All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cracked disc blades, refit/ upsize?

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
caught a rock Thursday night and snapped a notched disc clean off the axle. Disc is a king kutter 6.5 foot, with what were 18 inch discs, 1 inch axle. they now measure 17.5 inches or so from wear, not bad, but replacing the cracked one, as well as two that are bent with new 18 inchers seems like the no brainer fix, could even pound the bent back to where they should be as spares. BUT, this disc frame has room to replace the 18 inch disc, with 20 inch. Disc could be tipped so the 18 inch smooth blades out back still do their thing with the top link. Seems King Kutter uses the same frame for 20 inch and 18 inch model.

Soooooooo, all that said, what would you do and why>? 3 18 inch discs for about 45 bucks, or all 10 new 18 inch for about 150, or all 10 20 inch for about 180?

sources for quality lower priced replacement parts are welcome.

only advantage I see with taller disc is being able to go deeper into the soil
MOST all food plot seeds don't need to go very deep, so??
WHY go deeper
NOW IF the 20's are thicker metal and maybe stronger, then I can see that being an up grade, other wise, I'd just replace the bad one's and keep going!

It will take longer for a 20" to wear down to 17.5 then it will an 18.

That's a plus.

Odds are the notches are the same height, so once you wear down past them, your bite will be a LOT less on either one?
so, if you run a 20 down to 17.8 inches, your NOT going to have notches on them!

most food plot seeds only need an inch of ground scruffed up, so, at 18 inches, half that is 9, minus center say 3 inches, you still have plenty of disc to run a LONG time on 18's
I have a disc from the 60's that is on 18's and still going strong?
all it gets used for is food plots?

and just replaced the fronts not so long ago on another one from the early 70's?
and I am on ROCKY terrains here too, I can show you HOW destroyed the one set of disc got when they went bad all at once it seemed! LOL

When I bought some KK replacement parts found that rural king was cheaper than tsc for what thats worth. Had to order them either way. The local fleet farm stocks all sorts of sizes but no notched ones. I find that 20 inch ones are available in thicker sizes than 18 but the shaft hole size is usually bigger like for 1.25 dia. But if you tighten the crap out of the gang when you put back together I dont think it really matters if the shaft size you have is a little small.

Haven't used my disc in a few years since going no til but heres another ?

I have a few cracked discs that are on really worm down gangs. When replacing them is it best to replace all? Otherwise the new ones would be 18 inches and the old ones like 15 inches. Not sure if that matters. But I assume it might drag funny.

If it were me, I would go to Gotvald Implement, or any used implement dealer in your area, who scraps equipment, and buy 6, 18" used blades for $2 each and then you would have spares, plus the 3 you need. No reason to buy new, I don't and I farm a lot of acres.

wow, thanks for all the responses. as for depth of seed, you guys are correct, I don't need a lot of depth, what I do need is a lot of chop and incorporation of heavy organic growth, many plots get crazy thick with rye, and if I don';t get it chopped, a lot of seed does not get a chance at soil contact. Right now the axle drags a bit in areas where they are at half depth, say 8 inches, vs the 9 I could get, not a big difference. Maybe I will just go to a thicker 18. I use this for pots only, but keep in mind I have up to 25 acres I work, some plots are two crops a year.

well I ordered 4 new 18's, figure run one at each end of the axles to get the best cut on the ends, and middle. UPS says my new plow shares will arrive tomorrow, plan is all coming together.