but could. I think GP recommends at least 40HP for the 6' pull type. I never studied the recommendations for the 5'.

Thanks, I was meaning the tow behind 606nt. Whether tractor could handle it is certainly something to consider. As a data point for consideration, our M7040 (engine 67hp, pto 62hp) handles the tow behind 1006nt well (gp/lp recommends 75+hp).

Well I hope i made the right choice. I know it’s not a genesis but I feel it will do what I need. Brand new to the no till game so there’s not a lot of info on it. Tar River SAYA-507. 1400 empty weight.
My JD 4300 picks it up no problem and full of seed plus maybe a little weight on the racks would probably even make it better.
I’ll report back with results as I plan to get some beans in the ground over the next couple weeks.

functionally is does everything the genesis does except it does have two separate seed boxes. From what I have read the seed chart / calibration is probably not all the accurate so I’ll have to play with that some. Nbd.

I know it’s not a genesis but at literally almost 1/3 the price I wouldn’t expect it to be.

Attachments

• 854288EE-F95C-47A1-8BB3-98E0289A5C24.jpeg
    854288EE-F95C-47A1-8BB3-98E0289A5C24.jpeg
    799.3 KB · Views: 71
Well I hope i made the right choice. I know it’s not a genesis but I feel it will do what I need. Brand new to the no till game so there’s not a lot of info on it. Tar River SAYA-507. 1400 empty weight.
My JD 4300 picks it up no problem and full of seed plus maybe a little weight on the racks would probably even make it better.
I’ll report back with results as I plan to get some beans in the ground over the next couple weeks.

functionally is does everything the genesis does except it does have two separate seed boxes. From what I have read the seed chart / calibration is probably not all the accurate so I’ll have to play with that some. Nbd.

I know it’s not a genesis but at literally almost 1/3 the price I wouldn’t expect it to be.
Let us know how you like it.

I looked at the Tar River drill at our local dealer the other day, looked pretty good. I bought Tar River tiller and it is a beast.

Good luck with the drill. Looks like a cage roller on rear end? When you’re drilling the buffalo blend into the beans, you might not like rolling all of the beans across the full swath. I wonder if you could replace the cage roller with a shaft having some wheels on it. Each wheel mounted to be in line with an opener in front of it. Gaps between wheels let some beans make it through without being rolled. Could take it a step further and weld some angle iron on the bars of the cage roller to make it a crimper. When planting the beans in the spring, change out the shaft of wheels with the cage roller/crimper. Crimp down the buffalo blend right behind planting the beans. Or crimp later with the top link lengthened to put more pressure on the crimper.

I think the drill looks pretty good, except as mentioned above. The closing system will be the most problematic. Individual wheels that floated, like GP is probably optimal. For the money, it's better than many. Just looking at a photo, I'd take it over a Kasco I messed with.

This is an old post but I figured I would reply anyway. I have been using a Genesis 8 for three seasons now and I can say it is working very well. Had a few minor repairs that I had to do because of operator error, but for the most part it works well. I planed a fall blend and the blend stays mixed and comes out nice and even. There is one thing that I was not happy with. It was not set up for a quick hitch compatibility. So I modified mine to make it work with my quick hitch and now it connects in a few seconds. Good well built machine.

Do you happen to have any pics of the mod to make the quick hitch work? I am about to pull the trigger on a Genesis 8 light and was also disappointed in no quick hitch compatibility. I have a 5085M With FEL so i think even with the extra setback with a quick hitch my tractor should handle the 8 light with no issues

Do you happen to have any pics of the mod to make the quick hitch work? I am about to pull the trigger on a Genesis 8 light and was also disappointed in no quick hitch compatibility. I have a 5085M With FEL so i think even with the extra setback with a quick hitch my tractor should handle the 8 light with no issues
Here are the mod pictures. Basically some thick rectangular tubing cut in half and a hole drilled thru for the pins. Then weld to the front with some plates added as support. I had a local weld shop do it for me.IMG_0834.jpgIMG_0835.jpgIMG_0939.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

I'm gearing up to use my Tar River SAYA 507 drill in a few days to start planting my beans. Just finished getting everything sprayed in glyphosate. I've already loaded up the drill with some seed and taken it for a few test runs. Since the title of this thread is Genesis drills I think it would be prudent to start a new thread titled Tar River No Till drill to start putting together my experiences. So far I love the drill. I can definitely tell there are few things the Genesis no doubt is better at but considering the cost difference I am extremely happy with my decision so far.