New to me Disc Harrow

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Did some trading yesterday for a 3pt 8' disc harrow. I have zero experience with discs and this one was bigger than what I had intended to use, but the trade was offered, so I accepted. A couple of the discs on the ends are loose and the owner said to take the slack out I would need to add washers to the axle nut. I am hoping he was being truthful and this thing doesn't fly apart the first time I try to use it.

VV

I think the sellers advise about the washers will work now getting those axel nuts off will be the challenge. Make sure you grease all fittings and good luck!

I think the sellers advise about the washers will work now getting those axel nuts off will be the challenge. Make sure you grease all fittings and good luck!
Yeah, they look pretty seized up. I will try to go against my nature and be patient with them and take my time working them off. I have been looking around online and seems the going advice is a pipe wrench with a cheater bar or pipe.

Thanks for the advice on the grease.

VV

Yeah, they look pretty seized up. I will try to go against my nature and be patient with them and take my time working them off. I have been looking around online and seems the going advice is a pipe wrench with a cheater bar or pipe.

Thanks for the advice on the grease.

VV
I've found Mistic Metal Mover to work real well loosening rusted bolts, put it on and let it sit overnight then give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MISTIC-MET...119159?hash=item4d4c367537:g:pxoAAOSwy0JaDEeT

I've found Mistic Metal Mover to work real well loosening rusted bolts, put it on and let it sit overnight then give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MISTIC-MET...119159?hash=item4d4c367537:g:pxoAAOSwy0JaDEeT

If that doesn’t work dump some break fluid on them and let them sit. Just don’t get it on auto paint or any paint you like!

Thanks for the tips guys.

VV

I bought one of the big crescent wrenches for about $40 at tractor supply. Ended up hitting it with a mall to break it loose. Most disks are fairly easy to repair - if you can break the nuts loose. Put antiseize compound back on every bolt to make it easier next time. Agri-supply pretty much makes everything you will need.

Soaked them all last night and hope to get to wrenching on it this afternoon.

VV

Got two out of the 4 sections tightened up nicely. A 24 hour soak in liquid wrench and heat seemed to be the ticket to breaking the nuts loose. Need to stop at Rural King today for more washers. Made a newb mistake and got stainless and used those on one of the axles and they are squishing under the nut. Going to see if I can find thicker, better grade washers for the rest and possibly just go ahead and replace the stainless.

VV

That almost seemed to easy :)

Dont start celebrating yet. About half the time slopticity in your blades starting to loosen up is indicating a bearing(s) are starting to show wear on the inner and outer races. Hopefully when you had apart you had a chance to kick the tires. Adding washers helps....for some amount of time. If you had a chance to check and everything ok, rock on...

On my disc the bearings are 2 bearings per gang. Don’t know if they are all the same? To replace the bearings I had to stand the gangs on end and disassemble from top to bottom. That was a pain both times I had to do it. Learning how to use it the right way will extend the bearings life a lot.

Dont start celebrating yet. About half the time slopticity in your blades starting to loosen up is indicating a bearing(s) are starting to show wear on the inner and outer races. Hopefully when you had apart you had a chance to kick the tires. Adding washers helps....for some amount of time. If you had a chance to check and everything ok, rock on...

By no means am I celebrating. Just a progress report. I will tighten everything down with washers and hope for the best.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0107.jpg

That one looks pretty heavy duty, all done and ready for dirt?

That one looks pretty heavy duty, all done and ready for dirt?

Rained all day today and wasn’t able to work on it. Hoping tomorrow morning is drier.

VV

Decent looking disc, like that it has notched discs on front and real flange bearings vs just cast bushings they put on the cheapo ones like the KK angle iron ones. Just pick it up before taking corners or take reeeaaally wide turns helps on life

Looks a lot like mine.

546FC2BE-0DE0-4D09-9489-E6A4B50306E6.jpeg

Decent looking disc, like that it has notched discs on front and real flange bearings vs just cast bushings they put on the cheapo ones like the KK angle iron ones. Just pick it up before taking corners or take reeeaaally wide turns helps on life

Thanks for the advice on the turns.

VV

Was finally able to get back at it last night and tighten everything up. Ran one pass and clearly found out it was too wet to do much good. With more rain this week and this weekend, not sure when I will actually be able to use it, but I am getting pretty excited to turn some dirt with it. Thanks for all the advice and input.

VV