Black Walnut Wildlife Value

My neighbor last year had his walnut cut. He ended up with $60,000. It looked like about a $1000 a tree. He said one brought $10,000. All of the trees were being shipped to China. He had some beautiful red oak that the buyer didn't even want. He gave him $75 a stick.
Shame to hear that’s a lot of immature trees harvested to pull the average that low.

Selling lines for a logger or Forrester:

1. Not many mills still accepting _______ trees.
2. If the saw mill closes there will be no value to those trees.
3. If a storm knocks those trees over.....it's going to cost you to get it back in shape.
4. Lots of disease wiping out those_________trees. Then your left with nothing.
5. Price for those tress may drop soon.

Working with ~45 acres of nodaway silt creek bottom to release the good formed walnuts while also killing a lot of undesirables for more walnut/oak production.

It should produce some great growth on trees from what I’ve seen. This is more exciting now than shooting a big deer for me…hunting for good walnuts to release on the farm.

My son should have a bountiful harvest some day. We have more to release this year as well.

eb04ae08c3b84ce0aa1a18b3a700adda.jpg

This walnut was released from between two big honey locusts 10-15 years ago.

9a098ee20b9d46e80819e2da027f6f2b.jpg

Some other walnuts released.

c9f4614717cc4d4a3be92b6a1b50780a.jpg

965eeb992aa06a37ef0e337866e5d26e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling lines for a logger or Forrester:

1. Not many mills still accepting _______ trees.
2. If the saw mill closes there will be no value to those trees.
3. If a storm knocks those trees over.....it's going to cost you to get it back in shape.
4. Lots of disease wiping out those_________trees. Then your left with nothing.
5. Price for those tress may drop soon.
Or just plain ole low-balling on how many cord they will get. Friend of mine got screwed pretty good a few years ago on selling their wood/trees. I think they are still throwing money at lawyers trying to get what they think they have coming. By now they have probably given the lawyers more than they made on the timber to begin with. I didn't say he was a smart friend.

Shame to hear that’s a lot of immature trees harvested to pull the average that low.
They were definitely not immature trees. I was guessing on how many they cut. I just saw them next to the road when I drove by. He probably just went with the first "honest "logger he talked to. My friend had a buyer stop by him too, offered him 30k for his. He turned them down.

My son should have a bountiful harvest some day. We have more to release this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love that attitude. The vast majority of the enjoyment in my woods comes from thinking about what I am leaving behind for those that will come after me. Kudos to you.

Absolutely love that attitude. The vast majority of the enjoyment in my woods comes from thinking about what I am leaving behind for those that will come after me. Kudos to you.
I agree… we are setting up the trusts for the boys right now. My wife and I take great pride in leaving parcels of land and a lake home to the kids!

They all work and have good jobs ! They do not take it for granted !

I'll probably end up planting about 3 acres of black walnut and showing my niece and nephew how to make money with it. Ultimately it will probably be their kids who reap the most reward from it, but if they're raised right, I'm sure they'll be happy to have it.

$1000 for the landowner per tree is a solid average in my area of Minnesota based on talking to several people who recently logged walnuts.
Shame there are so many unscrupulous loggers around the country isn’t it. Some of that is also greedy short sighted property owners fault for allowing smaller trees to be taken to bump their check from logging thinking I’ll never live long enough to do this again or I’m selling it anyway…. Lots of “good” reasons for taking immature trees in peoples minds.

No affiliation with this fellow but this is solid advice on black walnut harvesting.View attachment 62115
And I’m assuming straight? I have some that are grown up over a creek that are pretty crooked. I’m guessing they are worthless

Worthless no maybe not veneer but but not worthless limbs coming out the butt log and crooked will really count against your value as with any sawlogs but walnut has its own lumber grading system somewahat different than any other hardwood it’s in a class of its own with looser grading as compared to other hardwoods a large crooked oak maybe worth very little to the point it isn’t hardly worth cutting down where as that same tree in walnut could still command a good price because walnut lumber can literally be shorter and still make high lumber grades. I’d have to dig out my notes and books from a lumber grading course I took about 20 years ago to give exact differences. I’m sure it can be googled for those that are very interested.

Looks like as short as 3’ on walnut can still make FAS IMG_0953.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 17
Shame there are so many unscrupulous loggers around the country isn’t it. Some of that is also greedy short sighted property owners fault for allowing smaller trees to be taken to bump their check from logging thinking I’ll never live long enough to do this again or I’m selling it anyway…. Lots of “good” reasons for taking immature trees in peoples minds.
How much were you paid the last time you logged walnuts and how many trees did you cut?

What were the sizes of the trees you cut? I’m curious to find out how there is such a price difference. My area is southeast Minnesota.

I’m curious to find out how there is such a price difference. My area is southeast Minnesota.
I've watched a few sawmill videos and I get the difference between say a 22" and 28" tree with how much wood they get off each.

I've watched a few sawmill videos and I get the difference between say a 22" and 28" tree with how much wood they get off each.

According to my back-of-napkin figuring, a 28 inch diameter tree will give you 60% more wood than a 22 in diameter tree.

Yeah, similarly people are shocked how much more water drains thru an 18" pipe vs a 15". Massive amounts of veneer come off those last few inches.

Massive amounts of veneer come off those last few inches.

That's a good point. Some of the most beautiful grain I have seen from a black walnut came from the stump.

That's a good point. Some of the most beautiful grain I have seen from a black walnut came from the stump.
That's true, and aren't the stumps usually left in the woodlot to rot?