Drones: Let's talk

Sorry it's been so long. My upload speed is pathetic so I finally got around to getting the video of our land on youtube. Tuesday I was up there having a guy mow some trails before the snow and I wanted to fly over and get some footage for him and myself. In the spring I will get a full flyover as this was my first flight with my 4k drone, and didn't want to risk anything dangerous at 20F.

That seems to be quite the machine he is mowing with!

I watched close, but couldn't see a deer in the footage, although I bet there was a few!

What kind of FPV do you have on the drone?

-John

That seems to be quite the machine he is mowing with!

I watched close, but couldn't see a deer in the footage, although I bet there was a few!

What kind of FPV do you have on the drone?

-John
Yeah its quite the mower! I told him I want him to be with me during the zombie apocalypse ha. I hope there are deer around, we just got 25 tons of sugar beets delivered for winter food. Give them a jump anf get some cheap fertilizer.

I'm not following on the FPV? If it's what I think you mean, the camera is 4k and it's the DJI phantom 3 professional, so the camera comes with the drone and syncs up to my phone for in flight viewing. I love it.

Yeah its quite the mower! I told him I want him to be with me during the zombie apocalypse ha. I hope there are deer around, we just got 25 tons of sugar beets delivered for winter food. Give them a jump anf get some cheap fertilizer.

I'm not following on the FPV? If it's what I think you mean, the camera is 4k and it's the DJI phantom 3 professional, so the camera comes with the drone and syncs up to my phone for in flight viewing. I love it.

Sorry - FPV is "First Person View"... I use a GoPro on my drone, and it has it's own wireless network that I can connect to with my phone. But the range is lousy. I would like to buy a better system to see the perspective while flying. The drone can cover a LOT of ground fast and it's hard to tell which way it's going at 1/2 a mile (as I'm sure you know).

-John

Oh I can relate. It's definitely a bonus having the screen to reference while flying. I really like that part of the setup. A lot of things look different in the air than what a person sees from the ground.

Cool video, looks like a fun toy.

So may I ask how much one of those cost ? I think starting next week a license is required for those if I read the article right ?

I paid 1150 and got a free battery for mine. saved a good amount on the package so I'm pleased with it. I think you're right. I haven't heard much about it except that they need to be registered.

How difficult are windy conditions for flying drones? I have read a little about them but have not seen any comments on adverse conditions and stability.

How difficult are windy conditions for flying drones? I have read a little about them but have not seen any comments on adverse conditions and stability.

The heavier the drone, the less the wind gets them, but any drone is hard to fly in much wind.

My drone has GPS stabilization, so it automatically fights back against the wind. I still can't effectively fly it in much wind. And it's scary :eek:

-John

The heavier the drone, the less the wind gets them, but any drone is hard to fly in much wind.

My drone has GPS stabilization, so it automatically fights back against the wind. I still can't effectively fly it in much wind. And it's scary :eek:

-John
So John do you have the same model ? Can a guy put one in the air during the week of gun hunting and check to see where his neighbors are hunting on their properties or is that illegal ?

I have the Turbo Ace Matrix, it appears to me slightly more "commercial". In that it can NOT handle being crashed and banged. It flies like a beast, but wouldn't fare well if it hit a tree.

I honestly wish I would have bought something more crash friendly :)

The drone would sure be capable of looking around for neighbors during gun season, but I'm not sure of the legality???

-John

Quite a while since this thread had activity, but as an update on drones in general I'll say I'm ABSOLUTELY amazed how much more friendly-flying newer ones are than some of the first to hit the consumer market. That, and the old saying you get what you pay for is somewhat true as well.

Few Christmas's ago I bought an entry level drone and I flew it ok on one or two attempts but others it seemed darn near impossible to fly... kind of felt like I was Luke training with Yoda in Star Wars and I could fly well only when COMPLETELY FOCUSING the force. :emoji_sweat_smile:

Week or so ago I coughed up enough to get a DJI Mavic Pro, and I'm extremely impressed. My mobile phone works with a handheld controller to control the unit / watch the flight as it happens. Taking off is as easy as sliding a visual bar on the phone where it goes straight up a few feet and hovers. It even shows me when it has a GPS lock and shows on a map where it has set the home point, and when set it will return to that exact point at a designated height (you set it so it avoids nearby trees) if it loses contact with the remote signal. When bringing it down for landing it stops at 3' above ground and waits for a bar slide command to slow and land on its own. It also has sensors that detect obstacles in front of it and they seem to work well when I've slowly tested them by approaching objects. Also should add I've taken it up in some CRAZY winds that really had me being nervous as I inched it up but it hardly flinched / video looked very stable though it did give me an alert that the conditions were windy. Warnings made me nervous enough to bring it down but it truly didn't flinch performance wise.

The initial "Beginner" mode limits height to only 99' and about the same for distance from the start point BUT you can even go in and change those settings as you gain flying comfort.

With probably about ONLY two hours (or less) of prior flying time using the old drone, I felt in COMPLETE control with the Mavic right out of the box.

Still learning bells and whistles, but in the few days I've owned it I've set it to auto-orbit single points, used the follow mode to automatically follow me walking, and flown it all over my property to make a land-tour video. Don't know when I'll find the time to edit the numerous clips I've recorded into a single overview video but second I do I'll post on the board! :emoji_thumbsup:

Son has a DJI Phantom Pro 4. The technology is AMAZING, and he is good at using it. 20? mph wind is not an issue with this one. To get close enough to a deer to see antlers causes them to run. Same with turkeys. Here is some video of him planting corn in a rye field - flying the drone himself while planting.

That is cool planting and doing the drone at the same time.

Ditto what Big Snow Man said and especially with the late evening footage!

Son has a DJI Phantom Pro 4. The technology is AMAZING, and he is good at using it. 20? mph wind is not an issue with this one. To get close enough to a deer to see antlers causes them to run. Same with turkeys. Here is some video of him planting corn in a rye field - flying the drone himself while planting.

I sure hope that tractor has auto-steer. I can hardly drive a tractor while planting. Much less a drone too!

Cool footage.

-John

flying the drone himself while planting.

And still planting in straight rows. I can't do that without a drone and trying to.

Yes, GPS controlled autosteer on the tractor. note at the end of this video the steering wheel is tilted up out of the way. Also shuts off individual planter units on point rows. Farming has gone high tech.

One of the options on the drone is to tell it to lock on a target and follow it. Supposedly can go out 3 miles but that has to be pretty clear of obstructions. I've seen it loose connection a mile away down below timber height and the pucker factor engage. So far its always come home. I convinced him to at least put his name and phone number on it!

edit - as far as hunting, I see rather limited applications one could use a drone to actually help an active hunt. Maybe jump a deer out of a NWSG field, but you would be hard pressed to herd the deer where you wanted it to go. We certainly wouldn't do that. Its certainly nice to see a bird's eye view of your land. Here is a picture from the drone at one place I hunt that is under flood conditions:
s7bf3ei.png

Last edited:
Still haven't had time to edit clips together for a "virtual land tour" but did find an additional fun use for the drone -- measuring tree height.

I'd mentioned on another thread I've got an old hickory I suspected to be over 90'. For those familiar with the DJI interface using a mobile phone as a controller, the phone screen gives a readout of height so I used it to better measure the tree height and was able to peg it at 95'.

Kind of like how it gives a totally different view of the tree one can't get from the ground. Also got to see those top branches are pretty darn productive even as the tree has begun shedding some limbs in its old age.

Actually has me looking forward to using it to check acorn production as fall approaches.