All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cave in Rock switchgrass in the North

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Just curious how far north some of yall are growing cave in rock switchgrass? If youre growing please post rough latitude or nearby city/state and pics if you have them. Thanks

I have some CIR Mid Mi roughly 43.8 N. It was slow to take off the first couple years but now it is about 4-6'. First pic is last year and second pic is this year, this fall we had a bunch of rain and it fell down, kind of stood back up and then some wet snow some it fell again. Sat the other night and saw a doe group come out of some CIR in the third pic, this year they started really using it to bed in.

MDEAmy8.jpg

rOsqcJU.jpg

iOgI2eX.jpg

4b. Gillett, WI

I’m sure somebody is growing it farther north than me. I’ll see if I can find you a picture. It grew as I would expect. 5-6 feet tall. For me it grows best in sandy soil and poorly in my wet clay.

Adams Wi

Near the Ohio Michigan boarder. I planted CIR and Kanlow. Early on I am preferring the Kanlow as it’s getting taller than the CIR. Some of the Kanlow is 6’ first year growth. Both are standing up well to snow and rain. 011EE653-9AE3-472D-82C2-46CE5ECB2E7C.jpeg

4b. Gillett, WI

I’m sure somebody is growing it farther north than me. I’ll see if I can find you a picture. It grew as I would expect. 5-6 feet tall. For me it grows best in sandy soil and poorly in my wet clay.

Hey Honker, nice to hear from you. I'm planting my yellow and red honker crabs out at the farm this coming spring. The yellow produced a few fruit in my nursery this fall, pretty sure they are still hanging.

im in door county wi and had great success and growth with my CIR switch.

Hey Honker, nice to hear from you. I'm planting my yellow and red honker crabs out at the farm this coming spring. The yellow produced a few fruit in my nursery this fall, pretty sure they are still hanging.
Good to hear Ed, I managed to graft a few also. I'm interested to hear how they grow for you.

I have some in a mixed switch grass planting for bedding cover. 45deg. Northern Wisconsin. Does good on years we don’t get lots of heavy snow. Mine has been fun to hunt. Only one acre in a clearing in the woods. This last few springs I have started to plant some pine trees in it to help hold up my cir switch grass, I also pushed some tree tops from logging into it in a few spots. I only planted a few clumps of pines in my switch grass to keep bedding spots for the deer on years where we get lots of snow early, the tree tops are also for early snow. I think the deer like to bed next to the tops for a backrest. I was told by a habit consultant that I should plant it into spruce trees because of snowfall.