Deer have disappeared

I had 3 yearling bucks (one may have been 2.5) eating brassicas and winter rye about 50 yards from the house this a.m. Plenty of acorns dropping around here, but they still like green stuff too.

Yep even though they hammer on acorns when they drop they still eat green stuff if it is available.

Absolutely still hit the greens. Here at least - the acorns become the " go to first " feed, but usually the deer come out after dark to hit the apples and clover, chicory, etc. I think because of the pressure deer see in Pa., they stay in the cover of woods and hit the acorns first, then come into the more open plots and orchards in dusk / dim light or darkness. In my experience, years that have good apple crops, deer come running - literally - to pick up the drops first. Then they hit the plots for some quick greens, then head back into the woods to gorge on acorns. The time spent in the open is fairly short. If you're bow hunting in the evening, sometimes the window of opportunity is brief in those heavy-apple years.

Our 1 - acre field of soybeans is still getting nipped off regularly. A few acorns starting to drop, but clover, chicory, and beans still the hot tickets at camp.

I've seen this every year I've owned my property and see the question on forums every year.

The deer and bear are around but, they're in the oaks cleaning up the early dropping whites and reds. They'll be back in a few weeks to hit the food plots and apples then will hit the oaks again for the late droppers.

Which reminds me the reason why I saw a doe and two fawns in our local cemetery one morning last week. There's some big old white oaks there. Got to head there this morning.
That would work out really well for us. I hope you're right. Our fall plots are off to a good start, and could use a couple weeks off to take up nitrogen and soak in heat. All the planets are aligning for us right now. If the deer stay off till 9/15, we could have some forage left by rifle opener.

I noticed less activity this week but no acorns here. What I noticed on the couple pics I got was the deer have added their winter coats. It has also been above average temp wise so maybe they are not moving as they adjust to their new coats. Just a guess.

i'm starting to see a shift as well, in the last 10 days or so. no acorns to speak of in my area, but when i lived/hunted in an area with lots of oaks i definitely saw a shift related to acorns droppings.

In my area the shift i'm seeing now is that my plot is becoming more attractive relative to the surrounding area's food sources. lots of the native vegetation is at a growth stage that is not as pallatable, soybeans are yellowing, alfalfa fields are about to get cut one last time and are pretty stemmy, or are being cut now and the fields havent bounced back yet...and apples are starting to drop. I am also getting more bucks on camera now, because the bachelor groups are responding to the change in food sources. My plot has good green groceries and at the top of the hill on my neighbor's is an old, secluded, overgrown apple orchard that is loaded.

I would definitely say you are experiencing one of the food source shifts. if you can ID the food source/s responsible for the shift, you may be able to ID a missing link in your habitat plan (if those food sources arent on your property) or you can file it away and plot out a new low impact camera location to utilize in future years....even better if you know how to anticipate the shift and get the cams hung ahead of time to minimize disturbance.

This discussion reminded me of a buddy down in Louisiana. Something he has done for nearly all of his hunting career is keep meticulous notes of every outing. He records date, time of hunt, moon, weather details, etc but also makes notes on every food source. With oaks he knows which trees are preferred and in what order, drop times etc. The more years you keep good records the better you can refine your hunting and reduce scouting pressure.

Bear season opens tomorrow morning. In some years the bears have made a sudden shift from bait to acorns.

Bear season opens tomorrow morning. In some years the bears have made a sudden shift from bait to acorns.
Had It happen to me a few years ago. Bears were hitting daily for two weeks before season. Then after one day of steady 30-35 mph winds nocked a lot of natural foods to the ground, they dissappeared for two weeks. Can't compete with Mother Nature!!!

Had It happen to me a few years ago. Bears were hitting daily for two weeks before season. Then after one day of steady 30-35 mph winds nocked a lot of natural foods to the ground, they dissappeared for two weeks. Can't compete with Mother Nature!!!
Walk the oaks and shoot one!

Hearing the same from my brother. He and another guy are up north right now baiting and haven't had a picture in 3 days.

In my college days, my room mate had his baits go dead over by Grand Rapids (mn.). He started hunting the oaks and we had bear meat to eat that winter!

I had 3 yearling bucks (one may have been 2.5) eating brassicas and winter rye about 50 yards from the house this a.m. Plenty of acorns dropping around here, but they still like green stuff too.
I checked my camera I use for security and I had a 2.5 yr old 8 pt. right next to the picnic table during daylight. He either liked the smell of ribs or he was having at all the acorns from my big red oak. Pretty brave deer nonetheless.

I checked my camera I use for security and I had a 2.5 yr old 8 pt. right next to the picnic table during daylight. He either liked the smell of ribs or he was having at all the acorns from my big red oak. Pretty brave deer nonetheless.

I would get Brooks to come back and sit in that same spot for a few hours. Or maybe sit a case of beer (Bud Light?) for Brooks by your favorite stand. The stand might be hot for the whole season.
I would not bother to watch his dance. I hear it ain't worth it.:D

I also had three neighbor dogs show up as well and these dogs killed a fawn last year so I didn't hesitate and called the CO. She was mad that I didn't call last year as she was putting a case together against the owners of the dogs that killed the fawn, apparently she didn't know it was these three dogs. I warned the owners last year and they obviously don't care cause they told me to shoot them. Now they will be getting fined every time I get a picture on my property of them.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
The conservation officer will be taking new information from the neighbor down the road that witnessed these dogs chase down and kill a fawn in front of his house. The officer tried to keep the fawn alive but it died in her arms. Nobody recognized who the owner was until I presented pictures to my other neighbor because these people recently moved in. This info never made it back to the officer until now. She will present them with a warning and due to the history of these dogs she said any further evidence of these dogs roaming the area will involve a ticket. As far as whether the laws justify this Dipper, I don't care. Not my responsibility to shoot these dogs as the owner has requested unless I see them in pursuit of deer. I and several other neighbors have chosen to not tolerate these dogs roaming our properties and that's why enforcement was called.

In MN, it used to be dogs can only be shot between Jan 1st and June 1st while chasing deer, not during the hunting season if running through your woods or on your property. I know for sure you can shoot them anytime if they are doing damage to livestock. I have, and called the LEO after all the wifes chickens were killed by 2 dogs. He had to break the news to my neighbor he won't need to buy dog food anymore!

Hope they don't kill one of Riggs chickens. They were friendly little buggers when I visited his place.

Shooting dogs isn't on my list of enjoyable things to do, I prefer owners take responsibility and keep their dogs in a kennel if they can't keep track of them. If I catch a dog killing a deer on my place it will go softly into the darkness though.

Shooting dogs isn't on my list of enjoyable things to do, I prefer owners take responsibility and keep their dogs in a kennel if they can't keep track of them. If I catch a dog killing a deer on my place it will go softly into the darkness though.

Hahahahahahahahaha! Ya right!