First try at no-till soybean mix and brassicas into rye

I notill some fields every year. Some real heavy ground I don't dare notill. There is a lot more that goes into notilling than just trying to put the seed into some thatch.

So many things have to take place or be in place for my notill farming, food plots.....who cares. Here are a few things that have worked for me. Fertilizer always has to be in place. So that means having some fertilizer that does not transfer well must be on 2 years ahead. Then having the right equipment on your planter for notilling. Heavy frame, heavy down pressure springs, The right type of notill coulters, The right type of row cleaners, the right type of closing wheels for your soil, and I run drag chains after all that to make sure the seed gets covered. And make sure the seed is at the proper depth! Then you need to realize notill soil is usually a lot cooler at the start than soil that is conventionally tilled. So that means a slower crop start. I use liquid starter fertilizer in the trench with the corn seed to help get it going. Then weed management can be a problem.

Notilling ain't easy, you can pay dearly for not turning the soil over some years. But long term, I like it for improving soil health!

My statements may have been misleading as what I did was not no till. I disked up the sorghum but a thatch still remained which I drilled into. All was fertilized and sprayed the same and everything germinated. Where there was thatch the planting is severely lagging behind and appears to be lacking the proper nutrients.

10 days after planting my brassicas with the spray/rolldown method it looks like I got a decent kill on the rye and clover. This is going to be interesting if this rye/clover is going to be too thick of a mulch.

This is the summer plot I tried, still getting a fair amount of pics of deer using it, mostly does and fawns. This plot is about 1/4 acre and I think I'm going to throw 1# of brassica seed in here before the next rain.

Some volunteer trefoil.

I pulled some of the mulch back and found I do have some germination on the brassicas, there is also a some clovers that didn't get hit when sprayed.

The first part of July I mowed a couple widths wide strip down through the rye and hit it a couple passes with the disc and planted some oats and alfalfa. Oats look ok.

Here is some pics on the usage of this summer plot and one reason I don't have any soybeans for fall, I went back over the card from this plot and noticed the beans and how they devoured them in a short time.

Notice the beans the doe is eating and the next pic they are all gone in a little over a minute.

They decided to bed right in the plot and then continue eating on them when they got up.

I wonder if that is all bad? It's one thing to not have the late season food for winter bulk up, but it also seems the deer are fatter this year on our place than they have been in the past. Soybeans seem like an efficient way to get antler minerals into the deer too.

I wonder if that is all bad? It's one thing to not have the late season food for winter bulk up, but it also seems the deer are fatter this year on our place than they have been in the past. Soybeans seem like an efficient way to get antler minerals into the deer too.
I agree with you, I plant these just for a summer draw, my LC mix is my fall draw. Years ago I stopped planting beans and my summer sightings went way down so I went back to planting some and the sightings increased. It's just a part of my summer planting now.

The throw and roll summer plot is still plugging along, browsed pretty good but still doing ok. We could really use some rain and it might take off again.

Midnight snack

These brassicas were planted on 7/10 and we've recieved just over an 1" of rain since.

With a some rain the last little bit this summer plot has taken off again. It's good in some areas and not so good in others, where the mulch was it's good and where the mulch is thin or non existant not so good. You can see in the trail cam pics the the thin strips.

The jury is still out on the really thick rye mulch, with the recent rains it seems to be coming on but time will tell. These are pics of the thick rye.

Had to pick some of the mulch up to find these, they are there, 4/10 of rain last night will help out.

Looks like their hiding in there. Just need some water.

Looks like their hiding in there. Just need some water.
Yep, that's what I'm hoping.

Kinda funny how things work out, I planted this summer plot the way I did because I couldn't get the tractor back there because it was too wet and after planting the rain stopped and from late June through the end of July we got just over 2" of rain.
I moved the trail cam yesterday over this plot because it was facing east and when the sun came up I wold get 400-500 pics by noon of nothing. Once Aug hit we started getting rain and this plot actually came to life.

Same thing with the brassicas and the rain, they were planted around July 15th 1/2" of rain the first couple days and then not much for a couple weeks, they are starting to take off with the moisture now. I over seeded some of the bare spots the other night just before a nice 1" rain, supposed to get some rain on Mon/Tues so I have to pick up some Urea and top dress the brassicas.

really thick rye thatch.

Once the rains in Aug came, so far we've received over 3" of rain in Aug, funny saying the rains of Aug usually it's drier around here in Aug. the summer plot really took off. If nothing else it will make decent cover and a screen because my cereal plots are about 20yds to the right.

The beans are still growing under the milo/sorghum.

Peas are climbing

The thick mulched brassicas are doing better since all the moisture too.

I over seeded into some of the bare spots awhile ago, don't think they'll produce bulbs but it'll be greens.

Very nice Scott. Messing around with zero tillage is kind of fun...and enlightening. Since I've been working on the process...I've become less and less interested in buying a tractor and implements.

I'm not a corn and bean guy though...
I've always done some sort of tillage and had good results, this is all new and like you said it's good to see it work. I think I'll always do some discing but more throw and mow or throw and roll.

I bought an old Dearborn Cultivator today. My intent is to fashion it so I can stir the dirt between my bean rows......AND GROW SOME CROPS.

I've had very poor results when overseeding undisturbed soils in my thriving soybeans. I'm hoping this set-up will preserve most of my thriving soybeans.....yet provide a seed bed that will grow something. I've only got $200 invested in the cultivator......so it's worth a whirl. ;)

The field cultivator should be good for many other situations too. Especially on newly broken ground. :)

I bought an old Dearborn Cultivator today. My intent is to fashion it so I can stir the dirt between my bean rows......AND GROW SOME CROPS.

I've had very poor results when overseeding undisturbed soils in my thriving soybeans. I'm hoping this set-up will preserve most of my thriving soybeans.....yet provide a seed bed that will grow something. I've only got $200 invested in the cultivator......so it's worth a whirl. ;)

The field cultivator should be good for many other situations too. Especially on newly broken ground. :)
Sounds like a good plan.

Scott really like those plot pictures with the deer. Cant wait for the day I can plant something strictly for the wildlife and get some great use pictures like yours.

Got back tonight and went back to check a camera behind my house and took a couple pics of the thick rye rolled down brassicas, really thickened up the last couple weeks.

Scott that is perfect, wow
You would make Doug gallow proud.

Last edited by a moderator: