All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I have the home unit indoors so I am able to power it with a standard wall plug - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXFM5NP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also followed the post about using the WiFi enabled SD card and have that set up and working now too. Next step is to sync the card with a folder in OneDrive so I can view the pictures on the card via OneDrive from anywhere.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread for quite a while. There's a lot of knowledge about Cuddelink in here. I've been using Cuddelink for about a year now and have had some of the same headaches a lot of others have had, mainly battery life. I started with a 4 pack of J series and was extremely disappointed with battery life. I knew going in that Cuddeback had said to expect reduced life compared to a normal trailcam but I was thinking maybe 4-5 months compared to the year I was getting with Stealthcam. With the J's and alkaline 2-3 weeks was all i could manage so I switched to lithium and doubled it. This was before the solar was available so I butchered my HME solar chargers with 12v battery. I quickly found out that A) these cameras were 9v and B) a backup like I was using doesn't supplement the batteries in the camera but unlike a G series it charges the batteries. This attempt fried 2 cameras. When the Cuddeback solar chargers came out I jumped on them and thought my problems were solved. The 1st problem was the Tenergy batteries had 1-2 bad batteries in all 4 of the solar kits I bought so I bought Rayovac rechargeables and found that the cameras I had on the field edge getting sunlight most of the day would run forever and the cameras in the woods getting little light would last about 45 days. I then ditched the Cuddeback solar system and bought larger panels, 12v batteries, 9v regulators and wired everything up. I managed the same on the field edges and got a max of 90 days under cover in the woods. Not bad. I then sold all my J series and solar panels and bought G series. I love that double barrel strobe. I eventually ditched the solar panels and now just run 12v batteries as backup with 6v regulators although I ran 3 months at 9v with 0 issues with the G series. My thoughts on Cuddelink is it's a game changer if you know going in what to expect. Don't expect year long battery life. I see they are coming out with some other options to improve battery life. I'll probably pass on this. It's much to easy to wire up a 12v battery with a regulator or just use a 6v battery. You can easily fit 2 12v batteries wired in tandem with a regulator in a plastic ammo box and run a long time. I look forward to reading more comments.

Here is my solar setup. I am using the J series camera. All the credit goes to the handy hunter on YouTube:

12v Rechargable Battery - https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-2000...s/dp/B077Y9HNTF/ref=sr_1_20_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=

Plastic Junction Box (and cover) - https://www.lowes.com/pd/CANTEX-3-4-in-PVC-Conduit-Body/3276293 / https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-Ta...tic-Weatherproof-Electrical-Box-Cover/3773447

Camera Cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGLWWJN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5.5x2.1mm Female Jack to 4.0x1.7mm (to fit the camera plug) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D49WQ7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 Volt Regulator (**Make sure to test to ensure they are regulating the voltage and get the correct voltage for your camera**) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092CRNF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solar Panel - https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-62449.html

My wife's uncle made the bracket to mount the solar panel and electrical box to. I am going to get a crash course in welding and will try to make these myself next time.

I also put 12 Energizer Rechargables in the camera - https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rechargeable-batteries-NiMH-2300/dp/B01C7U4E1Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3F0BVH90I0M1A&keywords=energizer+rechargeable+aa&qid=1553356501&s=electronics&sprefix=energis,electronics,988&sr=1-4

Thanks HB Hunter

Anyone heard on when the update will be for the cuddelink home plus usb connection just curious

I've been following this thread for quite a while. There's a lot of knowledge about Cuddelink in here. I've been using Cuddelink for about a year now and have had some of the same headaches a lot of others have had, mainly battery life. I started with a 4 pack of J series and was extremely disappointed with battery life. I knew going in that Cuddeback had said to expect reduced life compared to a normal trailcam but I was thinking maybe 4-5 months compared to the year I was getting with Stealthcam. With the J's and alkaline 2-3 weeks was all i could manage so I switched to lithium and doubled it. This was before the solar was available so I butchered my HME solar chargers with 12v battery. I quickly found out that A) these cameras were 9v and B) a backup like I was using doesn't supplement the batteries in the camera but unlike a G series it charges the batteries. This attempt fried 2 cameras. When the Cuddeback solar chargers came out I jumped on them and thought my problems were solved. The 1st problem was the Tenergy batteries had 1-2 bad batteries in all 4 of the solar kits I bought so I bought Rayovac rechargeables and found that the cameras I had on the field edge getting sunlight most of the day would run forever and the cameras in the woods getting little light would last about 45 days. I then ditched the Cuddeback solar system and bought larger panels, 12v batteries, 9v regulators and wired everything up. I managed the same on the field edges and got a max of 90 days under cover in the woods. Not bad. I then sold all my J series and solar panels and bought G series. I love that double barrel strobe. I eventually ditched the solar panels and now just run 12v batteries as backup with 6v regulators although I ran 3 months at 9v with 0 issues with the G series. My thoughts on Cuddelink is it's a game changer if you know going in what to expect. Don't expect year long battery life. I see they are coming out with some other options to improve battery life. I'll probably pass on this. It's much to easy to wire up a 12v battery with a regulator or just use a 6v battery. You can easily fit 2 12v batteries wired in tandem with a regulator in a plastic ammo box and run a long time. I look forward to reading more comments.

That's some solid info. What specific brand/type of 12v batteries do you run and which 6v regulator? I may give it a try and compare with my other setups.

Anyone heard on when the update will be for the cuddelink home plus usb connection just curious

Last I read it’s planned for sometime in 2019. Saw that in this thread and in the manual that came with mine.

It's much to easy to wire up a 12v battery with a regulator or just use a 6v battery. You can easily fit 2 12v batteries wired in tandem with a regulator in a plastic ammo box and run a long time. I look forward to reading more comments.

Can you share details on this?

I’m in testing mode now and would like to get a solid setup running prior to deer season.

When you say you fried two J-series cameras, was that due to running 12Vdc (unregulated) into the solar charging ports?

Anyone else tried running 12Vdc directly into these cameras?...what was the result?

The G-series will to run on either 6Vdc or 9Vdc so I wonder if they are really stepping down the 9Vdc external and only using 6Vdc to run internally??? If this is the case, perhaps the internal regulator can also step down a 12Vdc input? This would be great since if we start with a 12Vdc external, step it down externally to 9Vdc (so the report will tell you when it is dead) and then the camera internally steps it down again to 6Vdc we have lost lots of battery runtime to heat/waste from the regulators doing there thing.

On a different note, running a 6Vdc external seems to be way more efficient (no regulator), but then you loose the notification on the reports that tells you your external is dead.

The batteries I've been using are Expert Power 12v 7ah off Amazon for around $12 a battery. I think the local Tractor Supply store sells an equivalent for the same or cheaper. 12v to 6v regulators can be found on Amazon also. I bought them for $4 each. Cuddeback sells a cable for the G series cameras that I use for the plug but I think any 4.0x1.7 connector will work. Just wire the regulator to the battery and then out from the regulator to the camera. I put everything in cheap plastic ammo boxes and camo paint them. This is the regulator off Amazon and they also have a 12v to 9v if you use J series cameras. I'll take a picture of everything wired when I'm home.

Attachments

• 61zcp6lHHkL__SL1100_.jpg
    61zcp6lHHkL__SL1100_.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 26
The batteries I've been using are Expert Power 12v 7ah off Amazon for around $12 a battery. I think the local Tractor Supply store sells an equivalent for the same or cheaper. 12v to 6v regulators can be found on Amazon also. I bought them for $4 each. Cuddeback sells a cable for the G series cameras that I use for the plug but I think any 4.0x1.7 connector will work. Just wire the regulator to the battery and then out from the regulator to the camera. I put everything in cheap plastic ammo boxes and camo paint them. This is the regulator off Amazon and they also have a 12v to 9v if you use J series cameras. I'll take a picture of everything wired when I'm home.

Super informative. I plan to try one of these over summer and log battery usage.

Currently I am running 5 Cuddelink Solar rigs into J1415 cameras and they are showing 50 days so far with no battery issues. However, I only have them on the edge of fields and I'm guessing battery consumption will be much faster once leaf foliage kicks in during spring green up.

just as an FYI to those that either are exploring and/or building their own external power systems , the Dual Power Bank that will be launched later this year will retail for $40, it has two banks one of which will allow for solar charging , it will take D batteries and there is no danger of unregulated power damaging your camera. Estimates are that it should power a camera for 6-9 months in virtually any condition and possibly year or even more when using solar in the correct scenario. The status report will recognize each power bank and you will know where they stand on the report. There is also testing being done towards other battery systems that include sealed rechargeable batteries but that is a ways off before it will come to market (likely a year or more). We are always looking at ways to improve, but want to test and make sure everything is correct, pricing makes sense and its user friendly before bringing it to market.
That said, if you have the knowledge , desire and confidence to build your own system im not discouraging that but want everyone to know that if a camera is damaged by doing so it wont be warrantied. Its fairly easy for the techs to determine what the cause was.

When you say you fried two J-series cameras, was that due to running 12Vdc (unregulated) into the solar charging ports?

Anyone else tried running 12Vdc directly into these cameras?...what was the result?

The G-series will to run on either 6Vdc or 9Vdc so I wonder if they are really stepping down the 9Vdc external and only using 6Vdc to run internally??? If this is the case, perhaps the internal regulator can also step down a 12Vdc input? This would be great since if we start with a 12Vdc external, step it down externally to 9Vdc (so the report will tell you when it is dead) and then the camera internally steps it down again to 6Vdc we have lost lots of battery runtime to heat/waste from the regulators doing there thing.

On a different note, running a 6Vdc external seems to be way more efficient (no regulator), but then you loose the notification on the reports that tells you your external is dead.
This was 12v directly in to the charging port but I had alkaline batteries in it. This was right after the cameras came out and I was trying to get more life out of them. It wasn't until later when the D cell power pack was released that I realized the AA pack just unscrewed from the cameras and all I really did was blew up the batteries and probably didn't harm the cameras. I had also tried 12v with rechargeable batteries in the camera and they would run a week or so then they would say BATTERY and the red LED would flash.
With my G series I ran 12v regulated to 9v directly to them for months without issues but finally went to a 6v regulator just to be on the safe side but will probably just switch to 6v external batteries this year.
I'm in no way bashing what Cuddeback is doing to help with battery life I just don't want to spend the money on 10 D cells per camera when I have 5 cameras. Bigger rechargeable batteries work best for me. When they finally go dead I still have the 4 D cells in the camera that only have to run for a day while I charge the batteries.

I'm in no way bashing what Cuddeback is doing to help with battery life I just don't want to spend the money on 10 D cells per camera when I have 5 cameras. Bigger rechargeable batteries work best for me. When they finally go dead I still have the 4 D cells in the camera that only have to run for a day while I charge the batteries.

This is where I'm at. I have about $100 in the solar setups including the cost of 12 energizer rechargeables. I think this is the best solution in a spot that will get a decent amount of sunlight (might change my mind as I continue to test). In my timber spots, I think the battery box is going to be the best solution. Looks like I can get it built for $40 - $50 and keep a charged 12v on hand to swap when the one in the box gets low.

What kind of battery life are you getting out of the big 12v rechargeable batteries?

Last edited:
My OneDrive sync is up and running. I have never had a cell cam so the concept of getting pictures in near real time is new to me. It is awesome :). I never run more than 5 or 6 cams during deer season because it takes so long to pull cards/change batteries. I also try to get them in spots that aren't intrusive to minimize my impact. I feel like this limits the number of pictures I get during the season. This won't be as much of a concern anymore.

I should be able to put these cams in the best spots and hopefully never have to visit them during the season. This technology should continue to improve as the other manufactures try to make something similar and competition enters the market. At the moment, these will be the only new trail cameras I will buy.

This is where I'm at. I have about $100 in the solar setups including the cost of 12 energizer rechargeables. I think this is the best solution in a spot that will get a decent amount of sunlight (might change my mind as I continue to test). In my timber spots, I think the battery box is going to be the best solution. Looks like I can get it built for $40 - $50 and keep a charged 12v on hand to swap when the one in the box gets low.

What kind of battery life are you getting out of the big 12v rechargeable batteries?
I never got a chance to test them completely but when I pulled them down after season I was over 90 days and still running on the 12v. My guess is well over 6 months between the 12v and the internal D cells. That's really all I need.
The solar panels worked great for me on field edges where they got direct sunlight all day. I never had a J series go dead this way. Once the leaves come out in the woods though there really was no difference between cameras with solar and cameras without. They would all last the same amount of time.

This is how I have all my G series set up. I set the ammo box on a piece of wood that has a bolt running through it. This sets on an eye lag screwed in to a tree as high as I can can reach. The eye lag allows me to pivot the battery box mount with the solar panel attached towards the sun. I can also pivot the solar panel up and down. The solar panel mount is just conduit I bolted together. The wiring goes from the solar panel to a plug and from the plug to the battery. Then out from the battery to a 6v regulator and from there out to the camera.
I ran the solar last year without much success unless it had good sun all day long. This year I won't use it at all or until all the leaves fall and the woods is getting good sun.

Attachments

• IMG_5616.jpg
    IMG_5616.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5619.jpg
    IMG_5619.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5620.jpg
    IMG_5620.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 67
My OneDrive sync is up and running. I have never had a cell cam so the concept of getting pictures in near real time is new to me. It is awesome :). I never run more than 5 or 6 cams during deer season because it takes so long to pull cards/change batteries. I also try to get them in spots that aren't intrusive to minimize my impact. I feel like this limits the number of pictures I get during the season. This won't be as much of a concern anymore.

I should be able to put these cams in the best spots and hopefully never have to visit them during the season. This technology should continue to improve as the other manufactures try to make something similar and competition enters the market. At the moment, these will be the only new trail cameras I will buy.
HB_Hunter........I remember reading the previous post (way back) on what parts to acquire to make the OneDrive Sync happen, but I never got around to trying it, yet! What brand of wifiSD card did you buy? How did you program it to sync via wifi to OneDrive? Does it do it in batches or one at a time? Any hints are much appreciated!!!

John or anyone, can we have details on K-5789? Looks like a lower price point cell cam on 4-Ds? Haven't seen too much on it yet.

John or anyone, can we have details on K-5789? Looks like a lower price point cell cam on 4-Ds? Haven't seen too much on it yet.
go to page 80 of this thread, post #1582 , i posted detail on the new items Dual cell . It takes 6 d's and will work with the dual power bank.