All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage Ideas

Gotcha. The 60x100 shop is 20 years old and has all manner of critters get in and out of it. I store all my equipment in there as did the previous owner. I’m not worried about keeping stuff out of it. It keeps my tractor and equipment dry and out of the elements, which is really all it’ll be used for once I build the new place. When I was growing up we kept all our tractors and equipment outside, either covered by a tarp, or under an overhang on the shop. Every now and again a mouse will decide to create a nest in a non ideal location...but for us that’s just become part of doing business in the country.

The new building for living, the old one for equipment storage. I’ll have a good chunk of money into the new building so I’m planning to only need to cry once with it. It’s budgeted like I’m building a second house so not much additional room left for another large shop.

I think your spot on with your approach. Build the cabin up to spec the same way you would build a new house, you wont regret it. A 20 year old shop is more than adequate for food plotting toys considering billions of dollars of farm equipment sit in old shops around this country every day. Just being inside and out of the sun is huge for equipment.

I think your spot on with your approach. Build the cabin up to spec the same way you would build a new house, you wont regret it. A 20 year old shop is more than adequate for food plotting toys considering billions of dollars of farm equipment sit in old shops around this country every day. Just being inside and out of the sun is huge for equipment.
Exactly my thoughts. Would love to have huge conditioned shop but for what I’ve got that would be way overkill. I’m just glad to have most of my equipment under cover.

Yeah, it always works till it doesn't ... :emoji_wink:

Judging by these suggestions, a lot of guys are very good at spending other people's money. Lol

An hour away from home is not far enough for me to spend that kind of dough. Lots of people drive that far for work every day.

I'd build a 12 x 16 minibarn, throw a pair of bunk beds on each side, and heat it with a kerosene heater. Buy a porta potty and have it pumped once a month. Lots of money saved to spend on fun stuff.

Judging by these suggestions, a lot of guys are very good at spending other people's money. Lol

An hour away from home is not far enough for me to spend that kind of dough. Lots of people drive that far for work every day.

I'd build a 12 x 16 minibarn, throw a pair of bunk beds on each side, and heat it with a kerosene heater. Buy a porta potty and have it pumped once a month. Lots of money saved to spend on fun stuff.

That’s a fair statement. Everything starts with budget. That being said said, a good investment in your land should pay you back at nearly 100% (or more) when it comes time to sell. I would not build a building and that wasn’t going to bring me the right return if/when I sell.

Life's short, if you can afford something the whole family will use/enjoy, I'd go for it. I have a house on one of my farms, with a small dirt floor barn. I built on a 2.5 car garage to the house to help fix water getting in the basement. I plan on gutting / remodeling the house in 4 years when I retire, with plans of spending a lot more time there.

I just put a walk-in cooler in my shop on a slab. It's really nice to be able to kill a deer in early, or any season, and not worry about having quality meat. I'd also have an electric hoist to gut/weigh your kill. I wouldn't do it any other way. Make sure you have water/drain close. I'd also wire power to the outside for adding cameras for security. Good luck with your build.