All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food Plots

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
We went out to check on our food plots today. Here's a few PICS. The brassicas were planted 4 weeks ago and the winter rye and oats are only 2 weeks old. We've had some good rain and I have fertilized the brassicas with 34-0-0 at planting and added 100 lbs of 19-19-19 a week ago. The triple 19 hasn't had a real good rain on it so with an inch of rain the brassicas should explode. We still have about a month and a half until our first frost so with some good rain, we should have some quality crops.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 71
Looks great did you broadcast the brassicas? If the ground is bare from herbicide burndown or disc work or Tiller work, I have just about concluded you are better off broadcasting brassicas. I have no tilled all of mine the last two years and the depth of the seed and press wheel pressure really makes sprouting time vary a ton. I have some rows planted on August 16 that have only sprouted the last 10 days and some that sprouted in 4-5 days after seeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything was burned down with glyphosate several months ago, disced several times to loosen the soil, cultipacked the ground prior to planting, hand seeded and re cultipacked. I've planted brassicas for years and I get better germination and coverage by discing. I personally am not a fan of top seeding brassicas. IMO they seem to germinate, put down a better root system and grow better when the soil has been cut up some prior to planting.