Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I highly highly doubt it’s the spot. my first camera is 50 yards away and it’s really flat ground.
I have a repeater on a shooting house that is 30yds from camera on a food plot. Camera had a 99 signal linked to Repeater and the camera fell to 10. Repeater fell from 30 to 10. It’s a fragile signal that’s for sure.

The witching hour!
94ABFD34-1337-4F08-9C89-53E8F85E2751.png80770043-A6D4-49AA-B560-19702263F1EA.png

Curious to know: if your home camera takes a few pictures but you take out the SD card to erase those pictures before the time it is to transmit the pictures will the camera still send any pictures or not?

Wanting to love this system, but really disappointed so far. I'm going to take a third stab at this because I cant imagine I am the only one with this issue.

Error 04

Back story - one J series purchased from Cabelas, one G from a website, and another G from a completely different website. All 3 report to a K series purchased from Cabelas as well. I have consistently received this error 04 on all three cameras at random times, even with new batteries (duracell or energizer max). As support has suggested, I have removed the batteries for 30 minutes let the capacitors discharge, then replaced the batteries. This works, but only for so long. Sometimes we'll get a week out of it, maybe only a day. The J series has now cleared 004, but as soon as the batteries are replaced, we can't get past "Error 03" I already have tickets open to send all 3 cameras in, but c'mon it's the 8th of November. We've been fighting these cameras all of October, and would rather send them in after the season. Support says 004 is a battery issue, but we've tried every brand, neew, alkaline only. Has no one else had this issue?

Wanting to love this system, but really disappointed so far. I'm going to take a third stab at this because I cant imagine I am the only one with this issue.

Error 04

Back story - one J series purchased from Cabelas, one G from a website, and another G from a completely different website. All 3 report to a K series purchased from Cabelas as well. I have consistently received this error 04 on all three cameras at random times, even with new batteries (duracell or energizer max). As support has suggested, I have removed the batteries for 30 minutes let the capacitors discharge, then replaced the batteries. This works, but only for so long. Sometimes we'll get a week out of it, maybe only a day. The J series has now cleared 004, but as soon as the batteries are replaced, we can't get past "Error 03" I already have tickets open to send all 3 cameras in, but c'mon it's the 8th of November. We've been fighting these cameras all of October, and would rather send them in after the season. Support says 004 is a battery issue, but we've tried every brand, neew, alkaline only. Has no one else had this issue?
Have you updated firmware? I would re-download firmware to a new card, then update to all camera’s. The very same issues with more than one camera would be rare. Have you checked battery voltages?

Curious to know: if your home camera takes a few pictures but you take out the SD card to erase those pictures before the time it is to transmit the pictures will the camera still send any pictures or not?
My remote will. I’m thinking the transmit queue may be internal and not on SD card, but not sure.

My remote will. I’m thinking the transmit queue may be internal and not on SD card, but not sure.
So as long as a picture is taken, it will transmit no matter what happens to the SD card?

So as long as a picture is taken, it will transmit no matter what happens to the SD card?
I’m pretty sure home works similar to remote. But... if your transmit queue is full and it takes another picture it will overwrite your oldest picture. So if your queue is set at 10 & cannot send for whatever reason, it will then start overwriting your oldest picture. All the pics will be on card but your queue will only hold 10 (or whatever your setting) of your last pictures.

I pretty sure it will work without a SD card altogether with limited memory capacity. Not sure what will happen if card is damaged. I think it will stop when SD card or memory is full.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure home works similar to remote. But... if your transmit queue is full and it takes another picture it will overwrite your oldest picture. So if your queue is set at 10 & cannot send for whatever reason, it will then start overwriting your oldest picture. All the pics will be on card but your queue will only hold 10 (or whatever your setting) of your last pictures.

I pretty sure it will work without a SD card altogether with limited memory capacity. Not sure what will happen if card is damaged. I think it will stop when SD card or memory is full.
I have the camera set up not only to capture deer but also as a little security from neighbors we suspect coming over. So, I wanted to make sure they can't simply erase pictures from the SD card as that has happened on traditional cameras to cover their trespassing.

I have the camera set up not only to capture deer but also as a little security from neighbors we suspect coming over. So, I wanted to make sure they can't simply erase pictures from the SD card as that has happened on traditional cameras to cover their trespassing.
LMAO.. the things we have to do to hunt...Actually, all they have to do is under Cell Menu is "CC Clear" and that clears the the Transmit Queue and that will erase everything that is programmed to transmit. So you cannot depend on that. But they would have to be well versed in Cuddelink operation or they will be lost as a goose as how to erase queue.

Have you updated firmware? I would re-download firmware to a new card, then update to all camera’s. The very same issues with more than one camera would be rare. Have you checked battery voltages?

All 3 cameras were bought at different times. So firmware was downloaded at separate times, to separate SD cards. All cameras have been on 7.7 since it's release. I will try re-flasing the firmware.

All 3 cameras were bought at different times. So firmware was downloaded at separate times, to separate SD cards. All cameras have been on 7.7 since it's release. I will try re-flasing the firmware.
Just thought it would be worth a try. Look at BL on your Metadata on last picture. This will at least tell you your battery voltage right before it failed. One, if not both codes may be related to low voltage, whether or not it is related to batteries or not. May be a failure in the circuit. Reviewing BL might at least show if batteries are being drained for for some reason. One other thought, change SD card brands or type. I don’t think SDXC type is compatible.

Last edited:
Just thought it would be worth a try. Look at BL on your Metadata on last picture. This will at least tell you your battery voltage right before it failed. One, if not both codes may be related to low voltage, whether or not it is related to batteries or not. May be a failure in the circuit. Reviewing BL might at least show if batteries are being drained for for some reason. One other thought, change SD card brands or type. I don’t think SDXC type is compatible.

I have a K that just dropped offline yesterday. My brother brought it home tonight and it had error 04 on it. It has 7.7 firmware on it, running on a dual power bank filled with alkalines in both banks. No batteries internally. Last pic from it had a BL of 6964, BS was Ext-1. I realize that’s pretty low voltage but I assumed it should have switched to the other bank if it was too low and was time to switch to the second bank. Thoughts? At what voltage have others seen their cams die at?

Okay here is a new one. I have a repeater 12 ft high on a shooting house 30 yds from a remote. For awhile the remote (signal of 99) had 3 links through the repeater (40+ signal) and it had 2 links. Now, the camera (14 signal) has 2 links and the repeater (2 signal) has 3 links. It's like it's linking bass-ackwards. But either way, as close as they are there should be a 99 signal one way or the other.

Another thing I cannot grasp, is how can another remote that has a 99 signal and 80 yards from my home camera, that is elevated 15 feet on a shooting house and has excellent cell signal, backlog pictures? Granted I get a lot of pictures, but how can 30 minutes to an hour+ pass and this remote cannot transmit 10 pictures (my CC Rate) to the home camera, when there are definitely pictures in the queue.

I have a K that just dropped offline yesterday. My brother brought it home tonight and it had error 04 on it. It has 7.7 firmware on it, running on a dual power bank filled with alkalines in both banks. No batteries internally. Last pic from it had a BL of 6964, BS was Ext-1. I realize that’s pretty low voltage but I assumed it should have switched to the other bank if it was too low and was time to switch to the second bank. Thoughts? At what voltage have others seen their cams die at?
1.1v per battery cell will be pretty close to dead. It will vary just a little bit according to flash and other things. I have read where some make it to .9v/cell. But I bet that is rare. Were both of your banks dead?

Read post #3280 on page 164.

1.1v per battery cell will be pretty close to dead. It will vary just a little bit according to flash and other things. I have read where some make it to .9v/cell. But I bet that is rare. Were both of your banks dead?

Read post #3280 on page 164.
Got it.

My brother only brought the K cam back not the dual power bank. I’m going to check it out when I’m out there hunting on Tuesday.

I ran on 6 internals from 7/29 till 10/25 when I got the dual power banks. Then I put those 6 internals into bank one to finish them off and 6 new and tested good batteries into bank two so something doesn’t add up. It should have just switched to bank 2.

Man... after re-reading my comment, it did come out very condescending, which is against my nature and I do most humbly apologize for that.

Actually, "is it worth the $$" is a very good thought provoking question. Deer hunting in general is definitely an expensive hobby around my area. Trail camera's have become a passion (almost addictive) for some more than hunting. I also own a boat and a fish camp and umpteen rods and reels. My boat is by far a bigger money eater and frustrating than my deer hunting. But in all honesty, if a person does not like analyzing and troubleshooting trailcam's, especially cell models (all makes & models), they will soon grow frustrated and probably won't be worth it to them. But I just bought another $280 camera, so it is either worth it to me or I am a glutton for punishment or either I am addicted. lol

Apologies again, hope to see you join the addiction!

Just came back to check the thread. No worries at all. Thanks man. I've been around enough on other forums and here and on the old QDMA forum to know that my question was definitely going to come off as lazy. This system tends to get only lukewarm reviews online...poor customer service, low battery life, slow, unreliable, good idea but poorly executed. Things like that, and I was curious as to what you guys were saying; the guys who are using them and investing the time. And yeah, I got lazy. Didn't feel like reading the entire thread.

Really curious about this system...the pros, the cons, the cost to benefit ratio, the problems guys are having....or lack thereof. I run 6 to 8 $150 to $175 cameras. Happy with them and very reliable. And I do enjoy getting boots on the ground in a soft rain to check cards. But my place is primarily great doe and young buck habitat. The big bucks begin showing up around mid November and my place is hot for a 6 to 7 day window every year. It would be nice to get some real time info about that without having to get out and check cameras and disturb my place.

I'll stayed tuned and maybe if I get a few snowy mornings I'll go back and skim through some of the content over my morning coffee.

Thanks again.

The price you pay depends on the number of cameras use choose to put in your network. I ran a 5 camera network this fall. It consisted of 4 - J1415 and one K5789. The only modification I did was to replace the AA battery housing with the D battery housing. (Which I think Cuddeback should offer as original equipment.) I placed this system on property 9 hrs. from home and it worked flawlessly. I read these pages and followed the recommendations for setting the cameras up. They operated 70+ days and never had a problem when I pulled them.
From my following there have been two major problems that being the battery problem and a glitch that the cameras will start taking pictures every minute or two with no subject to trigger. They continue doing this until card fills up or battery dies. These problems from my thoughts have all been in the G series cameras, which by the way are the more expensive. My total investment was less than $1200.

Thanks for your thoughts TRLBzr3.

all, im back from my annual time off , ill try to run thru the thread and answer any questions that were missed. I hope you are all in the woods surrounded by bucks right now.
I do have another Cuddelink buck kill story ill share and i also want everyone on here to know about a special deal coming up that some of you may want to take advantage of.

Okay here is a new one. I have a repeater 12 ft high on a shooting house 30 yds from a remote. For awhile the remote (signal of 99) had 3 links through the repeater (40+ signal) and it had 2 links. Now, the camera (14 signal) has 2 links and the repeater (2 signal) has 3 links. It's like it's linking bass-ackwards. But either way, as close as they are there should be a 99 signal one way or the other.

Another thing I cannot grasp, is how can another remote that has a 99 signal and 80 yards from my home camera, that is elevated 15 feet on a shooting house and has excellent cell signal, backlog pictures? Granted I get a lot of pictures, but how can 30 minutes to an hour+ pass and this remote cannot transmit 10 pictures (my CC Rate) to the home camera, when there are definitely pictures in the queue.
Unless im not reading your question correctly , CC rate doesnt have anything to do with your remote cameras images getting to the home.
Imagine your cuddelink network as a highway only so many cars(images) fit not he highway at once, they cant be on top of each other.. the most it can handle in ideal conditions is 1000 images per day and 30K per month. (this will increase with the next big firmware update.) IF other remotes/ cameras are all trying to send at the same time it takes some time for the system to catch up. the system is constantly trying to find the most efficient way to get images home which i s why link# can change form day to day or hour to hour.