Food plots are worthless for hunting

Our place is in Ottertail county and I have seen exactly the opposite results of you. You can bad mouth food plots all you want, but I bet your deer really wished you had left them some standing corn this last winter!

If you plant a food plot then pressure the crap out of it during the season of course the deer are going to steer clear of it. Same thing would happen if you made a water hole, then sat in the stand right over it every single night.

Food plots are the best thing to happen to our farm and our deer herd ever.

What exactly is it about this whole thread that you are not understanding? How can I make it more simple so you will be able to grasp what I am talking about? I'm talking about food plots ON MY LAND, not yours or anyone else's. I'm happy its working for you. I linked the video cause it is EXACTLY my experience, not yours or anyone else's. And for the tenth time...... WE NEVER HUNTED ON A PLOT. EVER!!!!

You can grow corn in OTC. Congrats. Come and try that over by us. If you had a handful of plants that made it to black layer you could consider yourself lucky. Our bears would humble your corn plot in one season. I don't want the deer at our place in the winter anyways. There is not enough thermal cover yet so I am glad when they leave for the cedar swamps a few miles away.

I went up north on Sunday to check bud caps on the spruce trees I planted last spring. Had one camera that I left in the woods. And wouldnt you know it..... the camera caught the nice 8 pt buck that I couldnt get a shot at a few days before the end of the season. And guess what????? He is moving around middle day just like the last time I saw him.
WE NEVER HAD DAYTIME MOVEMENT WITH PLOTS OF MATURE BUCKS.

MFDC0010.JPGMFDC0019.JPG

Just plant fall plots and be done with it. I didn't watch the video but have seen it and other in the past. That is the reason I dont plant hardly any perennial plots. Does wont get into a fenced bean plot either and corn is almost worthless until october and later.

This is what a fall plot looked like for us. Full of does, fawns, and the occasional 4 pt buck. I'm not after 20 deer a sit anymore, just one good one.

MFDC0361.JPG

I couldn't disagree more with the OP but that being said I have heard scenarios where food plots hurt a person property because is moved the deer heards movements to night time on their property but day time on the neighbors properties. For 120 acres we have 2 food plots and I have noticed one gets solely used at night. I am not converting that plot into a pasture for horses and I'm hoping that now those deer will go to the other plot. I was getting day time buck sightings in the other plot into October but then they disappeared. For hunting doe, honestly food plots are the BEEs Knees! For hunting a mature buck I don't think id ever sit on the plot itself but rather id be up in the woods trying to cut him off on his way to the plot because by the time he got to the plot it would be dark (unless it was the rut and then all bets are off anyway).

The further along I get in this addiction, the less I believe in absolutes.......

bill
There is a forty acre alfalfa field bordering our property. Over the last thirty years we have seen many hundreds of deer in that field during daytime but not a single buck have we seen during the daytime there;Still I do not say they never feed there during the day because never nor always for that matter applies to anything deer do that we have witnessed.

What exactly is it about this whole thread that you are not understanding? How can I make it more simple so you will be able to grasp what I am talking about? I'm talking about food plots ON MY LAND, not yours or anyone else's. I'm happy its working for you. I linked the video cause it is EXACTLY my experience, not yours or anyone else's. And for the tenth time...... WE NEVER HUNTED ON A PLOT. EVER!!!!

You can grow corn in OTC. Congrats. Come and try that over by us. If you had a handful of plants that made it to black layer you could consider yourself lucky. Our bears would humble your corn plot in one season. I don't want the deer at our place in the winter anyways. There is not enough thermal cover yet so I am glad when they leave for the cedar swamps a few miles away.

I went up north on Sunday to check bud caps on the spruce trees I planted last spring. Had one camera that I left in the woods. And wouldnt you know it..... the camera caught the nice 8 pt buck that I couldnt get a shot at a few days before the end of the season. And guess what????? He is moving around middle day just like the last time I saw him.

View attachment 23507View attachment 23508
relax dude. You are in a food plot forum stating how you hate food plots so of course many are going to disagree with you. To state the food plot (alone) made things worse is likely wrong and ignorance in hunting. Food plots make up like 5-10% of a deer's diet, that's it...so while many think it is the end all be all they are wrong. It all depends on how the property is laid out and what is planted in the food plot. To also think you will get mature bucks going there in day light is also a wrong assumption and wildly depends on many factors. From what it sounds like is you planted a monoculture and the deer, while liking it some...did not like it as much as you hoped OR they did like it but it was their final destination so they never showed up during the day. So Guess what....when you let it go to weeds, many forms of vegetation grew up and some we may call weeds, deer actually really like to eat! Also, by letting it go to natural vegetation the deer are now forced to find other feedings areas which means when they go through that plot...it is likely no longer their "destination" but rather a stop along the way. A destination plot will have bucks going there right before dark...if not after dark. A staging food plot, is one designed to catch a buck along the way to his destination area. Personally, in every situation I have encountered with the food plots ive delt with on my land, my in-laws lands, and our friends all were a benefit to the deer herd and hunting, assuming you have done them right. For example, if you are in AG country, then a food plot (with the typical food plot type items) will likely be meaningless as deer have plenty of food options, so growing a food plot which has just some little bits of browse but is very heavy in cover will likely be better than growing a food plot in clover or brassica or corn for example. If you live in an area where there is light AG country around but not a ton, then you can whittle down a bit on the cover and plant more food plotty type stuff. If you live in an area with no AG around, then whatever the deer love to eat can be planted and you can bet your bottom dollar the bucks will be there and likely during the day assuming you do not pressure the area. This all can mean very little if you are competing with a great acorn crop and this can vary from year to year. The first year we put our plots in, the acorn crop was lowsey and we had an amazing year for food plot hunting. The year after, we had a GREAT acorn crop and we rarely saw bucks in the plots during daylight hours. They were up in the woods eating the sh*t out of the acorns. Food plots are just a tool in the trade and need to be used appropriately.

There used to be another guy on here that hunted by Ottertail. He had good land and would do all the food plots and stuff too, but yet he would never shoot a deer either. If he was still around I would tell him to quit food plot and screwing around in the woods like I did and he would probably shoot a deer right away. I should have this year and blew it. Some properties really suffer from these plots I think.

You specifically mentioned a guy by Ottertail, that is what I was replying to. I personally could careless if you plant another food plot or even deer hunt ever again. But I am not going to sit back while you try to steer others away from a good thing. It didn't work for you for whatever reason, get over it!

I think the guy you are referring to is Biglakebass, he is in Otter Tail County. He plants food plots, but does not feel it helps much. His problem is neighbors shooting everything. His property is very nice I guess?

Our place is in Ottertail county and I have seen exactly the opposite results of you. You can bad mouth food plots all you want, but I bet your deer really wished you had left them some standing corn this last winter!

If you plant a food plot then pressure the crap out of it during the season of course the deer are going to steer clear of it. Same thing would happen if you made a water hole, then sat in the stand right over it every single night.

Food plots are the best thing to happen to our farm and our deer herd ever.

Lord have mercy... a little less coffee dude.

In his defense, the title of your thread makes a blanket statement that “Food plots are worthless for hunting” it did not say exclusively on your place.

There is also no reason to get worked up when your post spurs a broader discussion, even when some of the opinions contradict yours.

There are definitely properties and instances where plots are a detriment, but there are also many times where they are exactly what the Dr ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way to make it clear to everyone would have been to title the thread MY FOOD PLOTS ARE WORTHLESS.

The best way to make it clear to everyone would have been to title the thread MY FOOD PLOTS ARE WORTHLESS.

Yes, because MY food plots are swarmed by bucks in daylight hours, but apparently others are not. :).

I dont think we are taking offense or disagreeing with the original poster - more-so taking exception to the Sturgis video.

There used to be another guy on here that hunted by Ottertail. He had good land and would do all the food plots and stuff too, but yet he would never shoot a deer either. If he was still around I would tell him to quit food plot and screwing around in the woods like I did and he would probably shoot a deer right away. I should have this year and blew it. Some properties really suffer from these plots I think.

HAAA.
You are correct sir. Last year I gave up. Told a farmer to take my main field. I mowed a little clover I have left. No habitat work. Left it alone. Shot my first Fing buck in 14 years....
Guess what.... I am done food plotting. :)

All I accomplished was pushing deer off on neighbors properties for many years while Fing around in the woods all summer. Neighbors whack and stack em as they come to eat our food. Lets fish more is my new motto!

I have learned a couple things.......
Deer hunting has a couple of very key things to succeed in your goals...
A) own enough land to hold and retain deer(meaning to have acres to set aside as sanctuarys mainly)
B) own land in a great "neighborhood"; also known as neighbors that have like minded goals.

We have neither. So adjust the goals to something attainable for what you have available.
I have a friend with land 5 miles east of us, with great neighbors all with the same goals. They have deer galore, and shoot some absolute great deer every year.... not far at all from bwoods and freeborn

Last edited:
A) own enough land to hold and retain deer(meaning to have acres to set aside as sanctuarys mainly)
B) own land in a great "neighborhood"; also known as neighbors that have like minded goals.

Wisdom right there. At least for setting reasonable goals. My favorite, from a likability standpoint, neighbor sold out over 700 acres last year. He was a great guy but sold hunts by the day. Lots of guys running through the place killing all kinds of deer. My new neighbor is a self described A-hole when it comes to nonsense on his land. I friggin love him! Was worried who would buy the place and ended up hitting the lottery. He’s a serious hunter.. that same ground a year ago would have seen 20 plus deer hit the dirt. Last year 1 big old mature buck..

HAAA.
You are correct sir. Last year I gave up. Told a farmer to take my main field. I mowed a little clover I have left. No habitat work. Left it alone. Shot my first Fing buck in 14 years....
Guess what.... I am done food plotting. :)

All I accomplished was pushing deer off on neighbors properties for many years while Fing around in the woods all summer. Neighbors whack and stack em as they come to eat our food. Lets fish more is my new motto!

You can't quit!! You are the one that got me addicted to this in the first place...

I don't think my plots have helped my hunting either. However, I plot for winter nutrition PERIOD no other reason at all. If I can get some of the bucks in my area in better shape come spring they WILL have better racks the following season. Is it worth the time and money? I enjoy doing it but not sure its worth it from a hunting/harvest perspective.

Just shows how every situation is different.

Sure glad I had 6 acres of corn this year.
Not a kernal left.
Dead deer all over the county, havent found one yet on my ground. Camera surverys show over 30 used the property all winter, they look good not great coming out of winter. I will take that. Fun fact, today is the first day it will be over 60 degrees since Oct 21. Long 6 months of winter.

Fall rye an clover is just starting to green. Tracks all over. They are starving for those first fresh greens of the year and I am happy to supply them with it.

With 4 quarters of corn/beans surrounding me they get all the summer browse they need, no chance to create a "doe factory".
I use the summer to heal an build the soil.

I think the “doe factory” idea can be avoided to some extent by not planting summer plots. Let the does drop fawns somewhere else on prime summer food sources, and only provide fall plots.

I’m down south, so my biggest stress period is by far summer. We often times go dry for 40-60 days down here, and it usually coincides with temps at or above 100°. Aside from attracting deer, my main goal is to plug the seasonal gaps in nutrition. Nothing does that better than high protein summer crops.

I’m testing an acre of @Baker ‘s sun hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, sunflower, and buckwheat mix on my father’s place this year. I plan on overseeing it in September with rye, WW, turnips, and radishes.
This past season, he had a definite doe factory. We consistently had two doe groups totaling 12 does/fawns hammering the plot (which was only 1/3ac this year) That said, it felt like every buck in the county spent time on the place from the last week of October through thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Food plots are definitely not worthless for hunting, if you're my neighbor! Especially the fenceline sitters who are hunting timber and not directly over my plots. Lotta recoveries of nice bucks taking place in our farm the past few years since I started plotting. I'm ready to abandon a few of them, but still really want to provide as much winter & early spring food as I can. I want more acres of food, but need to get them further away from the fencelines.

I have learned a couple things.......

We have neither. So adjust the goals to something attainable for what you have available.
I have a friend with land 5 miles east of us, with great neighbors all with the same goals. They have deer galore, and shoot some absolute great deer every year.... not far at all from bwoods and freeborn

You make a good point on adjusting your expectations based on your hunting situation. You did omit one important item to obtaining your deer hunting goals .... learn how to hunt deer.

I see folks coming on here, or read an article in the deer hunting made easy sites, and think they have found the holy grail solutions to all of their deer hunting problems. Plant food plots, hinge cut, apple trees, screening, buck beds, water holes, etc. ... then wonder why their hunting experience does not change? They then blame they habitat changes for the lack of their success.

For me, the habitat mgmt part is easy, learning deer behavior is always an ongoing learning process. Keep in mind when every time you change something in the habitat, and you are trying to change deer behavior, don't be surprised if the behavior change is not what you wanted.