First True Fruit Tree Plot Push...Spray discussion

tynimiller

5 year old buck +
Okay, so design habitat - no problem...execute bedding scultping - no issue....food plots - got it....however never really pushed into the fruit tree realm much.

Just planted an assortment of 6 different Apples and 2 Pears. Not budding out yet and only been in the ground for about a week now (weather was perfect!).

While planning on mulching around them here soon, the question is what sprays do you guys recommend be utilized now-post green up and then if any throughout post leafing?

There are cedar on the property so I know to be safe (a few of the kinds I got are disease resistant) I will need to spray for rust...but just looking for experienced advice from folks been doing it for a while now.

Dormant oil would be the first route to go.

allseasonsdormantoil_MD.jpg

Dormant oil would be the first route to go.

allseasonsdormantoil_MD.jpg

Application of this could be done right now correct? However, once budding begins I would want to switch, no?

yeah dormant oil is generally only needed once.

Once I'm done I switch to a mixture of Captan & Imidan, however I'm told Imidan is now illegal for us home growers. Some of the orchard guys might have to way in on what the heck to do now with no imidan access.

@Appleman @Maya @greyphase @CrazyEd

Good deal. I am setting up a meeting with a local Orchard to discuss grafting and maybe even work out a volunteer a few weekends a year assistance and only get repayed with knowledge shared and a few whips to try grafting in the future. NOT locked in so if that doesn't happen just trying to gather AS MUCH knowledge as possible and books and articles only do so much.

Depends on how much you want to spray. I will do dormant oil now and the occasional sevin for insect pests, mostly aphids on young trees.

For a bigger spray program you need to look up IPM. Spend time understanding the diseases, when and how often to spray, what to spray. More complicated than I want to deal with but the information is out there. A good manual on fruit growing and pest management from the University extension programs will help.

Depends on how much you want to spray. I will do dormant oil now and the occasional sevin for insect pests, mostly aphids on young trees.

For a bigger spray program you need to look up IPM. Spend time understanding the diseases, when and how often to spray, what to spray. More complicated than I want to deal with but the information is out there. A good manual on fruit growing and pest management from the University extension programs will help.

The Sevin is planned for insects and such, my biggest concern is the somewhat local Cedars causing cedar rust and what treatments folks here have utilized and regiment of when to spray have seen success.

Thanks on the IPM information...already doing some digging deeper!

I use Immunox for Cedar rust

I'm sticking with the Dormant Oil then Captan and Imidan. It's gotta be better than not spraying at all. I hope it pays off years to come.

I use Immunox for Cedar rust

Immunox is what I have heard the most for the rust. You spray anything else besides or haven't found it needed?

If I may ask timing of Immunox application that you do?

Immunox is what I have heard the most for the rust. You spray anything else besides or haven't found it needed?

If I may ask timing of Immunox application that you do?
I apply at pink bud stage when the buds begin opening and about every 2 weeks until early July. No more then 10 applications per seasons.

I'm of no help with the rust problem. There are no cedars ( actually junipers ) anywhere near our fruit trees. So we don't have the rust worry. Almost all of our apples and crabs are DR, so insects are our biggest problems. I generally use Sevin for the bugs.

I'm of no help with the rust problem. There are no cedars ( actually junipers ) anywhere near our fruit trees. So we don't have the rust worry. Almost all of our apples and crabs are DR, so insects are our biggest problems. I generally use Sevin for the bugs.
Won't Sevin cause apple trees to abort a certain percentage of fruit? I have been using it also but this is the first year I am going to allow my trees to fruit.

At a certain window of time it is used for thinning yes, i think it may even be a certain kind of sevin. However someone that is in commercial production would probably be able to answer that best.

At a certain window of time it is used for thinning yes, i think it may even be a certain kind of sevin. However someone that is in commercial production would probably be able to answer that best.
That would be great to know because I have Japanese Beetle problem an Sevin seems to work the best.

I think it was Maya who told me that after apples get to the size of a nickel, the Sevin won't have a thinning effect. I wondered the same thing - if I used Sevin, would I lose all my apples. He told me no. I'll have to go back through my PM's and see if I can find the info.

I think it was Maya who told me that after apples get to the size of a nickel, the Sevin won't have a thinning effect. I wondered the same thing - if I used Sevin, would I lose all my apples. He told me no. I'll have to go back through my PM's and see if I can find the info.

Good to know. I had a buddy who grows apples in his yard say he doesn't use Sevin in fear of this...and mixes a organic concoction with good results but he said he sprays once a week...ugh...not happening here.

New to apple trees here. I will be planting 6 of them when they arrive in April. I am now concerned over this cedar rust thing. I have loads of cedars on my property. Am I doomed from the start? I live 3.5 hrs away from camp and can't be there often for spraying. Is spraying something I will need to do and for how many years?