All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormant Spray

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
Last year was my 1st with planting fruit trees. My ground is still frozen with plenty of snow in the UP so I have not started my spring work but I will be heading to camp next week. Is there some type of dormant spray I am supposed to be using before things warm up?

Dormant oil can be used or you can make your own (google DIY dormant oil). Use above 40degrees F. You don't want it to freeze on the tree.

All it is - is mineral oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RECIPE #1: 2 tablespoons of ultrafine canola oil and 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 gallon of water.

RECIPE #2: 2 tablespoons each of Castile soap and baking soda to 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide mixed in 1 gallon of water.

RECIPE #3: 1 gallon of mineral oil, 1 pound of an oil-based soap and 1/2 gallon of water to create a concentrate solution. Dilute this mixture before using with a rate of 1 percent concentrate mixture with 20 percent water.

SPRAY UNIL ALL LIMBS/BRANCHES ARE FULLY COVERED (DRIPPING).

What kind of a sprayer are you using? Approximately how much solution for a mature apple tree? My concern is that I have some really old apple trees that are in desperate need of dormant oil.....I did a significant amount of pruning this winter, there are many other pests that attacked my trees last year...

What kind of sprayer do you use for soaking / dripping 70 trees with dormant oil ?? My pump-up tank sprayer that I carry would need to be re-filled after every 3 trees !!!! I can see 2 days of non-stop spraying. Must we spend thousands for some sophisticated spraying equipment ??

RECIPE #1: 2 tablespoons of ultrafine canola oil and 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 gallon of water.

RECIPE #2: 2 tablespoons each of Castile soap and baking soda to 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide mixed in 1 gallon of water.

RECIPE #3: 1 gallon of mineral oil, 1 pound of an oil-based soap and 1/2 gallon of water to create a concentrate solution. Dilute this mixture before using with a rate of 1 percent concentrate mixture with 20 percent water.

SPRAY UNIL ALL LIMBS/BRANCHES ARE FULLY COVERED (DRIPPING).

I want to learn more. I have various fruit trees that I want to get fruit from that keep having problems. How often do I spray one of these mixes and is there a reason to choose one or alternate between them all? Thanks.