All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found some black walnuts!

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
How should I prepare these for cold stratification?

I google it . They schuck up easy using your boot.

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 07D9B62F-6EC0-4E08-A6E7-1F73C4EADEFA.jpeg
    07D9B62F-6EC0-4E08-A6E7-1F73C4EADEFA.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Probably just stick them in the fridge in a bag with a damp towel like acorns.

How many do want I have a lot of walnuts around me. I usually pick up a partial pickup load out of my yard every year.

About 10.

I got about 25 here in carnation.

The whole freaking street going to the barn was lined with them. I wish I was here when they all we’re dropping.

I guess they are Great for Christmas type dishes.

They do have a strong unique flavor but as the name implies they have walls in the nut making getting the nut meats out very difficult. I don’t fool with them much myself do to the time involved trying to get anything edible. I did finally plant a few grafted paper shell pecan trees this past spring, really wish I’d of planted them years ago.

Bury them under a couple inches of dirt now and you will be good to go. That's what the squirrels do as soon as they start dropping. That's how random walnut seedlings end up growing in my yard even though the closest walnut tree is hundreds of yards away.

Apparently, the best place to grow walnuts is in the mulch of my blueberries. Stupid red squirrels get a bunch started every year. 🙄