Crab apple trees not producing

jsasker007

5 year old buck +
Anyone else have crabapples that normally produce but aren't this year? I have two trees that are nice and big and look to be in good shape, but no apples. Been a great year for weather here too. Doesn't make sense to me.

Have many crabapples this year that only about the top third of tree has fruit. Attribute this to late frost....again. Had late frost last yr too but was hoping with bloom time delayed about 10 days due to cooler spring this yr that would make it past frost.....nope

You can be on the frosts edge. A few trees in a dip. Or trees boxed in by mature trees can frost and the others dont. Areas shaded in the afternoon can frost too.

Trees near water can be saved from a frost too. The heat from the water keeps the locale a touch warmer.

Variety is the spice of life. Some trees bloom later. Also, soil temps can effect bloom too. Variances in soil depth, compactness, distance to water table, and insulating mulch can make a tree bloom later too.

One guy by me lays tons of wood chips. He thinks they bloom later because of it. Seems they do...

You can be on the frosts edge. A few trees in a dip. Or trees boxed in by mature trees can frost and the others dont. Areas shaded in the afternoon can frost too.

Trees near water can be saved from a frost too. The heat from the water keeps the locale a touch warmer.

Variety is the spice of life. Some trees bloom later. Also, soil temps can effect bloom too. Variances in soil depth, compactness, distance to water table, and insulating mulch can make a tree bloom later too.

One guy by me lays tons of wood chips. He thinks they bloom later because of it. Seems they do...

Some guys in an Alberta fruit group will pile snow around the trees to delay the frost coming out and thus delay blooming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange year for my apple trees. About half of them have apples and they are all on the same 40 acres. Might have to try a bunch of wood chips or some kinda mulch.