Moisture loving, shade tolerating grasses?

pinetag14

5 year old buck +
First, I'll give a quick synopsis of my property. It's almost entirely made up of mature timber on a flat river bottom that stays damp with some filtered sunlight making its way through. There is a wide variety of plant life (oaks, river birch, sycamore, elm, hickory, pine, cedar, spicebush, paw paws, & jap honeysuckle to name a few) and the soil is silty loam. Typically there is not a lot of standing water but this has been one of the wettest years on record for VA so there has been a fair amount since the season started this year, but that does not seem to be the norm.

So, what I'm looking to do this winter/spring is hinge cut small pockets located toward the center of the property and then seed some tall grasses in and around those pockets. I need something that can tolerate these conditions and unfortunately many of the NWSG's are more conducive to open prairie type settings. In doing some research, here is what I came up with as the best possible options. Please share your experiences with these as well as any other recommendations you might have.
1. Indiangrass - tolerant of both moisture and partial shade but a little on the short side. 3-6' in height
2. River bank wild rye - tolerant of both and provides seeds for food, also a little on the short side. 3-6' in height
3. Big bluestem - tolerant of moisture but requires full sun. 4-10' in height
4. Kanlow switchgrass - tolerant of moisture but requires full sun. 3-7' in height
5. River oats - tolerant of both but super expensive and short. 2-4' in height
6. Swamp milkweed - tolerant of both but super expensive. 4-5' in height

Anyyone have experience with this type of situation or have suggestions/input? I'm willing to experiment but I just don't want everything to be a total failure because none of these grasses are conducive to my habitat. I want to go with a variety cause I'm sure some will end up working better than others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I suggest that you give Roundstone Native Seeds a call and talk with them. They would have a solution if anyone would, and they are good to talk with on the phone.

PS: My Indian Grass grows taller than 6 feet and it came from Roundstone.

Make a gap to let sun in and nature will do the rest. No need to plant anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest that you give Roundstone Native Seeds a call and talk with them. They would have a solution if anyone would, and they are good to talk with on the phone.

PS: My Indian Grass grows taller than 6 feet and it came from Roundstone.

Thanks Native. Actually, Roundstone has been my go to site for getting info and i am building an order in the cart of things I want. I will give them a call.

Make a gap to let sun in and nature will do the rest. No need to plant anything.

I will be doing a lot of cutting as well!

Whatever you do, DO NOT PLANT REED CANARY GRASS.
I likely already have some reed grasses growing, I'm just not sure what types. I believe some sedges and rush grasses too, but most everything only grows to about knee height.

I discovered that although this is not a grass...Japanese Millet might be something to give a try for a couple years as my grasses are getting established. Tolerates wet and flooding very well and it would provide cover and food at the same time. I know it's very popular with duck hunters but does anybody have any experience with it as far as deer usage? Web searches indicate deer will eat the seed heads.

While it is a grass (annual, not perennial) I don’t think Japanese millet will be tall/thick enough for what you are wanting to do. Seems to break down pretty quickly in the cold too.

I plant jap millet every year. Deer dont use it but the birds love it.

Prairie Cordgrass perhaps?

While it is a grass (annual, not perennial) I don’t think Japanese millet will be tall/thick enough for what you are wanting to do. Seems to break down pretty quickly in the cold too.

Sorry, I assumed it was more like corn and fell into some sort of grain crop category as opposed to a grass. I just need something that will work as a cover crop in conjunction with the perennial grasses as they get established those first couple of years. I am planning to do this on the outskirts of some hinge cuts as a sort of feathered edge, so it doesn't need to be as tall as a screening plant like MG. Just something that will provide some additional cover at ground level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Corn and milo are both grasses. Heck, bamboo is even a grass- and natives tend to tolerate shade and moist sites. It’s not commercially available but you can start native river canes from rhizomes. They’ll live 20+ years so that might be a long term option too.

As far as something the deer will eat until permanent cover establishes, they don’t prefer the leaves of any grasses except the cool season grains (wheat, rye, oats).