First True Fruit Tree Plot Push...Spray discussion

Did you order grafted varieties? Many apples have some resistance to CAR.

I'd say it depends on the varieties you're planting. Many of the DR varieties have at least some resistance to CAR. Some trees that get CAR only have the leaves affected, not so much the fruit. If you're going to plant in the future - and if the trees are for deer - check into crab apples. Less hassle.

I went to the Purdue site that lists apple & crab varieties that are resistant to the major diseases. Some good DR apple varieties that have good to excellent resistance to CAR: Liberty, Enterprise, NovaMac, Freedom, Priscilla, Sundance, Redfree, Williams Pride.

Good edible crabs with good CAR resistance: Chestnut, Dolgo, Firecracker.

The site is at https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-132-W.pdf

Last edited:
I am a rookie and I wish I knew more about this. I ordered trees from the Conservation District in Delta County, MI up in the UP. The choices were limited. They are supposed to be trees that have done well in that northern climate. All this disease stuff is catching me by surprise due to my lack of knowledge. I'll admit I researched and documented how to plant them, but didn't know to research about diseases.

Here is what I ordered:

• Red Regent
  • Snow Sweet
  • Frost Bite
  • Wolf River
  • Summer Crisp pear trees (2)
I actually wish I could cancel this order now because it looks like this venture will end up to be more than I bargained for, especially being 3.5hrs from camp. I sort of hoped I would be coddling these trees along for a couple years and then I'd be able to just let them do their thing.

The Cedar Rust spray previously mentioned, does it get diluted in water and do you spray the whole tree? I'm going to have to try to make this work I guess since I'll have a lot invested in this with the fencing, top soil, stone mulch, trees, etc.

Its certainly not a death sentence. I have a lot of cedars too, but I've got apples doing well so far. I've seen spots on the leaves in a couple varieties I planted my first year, but the trees are doing fine. I won't plant the really bad CAR varieties. I'd love to have goldrush, but from what I read it gets CAR pretty bad and my summers are hot and humid. If you have room, next year plant some chestnut crab, dolgo, liberty, and enterprise. That's what I did!

MoJo - Don't lose sleep over the trees. Even some trees that get CAR only get it on the leaves. Fruit output is still OK. Let 'em grow and see what happens. Like TMIL said above - next year plant a few of the varieties he mentioned. ^^^^^ And check out the Purdue site I posted above at post #22. Purdue is a BIG apple research university - part of the PRI partnership for apple research. ( Purdue, Rutgers, U. of Illinois ).

Thanks for the replies everyone. This site really rocks.

I have copied the trees TMIL mentioned and bookmarked the Purdue site to read.

So now a question on Immunox. Does it mix with water in like a 1gallon sprayer and do I spray the whole tree or just leaves? Would this need to happen for the life of the tree? I'm guessing that as the trees mature, spraying a whole tree becomes far more difficult.

MoJo - I've never used Immunox, so can't answer that one. Read the directions that come with it, or research at a local university web-site / call the extension office of that university. Much good help available. U. of Michigan and MSU are great resources for fruit trees.

As for spraying for the life of the tree - I'd say it depends on what you want from the tree(s). If it's for deer, I've read and been told by experts that the first 5 or 6 years are the most critical for spraying so the tree gets established with a good root system and canopy. If a tree gets pruned & trained correctly, so it gets plenty of sunlight and breeze into the center of the tree, spraying becomes less critical the bigger the tree gets. ( This advice applies to DEER trees ). If you are feeding people, I think more spraying is needed for a longer period / life of the tree. I'd have to defer to commercial apple experts for that info. I'm not growing apples for people / market. If we eat any, we'll take them with some fly speck, blemishes, etc.

MoJo- for Immunox, I used 2/3 of an ounce per gallon of water .