Flame willow

andrew

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any experience with these? Will they grow in wet soil? How tall do they get? Thanks.

anyone?

No experience. But thanks for the post. Those things look cool. I'd like to mix some with my yellow dogwoods. Winter color would be awesome.

Having said that. It's a willow, it probably loves water. I've planted hybrids in standing water and they thrive.

What I learned looking says 12X12.

Ok, I want some! Had never heard of them so I Googled them. Great looking winter plant and like Bill said; would look awesome with some yellow twig dogwood.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've read a lot about them, it says they can get 20 ft tall. Ive seen some willow Trees that have a large trunk with a deep bark pattern that have orange branches, I'm wondering if these are flame willow? I don't want trees a I want a tall branching shrub.

I've read a lot about them, it says they can get 20 ft tall. Ive seen some willow Trees that have a large trunk with a deep bark pattern that have orange branches, I'm wondering if these are flame willow? I don't want trees a I want a tall branching shrub.
Once you have a good established root system, all you have to do is cut them off about 6" above the ground(it is a practice called coppicing) every other year or so and they will continue to send up new growth from the stump and they will branch like crazy. I still have to dig up the pics I have and post them here so everyone can see what this really creates as far as a cover type screen. It works great with willows, poplar, aspen, and some other shrubs like ROD.

Well, I ordered 2'-3' flame willows from my local swcd today.

I think our SWCD gets there trees from Shumacher Nursery down in heron lake, they have a pretty good selection.

We stock the store and start accepting orders for spring delivery on Jan 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

John, do you know how they handle wet feet?

How deer resistant is this willow

They are growing to grow best in wet conditions.

The one I have had hasn't done anything, sawfly larvae attacks it so bad and it doesn't have much vigor versus a lot of willows in my experience.