All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearing girdle cut trees?

well I won't call this any safer, if working alone, , as a fact this would be even more dangerous,
one should NEVER get out of a front access skid steer with the bucket raised, its a major NO NO !
people have been killed doing so!
even with a helper to operate the tractor/skid steer, standing under a bucket is never advice by any safety stand point!

a better idea might be to cut part way and then PUSH things over with a loader bucket
but watch when doing this, as many times tree's that fall kick back up and can bounce back at a operator(more dangerous in skid steer with an open door, and then other flaw is, when things are NOT on level ground, operating at an angle and a raised bucket can have gravity issue's that can make you tip over

again, NOT saying this stuff cannot be done, just saying, there are ricks to doing them, just some advice and info!

another option if you have the equipment might be pulling tree's down, using some snatch blocks you can have a machine safely out of drop zone, hinge cut and have someone pull a little and things will fall as you want and should anything get a little hung up, again, a tug on things can pull them down!'
I know not everyone has things for doing this, but another option if worried about just cutting them alone!

I am not saying things cant go wrong, because they can, but if there is a widow maker dangling above me, I want a roof over my head.

I am not saying things cant go wrong, because they can, but if there is a widow maker dangling above me, I want a roof over my head.

BUT you stated this
QUOTE (One thing that can make it a little bit safer to do yourself, if you have a tractor and loader, or a skid steer, just lift the bucket up above you and slightly push the tree in the direction you want it to fall, then stand under the bucket while cutting.) Quote

that implied it was a safer way to do things and its NOT safer in any way!

as if your using a BUCKET as a roof, that is maybe more dangerous than not haring one, as its just a false scene of security in doing this, and actually MORE dangerous!

as if a tree falls on the bucket and things come down, your in BIG trouble
the main reason standing under a bucket is dangerous is due to hydraulics's can fail, and its been known to kill folks when it happens!

NOW if your IN machine and can push things, still has some risks, or again, PULL things!
all have risks, but I wouldn;t want to be standing a under a bucket and call it safer!

I won't even get out of my Skid steer with boom up, on;less its locked up and I don't even do that with the bucket on it either!
safety matters more to me on things that can crush me!!

just saying, what I know here no hate/bash meant !