E Fence

Big Snow Man

5 year old buck +
Ok peeps help me out on this dilemma
I'm thinking of putting up a acre of electric fence using the Gallagher double fence system. My question is after season you take the fence down how do you put it back up the following year so it fits exactly. Do you leave the corner posts up so you have a starting point for the following year. If you leave the posts then it's a SOB to plant around them. I don't think you throw the tape away every year that would be to costly.

I am interested in this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gallagher-style e-fence is not high tension. I do like 4x4s for corner posts on the outer fence. I use temporary step in posts for everything else. I tie the inner corner step in posts to the 4x4 outer posts. This keeps them straight. You don't really need much tension on the fence. The outer fence needs to be slack enough that you can spin the tape between posts to make it flutter in the wind for a better visual cue. I also leave a little extra turbo wire and tape at the end so things don't have to be exact the next season.

Thanks,

Jack

It doesn't have to fit perfectly every year. If it's short the 2nd year, just add more tape. If it's long, either cut it or just run the extra tape to the next post. That's what I've done for the 4 years I've owned it...it still keeps deer out.

SW Pa

The Gallagher-style e-fence is not high tension. I do like 4x4s for corner posts on the outer fence. I use temporary step in posts for everything else. I tie the inner corner step in posts to the 4x4 outer posts. This keeps them straight. You don't really need much tension on the fence. The outer fence needs to be slack enough that you can spin the tape between posts to make it flutter in the wind for a better visual cue. I also leave a little extra turbo wire and tape at the end so things don't have to be exact the next season.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack I know how to put the fence up I'm asking how to duplicate from year to year

It doesn't have to fit perfectly every year. If it's short the 2nd year, just add more tape. If it's long, either cut it or just run the extra tape to the next post. That's what I've done for the 4 years I've owned it...it still keeps deer out.

SW Pa
So your saying you can splice the turbo tape and the wire if your short say 10 ' ?

Jack I know how to put the fence up I'm asking how to duplicate from year to year

My point was that it doesn't have to be the same next year. Because it is not high tension, there is slack. If you leave a little extra turbo tape and wire, you have a bit more cushion. And of course you can splice tape and wire if it comes to that. If you've put one up before and know how to do it, it should be obvious there are no big issues putting it up the second year.

As for splicing, you can just tie a knot in a pinch, but they make small insulated copper splice devices for the tape and wire that ensure a better connection. The larger capacity the charger and smaller the fence size the less critical the connection is.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
So your saying you can splice the turbo tape and the wire if your short say 10 ' ?
I have knots all through my tape and wire and deer seldom jump it. It's only an acre plot so maybe a larger run of fence may lose voltage because of the slices?? I don't know. And I have a tester but it doesn't show volts or jollies (sp?). I seldom even use the tester. An old farmer showed me the trick of touching the fence with a blade of grass to feel if the fence is charged. The shock is very minor. Not sure I'd try that with a high powered charger, though.

SW Pa

The key is testing. It doesn't matter how you get there. Some knots in turbo wire and tape will make a great connection. These are probably less important that weeds and other grounding sources. As long as it is doing the job, that is what counts. While I don't advise turning it off in case you have new deer move in. The way the fence works with cueing and such, once trained, deer will leave it along until the differential between what is inside and what is outside is sufficient for them to take the risk of testing it again.

A guy once said you could test a fence by licking it but...he doesn't talk much anymore...:D

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks I think that answers that question somewhat. But here are two more

1) How do you splice turbo tape just tie it in a knot ?

2) if I was going to make a gate to get in and spray or over seed. I see that I need those gate openers how do they connect to the opener and what do I need to connect the opener to so it keeps current running through it ? Clear as mud right ?

2) if I was going to make a gate to get in and spray or over seed. I see that I need those gate openers how do they connect to the opener and what do I need to connect the opener to so it keeps current running through it ? Clear as mud right ?

You can simply tie a knot. If you want to ensure the best connection they sell splice connectors for this. One type is little flat plastic sides with a copper strip on each side. You lay both sides of the tape across one side, put the other side on top and screw them together. It also provides an external connection if you need it. This maximizes the conductor to conductor connection verses tying a knot.

I made gates on my fields for spraying as well. They sell gate connectors. They have a plastic handle and a place to connect the wire to an internal metal connection. They have a spring inside and a metal hook coming out of the other end of the plastic handle. I simply tied a loop in the turbo wire and tape and put the hook in the loop. The spring provides enough tension to keep the gate closed and the connection made. You turn off the juice and open the gate when you want in.

Here are some links: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-polytape-to-energizer-connector
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-1-in-polytape-splicer

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-white-rubber-gate-handle?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks,

Jack

I just tie a few square knots...and as Gene Wensel says...If you don't know how to tie the correct knot, then tie lots of them
For a gate, I bought those plastic handled, spring type gizmos. On one end of the wire or tape, tie it to the metal spring in the handle, and at the other end, I just leave a little extra tag end where the 1st post is. I tie a loop in that tag end and that's where the plastic handle hooks to.
Hey, I'm probably doing some things that are not exactly text book, but I get enough juice through my fence to keep deer out of sunflowers...which is saying something.
Here's the best advice I can give to a fence newbie...when you take it down for the year MAKE SURE YOU WIND IT UP ON REELS! I didn't do that the 1st fall and the next spring was MISERABLE getting the tangles out.
For a small 1 acre set-up, 3 cheap cord reels from Lowes work fine. They cost about $10 each, or so.
Use 1 reel for each wire/tape. They fit perfectly.

SW Pa

I just tie a few square knots...and as Gene Wensel says...If you don't know how to tie the correct knot, then tie lots of them
For a gate, I bought those plastic handled, spring type gizmos. On one end of the wire or tape, tie it to the metal spring in the handle, and at the other end, I just leave a little extra tag end where the 1st post is. I tie a loop in that tag end and that's where the plastic handle hooks to.
Hey, I'm probably doing some things that are not exactly text book, but I get enough juice through my fence to keep deer out of sunflowers...which is saying something.
Here's the best advice I can give to a fence newbie...when you take it down for the year MAKE SURE YOU WIND IT UP ON REELS! I didn't do that the 1st fall and the next spring was MISERABLE getting the tangles out.
For a small 1 acre set-up, 3 cheap cord reels from Lowes work fine. They cost about $10 each, or so.

SW Pa
Are you talking about the reels that are used for extension cords ?

SW Pa

Made the same mistake. Reels are definitely the ticket for reuse!

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks guys

Yeah. I bought 3 of these. One for each strand (2 wires and 1 turbo tape). 1 acre fencing fit perfectly on 3 reels.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayco-150-ft-Plastic-Cord-Organizer/3129447

Tap, do you have a picture of your fence setup or easy description? I need to replicate it for this coming year. It would be greatly beneficial. Thanks.

I'm plainly talking like post here, wire here, tape here, etc. So a 3rd grader could understand it because I haven't set up any fencing to hold in domesticated animals except dogs.

I'm a rookie : - (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a link to the Gallagher site for it: https://gallagherelectricfencing.co...ncing/products/gallagher-1-acre-food-plot-kit

They have a video. They used to have a diagram. I didn't see it at first glance but it may still be around. You don't need to use their parts, but it is important to use turbo tape and turbo wire or the equivalent where called for. Wire heights and spacing between inner and outer is important.

Hope this helps,

Jack