All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coated Nitrogen Fertilizer

Maddog3355

5 year old buck +
Has anyone used the coated nitrogen fertilizer? It is supposed to delay the evaporation. I’m thinking I can justify the cost for no more than I buy a year. I’m only using 500lbs a year.

I've used MAP from my local coop that is coated. I use it to achieve my P requirement bit it does have a small percentage of N in it. My coop didn't really increase the price when they began coating it.

If you use it, just make sure you apply it earlier, if it is a slow release, your plants may not be able to get it when they need it.

If you use it, just make sure you apply it earlier, if it is a slow release, your plants may not be able to get it when they need it.
How slow? Like in not right now slow? Do you know the name there calling this coated nitrogen? I cannot find much on the internet.

Are you talking about urea?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coated_urea

Availability of nitrogen from coated prills varies, but the differences between the different forms of coated urea and uncoated urea are small - like days or a week or two.

I was comparing 46-0-0 to 34-0-0

I just use Urea.....I prefer to work it into the soil if at all possible. I have top dressed it before, but try to avoid it if I can. If I put it IN the dirt vs ON the dirt - I think I have a better chance of it staying put and being used by my plot plants.