Dormant Clover

cornfedkiller

5 year old buck +
I have a small plot of clover that went dormant over the summer during the hot and dry conditions, so it looks kinda black and stemmy (and the buds are all dried up)..Now that we have been getting a little moisture and the temps are starting to cool down, will the clover naturally green up and start growing, or do I have to mow it to get it going again?

Not sure where you're located but it can depend on a number of factors: clover variety, age of the plot, average daily/nightly temperature, moisture, competing vegetation. Generally speaking I've found that once a dormant perennial clover stand gets some cooler nighttime temps and a adequate rain it wakes up again. I'm a Durana fan but other clovers may/may not be as resilient.

Back in 2012 we had a drought in IL and my clover looked completely fried. I thought there was no way this was going to make a comeback and I thought I would just have to replant it. By early fall, we finally got some rain and I couldn't believe how fast it came back. I'll try and find some pictures.