Dibble or Shovel?

I have planted close to 1000 trees with a dibble. I think I'm over it, it sets the roots back a lot. I have also seen the slit open up in dry weather.

Going forward, if I ordered too many bare root trees to plant at once I would pot them up in old milk cartons or the ones from stuewe, then plant a couple at a time throughout the summer.

Also will never plant another tree without a plan for weed control and protection from deer. Norway spruce are one of the few trees that seem to do ok in old pastures and deer leave them alone. I am surrounded by old norway spruce plantations and I think it was a big mistake the CCC planted those instead of native hardwoods.

well I am lucky I own a skid steer and picked up a stiff arm backhoe for 400 bucks last yr

I imagine they can be rented, too, or even a skid steer with a auger

OR maybe better yet, rent a walk behind mini skid steer with a auger
a 100 holes in rocky soil can grow REAL old REAL fast
the 200 bucks or so for a day's rental, will be money well spent IMO
for something like this
they can get into pretty tight places too

if not, many Large chain home depot like stores RENT things from towable backhoes, and augers
and prices ain;t as bad as you think
https://www.homedepot.com/c/large_equipment_rental#earthmoving-equipment
or

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Towable-Hydraulic-Auger/HD99-H/index.html

I have a lot of back issue's digging anymore with a manual shovel are out, so I have looked at many other options over the yrs
these above get my vote!
faster, easier on body!! and if real rocky, maybe the only way to get done without a lot of cursing and getting disgusted!

Food for thought maybe for you!

I used something like that Toro Dingo when I planted my apple orchard. With a 24" bit, it made quick work. I can't remember what I paid to rent it for the weekend back in 2015. Only issue I had was the one track trying to walk off the wheels but a couple youtube videos and it was back on and adjusted properly.