All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food for thought

Either way, this story will get them lots of page views and publicity. That makes it a winner for the mag whether it is true or just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Wasn't Kroll the one that said brassica kill deer or something like that? Just a bunch of propaganda. Roundup has been around a long time. While in some areas deer populations are down, in other areas populations are high. How is that explained?

We would have no deer where I live if that was the case. There hasnt been any NON Roundup ready beans or corn planted in at least 5 years where I live and we are in big ag country. I havent seen any abnormal decline in HEALTHY fawns either.

Wasn't Kroll the one that said brassica kill deer or something like that? Just a bunch of propaganda. Roundup has been around a long time. While in some areas deer populations are down, in other areas populations are high. How is that explained?

Actually, that can happen and did a few years ago to a friend of my dads.

Why do you think it's propaganda? Tough to argue when scientists find residue in animal tissue.

Last edited:
Argue what? That there is residue in the deer or that the residue is the cause of a whole bunch of unrelated occurrences over a long time?

I think we need much more study to conclude gmo's are causing theses problems. I not saying they are not, but to be fair scientists would need to take deer in the same area and do two studies. One involving feed with gmo's and one without. Do that for years and show me the differences in heard health.

Until then, I'm getting my genetically modified flu vaccine every year and I'm using herbicide. I like to use as little as possible but......

I believe the real issue the world has with these herbicides and the food supply is weed resistance. We're developing super weeds and there is no way around it. Herbicide can't be sprayed without drift. Water hemp and ragweed are the superstars right now. My deer eat both but the world doesn't.

I also saw a story this week on glyphosphate residues found in German beers. The reporter suggested the residue came from from the barley and wheat used to brew it. My thought was that I sure hope it came from the barley and wheat. And that having a few micrograms per litre won't stop me from drinking hefeweizen.

If you do a search for glyphosphate and disease, you'll find it is the cause of just about every human malady so I guess were all screwed.

I find it interesting how much support it has here yet it's in the process of being banned or is banned in 26 countries including Russia which I found surprising.

I used to share your thoughts but that has changed so I guess I'm in the minority here and that's ok.

Last edited:
In the end, does it really matter? What are they going to replace it with? Will "that" product be found to cause the same issues 20 years down the road? I'm betting it does. Poison is poison, any way you look at it.

I think it does matter. We're back to over 10% of soybeans planted in the US to be non-gmo. Just takes proper crop rotation.

I find it interesting how much support it has here yet it's in the process of being banned or is banned in 26 countries including Russia which I found surprising.

I used to share your thoughts but that has changed so I guess I'm in the minority here and that's ok.

Going forward if you're not using herbicides it would interesting if you share what works and what doesn't. Other than for establishment I have stopped using anything on cover and just mow.

Will you use gly for an initial burn down?
It seems to me that the article was concerned with animals eating crops sprayed with gly. In my experience drilling eagle beans into killed sod requires no more herbicide application because they grow so fast and thick and create a canopy.

The down side is they don't brown down early enough to broadcast grains into them in the fall and at the end of the day they are GMO beans.

Is the problem the gly itself or the GMO part?

Going forward if you're not using herbicides it would interesting if you share what works and what doesn't. Other than for establishment I have stopped using anything on cover and just mow.

It seems to me that the article was concerned with animals eating crops sprayed with gly. In my experience drilling eagle beans into killed sod requires no more herbicide application because they grow so fast and thick and create a canopy.

The down side is they don't brown down early enough to broadcast grains into them in the fall and at the end of the day they are GMO beans.

No gly on the initial burndown.

The problem seems to be with gly itself. The reason to use non-gmo seeds would be because they are naturally cross bread to be disease and pest resistant where your non-gmo beans or corn would be more susceptible without gly. I was actually planning to spray my main bean plot this year but have changed my mind it's not a wise choice. Had I made the decision sooner I would have planted the field in rye last fall. I will probably have a short cycle of rye and then plant beans this spring, I'm sure I'll have plenty of weeds still but that's not all bad.

This also puts more importance on getting a no-till drill.

90% of just about everything causes cancer in the state of California.

Besides were food plotters not farmers, is a few weeds going to hurt your plot, no. Will it affect you profit margin, no. So why worry about a few weeds in food plots.

Don't throw all your gly away.

It would be interesting to see what happens to a few non GMO beans that get sprayed.

I've read where people think the GMO trait has cross pollinated to most varieties.

I don't know if I buy that, but you could test it on a few plants and see.

I've never sprayed my plot. The first years in getting the plot established I disked and planted winter rye. The 2nd year I frost seeded winter rye again. The rye will come to life in lower temps than anything else, it will choke out the weeds if planted thick enough.
Last fall I got an area ready to plant some apple trees I seeded it heavy with winter rye. I do not have any plans to spray for weed control.

I've never sprayed my plot. The first years in getting the plot established I disked and planted winter rye. The 2nd year I frost seeded winter rye again. The rye will come to life in lower temps than anything else, it will choke out the weeds if planted thick enough.
Last fall I got an area ready to plant some apple trees I seeded it heavy with winter rye. I do not have any plans to spray for weed control.

What are you planting?
I've been planting beans into rolled rye for a few years now but I always spray the rye just before or after rolling. Do you roll, disk or leave your rye standing?

I usually have to spray about 4 weeks later for pig weed, ragweed and grasses. By the end of summer when the days start to shorten the cocklebur's come on strong. This year I left the cocklebur go and didn't spray but I'm going to pay for it this year as those darn seeds are everywhere now.

What are you planting?
I've been planting beans into rolled rye for a few years now but I always spray the rye just before or after rolling. Do you roll, disk or leave your rye standing?

I usually have to spray about 4 weeks later for pig weed, ragweed and grasses. By the end of summer when the days start to shorten the cocklebur's come on strong. This year I left the cocklebur go and didn't spray but I'm going to pay for it this year as those darn seeds are everywhere now.

What are you rolling your rye with?

What are you rolling your rye with?

Cultipacker, but I've found with a no till drill most of it is layed down with the planter. For me the key is to plant my beans late after the rye has really had time to mature. By then the stalks are big and crease right over. Another thing is don't wait long after spraying to roll. If the rye dies standing, the stalks harden and it's harder to break them. Last year I sprayed after I rolled.

We really didn't need it for moisture in northern mo this year. Prior to that all that thatch helped hold moisture during the droughts. Drought or not the amount of organic matter going back is awesome.

Scott has good illustrations of it in this thread http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...-till-soybean-mix-and-brassicas-into-rye.702/

Sorry for getting off track Shawn.

What are you planting?

I've roll the rye over with the packer & if I want to kill it I disk or till it in. I get some come back but really don't worry about it to much. I've planted clover, chicory, winter peas, rape, radish's & turnips.