Disheartening

Flooding can be tough stuff to live with. We have annual flooding that is only getting worse.

In flood prone area we plant nuttal oaks. They can handle flooding plus start bearing at a relatively young age.

Another thing that works here is May Haw.Great for al sorts of wildlife including deer and makes a fantastic jelly as well. I've see flood water 10'+ over the top of them for over a month with no problems at all.

overcup and cherry bark are others that tolerate poorly drained bottomland

bill

Flooding can be tough stuff to live with. We have annual flooding that is only getting worse.

In flood prone area we plant nuttal oaks. They can handle flooding plus start bearing at a relatively young age.

Another thing that works here is May Haw.Great for al sorts of wildlife including deer and makes a fantastic jelly as well. I've see flood water 10'+ over the top of them for over a month with no problems at all.
I tried nuttall oaks here. They all died

Well dang, hope you find something.
We are planting about 16 acres of nuttall this fall in swampy areas . I'll report

I even contacted the state forester for my region and asked before I planted. He said I needed to get them from a supplier as close to us as possible which I couldn’t find one. He said while they were rated for our zone he questioned whether they would make it. So I tried some and the answer is no.

Bright spot. Planted 25 bare root button bush. They were in the ground maybe 30 days before the flood it. Ive lost 1
20190727_191602.jpg

Some of the pin oaks I wrote off as dead are still alive as well.

More flooding. Guess we will have to see how high the lake comes this time.