Drones: Let's talk

well, for one, all my buddies want some imagery so that's a use. thinking about getting some use at the golf course. I've got a friend that wants some harvest footage as well. I think it serves a purpose. it's a toy no doubt, but it can offer value as well as joy flying it
You got one. I'd offer it up for a small fee or exchanged services. Not a bad tool to have at all. I'd get one, but I'm not well networked up north by the land, or down here where I live. My introvert lifestyle has got me down. Won't take many favors to recoup that cost and have a new toy.

As with any new gadget, some will use it improperly. Just as hiding baited sites from aircraft, night vision scope to poach, now silencers for weapons to hide poaching.

If I had one flying over me, they would be asked to stop, the cops would be called. If it continued, I'd shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pretty easy going but fly a drone 20 feet over my house repeatedly and it is coming down.

I am pretty easy going but fly a drone 20 feet over my house repeatedly and it is coming down.
Same here.

If it could be brought down with a shotgun, it was too close.

10ga. 3-1/2" Magnum #4 Buckshot 36" full choke barrel. It's more like swinging a small howitzer than shooting a shotgun!;):cool:

hope this shows up clearer for you guys. I was up at the farm dinking around tonight and recorded this. at my work computer it plays as 1080, I don't know if it will in the clip though? still gotta figure this thing out as far as the playback.

**will put new link once vid is done uploading

Have you ever crashed it? That's my biggest fear lol. How long would it take to learn to fly one? No RC experience at all.

If you want to know where the current FAA regulations are at, here is a good summary.

To stay out of trouble
  • Don't fly above 400'.
  • Don't fly at any elevation within 5 miles of an airport.
  • Don't fly around areas where VTOLs (helicopters) or any small commuter aircraft operate.
  • Keep your aircraft within visual range and under full control.
  • Don't fly over populated areas.
  • Don't record video or take photos in contexts where there is an "expectation of privacy."
  • Treat the air over private property as private property.
  • Follow the safely guidelines set forth by the AMA, even those that are not legally enforced.
  • Don't use your UAV for what the FAA might deem as a commercial purpose (not legal yet).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/features/are-quadcopters-legal?

But drones don't need to crash to cause a stir: In perhaps one of the most famous court cases involving the recreational use of a drone, the FAA fined Raphael Pirker $10,000 in 2011 for using a drone to film a promotional video for the University of Virginia. The FAA charged Pirker, the drone's pilot, with operating an aircraft without a license and reckless flying. Pirker fought the fine in court and won when a judge declared drones to be in a different category than a manned aircraft. For a few short months, in effect, drones weren't considered aircraft, and so the FAA couldn’t regulate them. Pirker’s victory was short-lived, however—in 2014, the National Board of Transportation overturned the judge’s verdict, defining any device used for flight as an aircraft, whether they be manned or unmanned.

If you want to see if you are within 5 miles of an airport, this site has a mapping tool. The small field airstrips do count, so be careful! http://canifly.dronesdaily.tv/

I checked and I am not able to fly on my home farm.

There is pending regulation that will allow those with a drone pilot license to fly in some restricted zones and sell footage commercially.

As far as WI, it is also illegal to use drones for hunting purposes and to use a drone as a means that would harass a hunter/fisherman. That statement is so vague that someone could be in stand and see one fly over at 200 feet while you are using it to just "scout" and call the sheriff.

Seems like a lot of real estate agents have been using drones to take aerial pics and videos. It looks like this article from this summer lists real estate as the most popular group getting permits, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aphy-agriculture-utility-inspection/30873647/ but with <4 permits issued in MN I wonder how many doing those videos or pictures are doing it legally.

Have you ever crashed it? That's my biggest fear lol. How long would it take to learn to fly one? No RC experience at all.

I thought I did once, my phone crashed and the drone was half mile away. luckily it's smart enough to land itself once the battery doesn't have enough juice. I recovered it using the flight log, and luckily it landed in reed canary, and didn't hit a tree (inches away). as far as learning how to fly, I never touched a remote before and I was zipping around with it in no time. super easy to fly, with zero prior experience required

Sorry it's been so long. My upload speed is pathetic so I finally got around to getting the video of our land on youtube. Tuesday I was up there having a guy mow some trails before the snow and I wanted to fly over and get some footage for him and myself. In the spring I will get a full flyover as this was my first flight with my 4k drone, and didn't want to risk anything dangerous at 20F.