Enterprise/gold rush

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Let’s see some of your mature trees with apples still hanging. Would like to see pictures taken within the last week.

Picture taken on 10-13-2018. This tree was planted by previous owner just before I bought land. I don't know what variety it is. Apples hang until mid November. Great eating apple also.20181013_105821.jpg

Looks like and Arkansas Black to me Tom

Very nice. Why are most apple trees I see around here already void of foliage? Is it because of no spray? Mine are still mostly holding green leaves. The bigger trees up the road are all completely bare already

Charman - It's a really weird year weather-wise. I don't know if or how so much rain has upset the usual flow into fall. But for sure the weather has been LOTS WARMER than usual. Yesterday I took a ride across our mountain to check on fall leaf color and there really wasn't any. What really came as a shock to me was a road lined with maples that are already bare and had no leaf color at all. Most of the trees in our area are just turning brown and dropping. Kind of spooky to see it.

What apples our camp trees had are gone - with the exception of some crabs and a rootstock that has many 1" red apples on it. Those same trees in the last year or 2 had their first apples on them, but this year - zilch. I don't know if squirrels cut them, or it was the weather. 2 of our oldest (60 years -ish) apple trees were loaded in late summer and they all dropped. We've never seen that happen before.

Awesome pics natureboy

What are your thoughts on the taste of Enterprise? Does it get better with storage?

Ha! My one and only ever - from a 2013 graft. The taste on this one I would rate as very good - the wife agrees. It's got the tart fresh zing and really good texture. It will rate right up there with the "super-eaters"...(PixieCrunch,Honeycrisp,Pristine,Sundance to name a few). I actually think this one could do with some ripening time (picked 16oct18) but it was great with a good rub on the shirt right off the tree. I will be looking forward to buckets of these in the years to come. No regrets on the Enterprise choice.

The tree itself is quite behind my other 2013 grafts. They've been throwing fruit the last two or three years where this one just sits...grows a little...mostly my fault for where it's planted I suspect. It's kinda in a corner where big wild black cherry trees are within 40 feet on two sides of this tree...so a little shaded...a little nutrient deficient...but worth the wait I think.

Good to hear that jhoss

Interesting. My tree is a very fast grower, throwing out tons of wood. It put out 10 or so apples this year and the birds/ants got to a few. I've tried 3 now over a 3 week span and I had to spit it out the first two. It left a weird taste in my mouth and was very hard. Maybe not enough ripening time in zone 4a? Our fall has been very cool.

I think the fruit gets better as the tree matures. I was told to let Kidds-Orange-Red get some years on it. This was 3rd year and yes the fruit seemed much better and real good. Zone 4a would be tough one in getting Enterprise to ripen - I get that. This year the frost freeze seems about a month early here in SE Mich. I can imagine it hurts the guys farther north.

All these late Autumn-ripeners really require a month in storage before sinking your teeth into them. They really are the true "keeper" apples and get better with some time inside.

A Goldrush fresh off the tree ……......…. now THAT'S a treat !!! Good looking tree.

You haven't had a frost yet? Are these Goldrush frost-immune? When should they be picked? Great-looking tree and man - wish I had done this 8 years ago!

Have had 2 frosts...one with the low of 26 degrees. They can take frost...its the deep freeze that will turn them to mush. So I watch the forecast every year for that 20 degree mark or so and clear the tree off when I see it coming...last year...it was Nov 8th.

Here is my goldrush harvest for this year. These came from 2 different goldrush trees that I just planted this spring. So what is all over the skin of these apples? Safe to eat?8A61C61D-8F98-4EA3-81F8-E1D73168D3D9.jpeg