Can I drag over clover/brassicas?

cornfedkiller

5 year old buck +
I know its best to plant brassicas and clover into a firm seedbed and then pack over them, but I'm helping a friend with a food plot and neither of us have a cultipacker, so I'm wondering what the next best option is..

The plots have been cultivated and are ready to be planted. Should we broadcast and then drag over them with a light drag, or would it be better to broadcast them and just leave it alone and let rain do the rest?

Depending how rough the field is I would maybe drag first then plant and let the rain do the rest. The seed is tiny so rain is enough to push it under.

Depending how rough the field is I would maybe drag first then plant and let the rain do the rest. The seed is tiny so rain is enough to push it under.

I agree. Drag first and then broadcast seed. Then pray for rain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I have had great success with as I don't have a cultipacker. I drag the plot first. Spread my seed. Then I lightly drag with a small section of my drag teeth up. Then I gather my kids on their wheelers and we slowly drive the plot till our tire tracks cover everything. It has worked great for my clover plots.

I'll second that approach to using the atv tires. My plots is 2 acres but that gets great seed to soil contact - which is so crucial

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here is what I have had great success with as I don't have a cultipacker. I drag the plot first. Spread my seed. Then I lightly drag with a small section of my drag teeth up. Then I gather my kids on their wheelers and we slowly drive the plot till our tire tracks cover everything. It has worked great for my clover plots.

I have a 6x8 drag harrow like the one in the picture. If I put the tines up will that bury the seed too deep? I'm going to plant wr and oats. I'll put clover over the top of the wr and oats after it's dragged.

dr+4ft+x+4ft+heavy-duty+drag+harrow_r.jpg

I have a very similar drag. Mines 4X8 with 2 separate 4 foot sections that hook together. I scuff the plot with it and then broadcast my WR and fertilizer. I then drive over the plot with either 1 or both sections, sometimes I only use 4 feet of the drag. I do this with the times down again to burry the WR seed and mix the fertilizer in. I then broadcast my clover onto the plot. Then I flip a 4 foot section of the drag over and drag the plot that way to lightly cover the clover seed. Then I pack the plot with the wheeler tires. Seems to work well in my sandy soil.

The tines down won't bury your WR or oats to deep.