First try at no-till soybean mix and brassicas into rye

That's one of the better purple tops I've seen. What was your plant date?
These turnips were planted 7/10.

These turnips were planted 7/10.
That's sounds about right. How much N per acre? Obviously they are a bit bigger since things were growing WELL into November. I even saw some fall oats heading out.

That's sounds about right. How much N per acre? Obviously they are a bit bigger since things were growing WELL into November. I even saw some fall oats heading out.
We have around an acre of brassicas on a couple plots, I believe I put 50# urea on this acre. I've been doing the Dbltree's brassica/cereal rotation for 4 years and each year it seems I don't need as much N. Going to try part of a plot next year with no N and see how it works.

We have around an acre of brassicas on a couple plots, I believe I put 50# urea on this acre. I've been doing the Dbltree's brassica/cereal rotation for 4 years and each year it seems I don't need as much N. Going to try part of a plot next year with no N and see how it works.

To be honest, that's all I can see putting on. I'm not a huge fan of using fertilizers, since I'm just doing it for deer. I think on my one acre of clover/brassica/rye/oats I put out 50lb of urea (so 23? actual pounds) and 50lb of potash (something like 20 actual pounds).

I think the most important thing with brassicas is the seeding rate and planting time.

Do you actually have deer eat your turnips when they are that big?!

Do you actually have deer eat your turnips when they are that big?!
These are the biggest turnip we've ever grown so I can't tell you they will. Ususally our turnips are softball size and they get all eaten. There were only about 5 that were this size so I'll let you know how they do.

Did a quick video of the summer rolled down grass plot the other day, pretty much toast but there are some brassicas in there.

On 12/28 we got a really wet snow/rain mix and then it's been pretty cold since. we have a good 3/4' crust on the snow. Luckily there wasn't a lot of snow but they are still having some trouble digging down threw it to get to the brassicas, some of the top were still above the snow but they were wiped out in a couple days.

Today

The last couple weeks we've had warm temps here and most all the snow had melted, but we got hit with a storm Wed. and received 5-6" of snow.

Rye plot digging through the snow.

Same plot 4 days later, green.

This brassica plot down to the mud.

And this one hardly touched, this one is going to be smaller this coming year and more cereal grains.

Very similar looking scene here with my cereal mix and brassica plot. Except we got roughly 15" of snow here a little south of you in South/East Shiawassee County...

Very similar looking scene here with my cereal mix and brassica plot. Except we got roughly 15" of snow here a little south of you in South/East Shiawassee County...
I think the farther south you go the more snow you got, I was so ready for spring.

"And this one hardly touched, this one is going to be smaller this coming year and more cereal grains."

Any clue as to why? Location? Over abundance? Other?

"And this one hardly touched, this one is going to be smaller this coming year and more cereal grains."

Any clue as to why? Location? Over abundance? Other?
Location, the one that was hardly touched is about 300yds behind the house with hardly any cover, honestly I think we've made the other area more attractive and pulled the deer over there.

Wedneday I broadcast some crimson clover into my last years brassicas, lots of thatch there from the rolled down rye.

Just a little wet, an unusually wet spring so far here.

Last years summer plot, going to plant about the same mix sorghum, millet, sunflowers, peas. soybeans kinda a mix of a little everything. Going to al least double the size of this plot this year.

Not a lot of thatch on this plot, might have to hit it with the disk a little.

Clover is starting look ok.

Can't call this a roll and spray plot this year, the plot from last year didn't have much to roll down so I hit it with the disk. I got a couple plots in today of the sorghum mix. We're supposed to be getting some rain tonight/tomorrow.

Last years plot disked and planted and sprayed.

This field didn't have anything planted in it last year, little more grasses to kill.

Looks great, Scott!

Last night I tried the method of broadcasting rr soybeans into last years winter rye, rolling it and then spraying it with gly. We'll see how it goes.

Looks great, Scott!

Last night I tried the method of broadcasting rr soybeans into last years winter rye, rolling it and then spraying it with gly. We'll see how it goes.

What I've seen is it doesn't look like much in the begining and then they take off so don't get discouraged if it doesn't look good at first. Good luck with it!

Made the sorghum mix plot about a 1/2 acre bigger, use the broadcast, roll and spray method.

Got a decent kill on the rolled down plot.

Disked side is coming along good.

They are liking the new plot.