Genesis drills

I'm gearing up to use my Tar River SAYA 507 drill in a few days to start planting my beans. Just finished getting everything sprayed in glyphosate. I've already loaded up the drill with some seed and taken it for a few test runs. Since the title of this thread is Genesis drills I think it would be prudent to start a new thread titled Tar River No Till drill to start putting together my experiences. So far I love the drill. I can definitely tell there are few things the Genesis no doubt is better at but considering the cost difference I am extremely happy with my decision so far.
I would imagine there would be a lot of interest if you created a thread to discuss your Tar River drill...always a lot of interest in a value priced drill.

If you get a chance, video would be nice, I am very interested.

The no small seed box on the Genesis would be of zero concern to me. Small seeds broadcast so easy. I like the one seed box for mixes. I watched a few calibration videos and it showed to calibrate to your largest seed for mixes. You could easily compromise on the depth. Probably some trial and error with learning the drill. That said I don’t own a NT drill but I have plenty of other land pride stuff spreader, rotary cutter, box blade. Compared to other brands I have used the same style equipment and the only thing I found special was the price. I have no sane reason to buy a drill but have been looking at them again lately. If I do it more than likely will be a genesis 5.

The no small seed box on the Genesis would be of zero concern to me. Small seeds broadcast so easy. I like the one seed box for mixes. I watched a few calibration videos and it showed to calibrate to your largest seed for mixes. You could easily compromise on the depth. Probably some trial and error with learning the drill. That said I don’t own a NT drill but I have plenty of other land pride stuff spreader, rotary cutter, box blade. Compared to other brands I have used the same style equipment and the only thing I found special was the price. I have no sane reason to buy a drill but have been looking at them again lately. If I do it more than likely will be a genesis 5.

They may broadcast easy, but when you're drilling into heavy thatch or a mat or rye, broadcasting does little good.

They may broadcast easy, but when you're drilling into heavy thatch or a mat or rye, broadcasting does little good.
I must be doing something wrong because I simply find that not to be true. I find the more thatch the better for broadcasting. Sure if I windrow 6” of thatch that can be an issue but for the past 3 years I have broadcast into 6’ WR which has generated a bunch of thatch and it has done a lot of good.

I must be doing something wrong because I simply find that not to be true. I find the more thatch the better for broadcasting. Sure if I windrow 6” of thatch that can be an issue but for the past 3 years I have broadcast into 6’ WR which has generated a bunch of thatch and it has done a lot of good.

Broadcasting into standing rye also works well for me

Swat mentioned broadcasting into a mat of rye which probably doesn't work as well

bill

Broadcasting into standing rye also works well for me

Swat mentioned broadcasting into a mat of rye which probably doesn't work as well

bill
When you broadcast into last years WR I would hardly call it standing. It is more like bent halfway over with weeds growing underneath.

85A11A52-257F-4B0E-A08A-E6EFBB34F3AD.jpeg092C2534-85EF-40B3-9995-B54841D7E746.jpeg
I would say for me it looks a lot more like this.

^^^^^^
Looks good!

Also lots of "edge" in that plot

nice work

bill

^^^^^^
Looks good!

Also lots of "edge" in that plot

nice work

bill
Wish I had created a lot more edge when I started. Needed to find this place about 2 years sooner.