Extreme Blower Seeder

That thing is cool. What do they go for?

It's the 90 degree day and the way the college spreads ice melt you mention that has me interested. I could have someone slowly drive the side by side while I'm blasting seed. Sure sounds like it would beat me walking the field two or three times and changing my wet shirt when I'm done....

oh man.. ICE MELT!!!! PERFECT

Would this work for spreading fluffy NWSG's like big blue and indian grass?

You got it. The blower takes out the inconsistencies in cranking speed, and the distance seed can be thrown reduces the amount of walking required to seed a given plot. This reduces fatigue and increases the likelihood a person can maintain a consistent speed and swing. It may not seem like a big deal at face value, but when it's 90+ degrees, humid, and you've already worked all day, those little things matter.

Depending on the blower, you can throw seed much further than you could ever spin cast. I recommend a blower that does no more than 500 CFM. Anything higher and it can get tough to control. I use an electric blower and I can cover a 60 foot swat in one pass. Trying to throw and mow in 6' tall rye? This is your product.

But adds the variable of swinging (left/right) and angling (up/down) of the blower.

Bravo Jack, bravo. I really took your fist post as critical and negative towards something you had never used and had no experience with (apparently so did the original poster as he answered your first post with confirmation of what he felt was a good product). But then in a later post you revealed that you really were baiting us; into keeping the thread alive, drawing others in, and getting the OP to explain again that it is a good product with even coverage. You accomplished all those things! The trickery is strong with you my friend. Bravo!

Not really trying to do anything tricky. My intent was not to bait anyone or keep the thread alive. I wasn't trying to promote or demote the product. I was just trying to apply critical thinking to this (and any product I discuss). Drawing folks out and keeping the thread alive are just side effects of a good two sided conversation. Most folks using this forum are beyond making a purchase decision based on marketing hype. A good critical discussion where they can see pros and cons let them figure out if they have an application that matches the product and if the product is worth the investment.

I like to see others weighing in on the discussion with questions thoughts ideas and such.

Thanks,

Jack

When the state builds a new highway they contract a company to seed the banks and dirt work. I have never seen these companies use a hand crank spreader or any type of spinning spreader. They blow it.

Makes me think this has to be a highly efficient and dependable tool.

Thanks Mr SD for bringing this product to our attention. The only downside I see for your device is that the Amish won’t be able to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are hydro seeders and it is a quite different application and a much more expensive technology. It allows for seeding with water and sticking agent for fast germination, on hillsides way to steep for other methods to be practical.

I think seeding cover crops in to standing corn is clearly a niche where this can do something a good chest mount seeder can't. It will be interesting to see the issues folks have with even distribution as they walk and swing and more end users begin to use the product and report back.

Thanks,

Jack

Looks like a great option for someone wanting to plant rice---I imagine you could get some pretty good distance.

But adds the variable of swinging (left/right) and angling (up/down) of the blower.

Not really trying to do anything tricky. My intent was not to bait anyone or keep the thread alive. I wasn't trying to promote or demote the product. I was just trying to apply critical thinking to this (and any product I discuss). Drawing folks out and keeping the thread alive are just side effects of a good two sided conversation. Most folks using this forum are beyond making a purchase decision based on marketing hype. A good critical discussion where they can see pros and cons let them figure out if they have an application that matches the product and if the product is worth the investment.

I like to see others weighing in on the discussion with questions thoughts ideas and such.

Thanks,

Jack

I can tell you these things are not getting sent back, and orders are coming in higher and higher each summer.

The guys that are going to benefit from this are the ones who have had the same struggles I had. This product really shines when you start getting creative. I had low copper and low boron in my clover plot. My soil test called for 5lbs of copper sulfate powder and 8lbs of borax over a half acre. The copper sulfate rate was so low, you couldn't even see it on the ground after if was all spread. Yet by blowing it, you could monitor your cloud and ensure proper coverage. Borax will not flow through a small opening by gravity alone, but the updraft into the hopper served to agitate it and keep it coming down. And you have to be very careful with both of those to not overdo it.

Wow ... I kind of forgot about this post over the past couple of weeks. LOL ... lots of arguing for such a simple concept of a product and one that doesn't break the bank for the guy who cannot afford or have access to large equipment ... LOL. Dang guys ... just a simple practical product. Yea seed distribution is dependent on YOU and your ability to walk and swing a blower back and forth ... pretty tough concept I know ... LOL.

Here are a couple photos of the results after a couple of weeks.

I think this photo was at about 10 days after planting the plot in the video ...
IMG_20180827_132827_078.jpg

I think this photo was at about 14-16 days after planting in that video. It looks like it is in rows simply because I did a light disk after spraying the seed and my disk tends to windrow a bit. The stuff in between is filling in nicely now. Pretty darn uniform for walking and spraying back and forth huh ... LOL.
20180830_201544_HDR.jpg

And this image is from a poor man's throw and mow type of plot in a secluded area. I just hit it with round up, waited a couple of weeks, sprayed in the seed, and then took my weedeater to it to spread the thatch ... then let it rain. It has a couple of thin spots, but that is a thatch issue on my part and not that of the blower seeder.
IMG_20180905_152611_383.jpg

Rains are moving in over the coming weekend and I intend to spread a bunch of urea on these plots with the blower spreader attachment. Should make quick work of it.

Last edited:
I have one of these that I made myself. We use it to overseed cover crops into standing corn. Where it really shines though is planting millet for ducks. We plant on mudflats that u will sink up to your crotch in. We have one guy run the mud motor on the boat while another guy blows seed out the side of the boat on onto the mudflats. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow ... I kind of forgot about this post over the past couple of weeks. LOL ... lots of arguing for such a simple concept of a product and one that doesn't break the bank for the guy who cannot afford or have access to large equipment ... LOL. Dang guys ... just a simple practical product. Yea seed distribution is dependent on YOU and your ability to walk and swing a blower back and forth ... pretty tough concept I know ... LOL.

Here are a couple photos of the results after a couple of weeks.

I think this photo was at about 10 days after planting the plot in the video ...
View attachment 20396

I think this photo was at about 14-16 days after planting in that video. It looks like it is in rows simply because I did a light disk after spraying the seed and my disk tends to windrow a bit. The stuff in between is filling in nicely now. Pretty darn uniform for walking and spraying back and forth huh ... LOL.
View attachment 20397

And this image is from a poor man's throw and mow type of plot in a secluded area. I just hit it with round up, waited a couple of weeks, sprayed in the seed, and then took my weedeater to it to spread the thatch ... then let it rain. It has a couple of thin spots, but that is a thatch issue on my part and not that of the blower seeder.
View attachment 20398

Rains are moving in over the coming weekend and I intend to spread a bunch of urea on these plots with the blower spreader attachment. Should make quick work of it.
Odd how that second photo kind of looks like rows....

Rows are very common with the way he did his plot. When I was still using tillage I could get beautiful rows with broadcasting and a disk or springtooth.

Reactions: DEC

Did you even read the post?

I have a 48" wide disk that I pull behind a Ford 1520. This plot is easy access and I traditionally till about half of it and plant that half to brassicas, the other half stays in clover. This year I killed and tilled the entire thing as it was like year four on the clover portion of the plot and time for a do over. I tilled the plot up. My small disk tends to windrow in the middle of the path. Once it was tilled, I seeded in that video. I then jumped on my tractor and disked the field lightly, only cutting in an inch or two on average. Just enough to turn some dirt over the seed. Again it windrows the dirt. The result is that some seed is buried a bit deeper than other seed. You end up with the deeper seed taking a couple weeks to catch up. This is the way it looks every time no matter what equipment I used to broadcast seed when I till using this disk. In another couple of weeks you won't even be able to tell. I cannot believe the skepticism over a freaking food plot and a $50 attachment.

Last edited:
I will pull a spike toothed drag across the top of my plots after I seed, and it makes them look like they are in rows.

Dec, skepticism comes with new things, don’t take offense to it. In today’s world there are so many gimmicks you have to be skeptical or you will buy a bunch of junk that doesn’t do crap. I can see benefits to this, as someone else brought up, planting around ponds, in muddy areas, hillsides, ditches, or a regular plot if you aren’t concerned with how thin or thick it is planted. Which most food plotters could live with a few thin spots, and a few thick spots.

I sure could have used one last weekend, trying to spread winter rye, winter wheat, and clover in a few plots in minimum time. I hand tossed the rye and wheat, and hand cranked the clover. This would have been handy for sure. I may need to look into one, where can you buy this?

I may need to look into one, where can you buy this?

I know that Cabela's sells at least one of the models. Extreme Blower Products has a website that you can order direct. I would assume Amazon and other outlets too.

Like I said, I have nothing in mine. I met the owner through a mutual friend. Our meeting wasn't food plot or hunting related at all, it actually involved working with youth. We struck up a conversation and found that we had hunting in common which lead into a discussion about food plots which then led into a discussion on how I do video work in the hunting industry. He said "here try this out and let me know what you think". I have no ties to the product or the company. I used it on several plots this fall and did a couple videos ... that is what I do. If the product had sucked, I would have said so. Conversely, the product is pretty darn slick. Again, I have no affiliation with the company.

I will pull a spike toothed drag across the top of my plots after I seed, and it makes them look like they are in rows.

Dec, skepticism comes with new things, don’t take offense to it. In today’s world there are so many gimmicks you have to be skeptical or you will buy a bunch of junk that doesn’t do crap. I can see benefits to this, as someone else brought up, planting around ponds, in muddy areas, hillsides, ditches, or a regular plot if you aren’t concerned with how thin or thick it is planted. Which most food plotters could live with a few thin spots, and a few thick spots.

I sure could have used one last weekend, trying to spread winter rye, winter wheat, and clover in a few plots in minimum time. I hand tossed the rye and wheat, and hand cranked the clover. This would have been handy for sure. I may need to look into one, where can you buy this?

I'm good with skepticism, but dang... sometimes it just plain feels like nitpicking. The nitpicking gets really old. I'm on several sites (one of them the posters will blatantly tell you to F#@! OFF if you cross a line) and this is the one has the most unwarranted "skepticism" of insignificant things. I feel it's unfortunate as there is A TON of knowledge here but I personally know quite a few habitat guys who didn't stick around due to exactly how DEC feels. I seldom post here due to it, but frequent the site anyway.

I took this photo today of the same large plot that is in the video featuring the blower seeder at the beginning of this thread. This was planted exactly 19 days ago. We had a few days of rain right after I planted it and then we just came off of a week straight of oppressive heat and humidity, several days over 90 degrees. It rained a bit last night finally.

The upper half is oats, rye, and clover. The stuff in the foreground is Grains & Greens by Grandpa Ray's. All applied exactly as shown in the video, as my camera was sitting on a tripod at about the crest of that rise in this photo.
Be skeptical all you want ... :emoji_laughing:
20180906_120048_HDR.jpg

Rows are very common with the way he did his plot. When I was still using tillage I could get beautiful rows with broadcasting and a disk or springtooth.

Thanks. I can see how a disk could move the seed and make that pic look row like. His latest pic looks more like what I would expect. Glad I'm not using tillage anymore...

So here is some early results from probably the coolest thing that this seeder can do. Over seeding into a standing crop field. I used the blower seeder to spray some oats, rye, rape, and brasicas into a standing corn field. In general it is coming up pretty good. I found a couple of areas covered in turkey tracks and I think the birds hit some of the larger oat/rye seed pretty hard in just a couple of more open areas. But other areas are coming up real well. Here is a good example of an area where the rape in particular is coming up nicely. You can see some of the oats/rye coming in as well. This should really keep filling in well as the fall progresses.

IMG_20180909_113508565.jpg