All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any experience with this company? https://www.brooksoutdoorsales.com/economy-cabins

I’m looking for a basic upgrade to my camper. One or two guys sleeping max a night or two at a time. Nothing fancy needed just want to stay warm and dry. Seems like a good price.

I've never been in those in particular but have built some very simular. I would highly recommend requesting a window in the loft. A octagon shape awning window is great, can leave it cracked open all summer to avoid that closed up smell. That heat really holds up there and you'll want some cool air if heating with a wood stove

If you go that route I'd look at the floor system and see how many blocks they plan on setting it on. Then dig and pour Concrete sono tubes. Keep it up high enough to crawl under for any future plumbing and discourage critters from living under it. The sono tubes below frost depth will keep cabin level. Another option would be a product called Dimond Piers. Not my preference but saves on ground disturbance.
May want to check with your town as most have a rule that under 200sq feet needs no permits and won't be taxed. They assume it's a yard shed. I have one one property that has a 12x16 cabin, sleeps 5 if needed (12 pitch roof so a big enough loft for king size bed) and main floor has bunk bed with a futon couch bottom. Have a bathroom with shower. One wall of cabinets, sink, dorm fridge and counter top stove. I'll dig up some pics tonight, you'd be amazed what you can fit in a cabin small enough to not be taxed!

Sorry if this is a book- I'm killing time waiting for frost to melt off a roof so I can start work

We have several places here that sell what almost is a shed but has front door and porch for around 6K and you could finish yourself

I've never been in those in particular but have built some very simular. I would highly recommend requesting a window in the loft. A octagon shape awning window is great, can leave it cracked open all summer to avoid that closed up smell. That heat really holds up there and you'll want some cool air if heating with a wood stove

If you go that route I'd look at the floor system and see how many blocks they plan on setting it on. Then dig and pour Concrete sono tubes. Keep it up high enough to crawl under for any future plumbing and discourage critters from living under it. The sono tubes below frost depth will keep cabin level. Another option would be a product called Dimond Piers. Not my preference but saves on ground disturbance.
May want to check with your town as most have a rule that under 200sq feet needs no permits and won't be taxed. They assume it's a yard shed. I have one one property that has a 12x16 cabin, sleeps 5 if needed (12 pitch roof so a big enough loft for king size bed) and main floor has bunk bed with a futon couch bottom. Have a bathroom with shower. One wall of cabinets, sink, dorm fridge and counter top stove. I'll dig up some pics tonight, you'd be amazed what you can fit in a cabin small enough to not be taxed!

Sorry if this is a book- I'm killing time waiting for frost to melt off a roof so I can start work

NB ... you have contributed multiple times with a professional and experienced perspective ... have saved many from making dumb decisions.

Thank you!

Those are nice units. If you're looking for a comparison, maybe try Jim at www.abuilding4you.com. He is really good at customizing a building to fit just about any size budget. I've seen him do very basic sheds to extravagant, full log mini cabins and everything in between. I was just in a great semi finished 14x20 half log from him. Built by Mennonites in Athens, WI & deliver all over WI.

Thanks for all the feedback. Great insight as always. I need to dig into zoning rules in Dunn County, WI to see how easily I could do something like this. Not sure if they would require septic etc. Not sure if this is my forevever property and don't want to sink too much into a building since I live a hour away.

You might consider a small pole shed that you can add a small eating/sleeping space in and have some protected storage. Wood burning stove or propane, electric, composting toilet, and jug water. More versatile in use and might make resale of property more appealing.

We did that on our 1st property. Did not fall under the Wis Universal Dwelling building codes so it kept the property taxes lower as it was never inspected as a residential building. We essentially told the inspector it was a garage with a workshop.

In Adams County anything over 10x10’ needs a building permit and needs to go in front of the county board which you pony up $500 for the board to say yes or no. I believe each county has a map of where buildings can be erected or if it’s commonally called conservation areas which no permits will be issued. You need to go to the county building and land development office to see what BS your going to wade into. It was enough for me to say no thank you.

Last edited:
Thank God I don't live n Wisconsin. Is there anything reasonable, regarding the Government and Taxes there?

In Adams County anything over 10x10’ needs a building permit and needs to go in front of the county board which you pony up $500 for the board to say yes or no. I believe each county has a map of where buildings can be erected or if it’s commonally called conservation areas which no permits will be issued. You need to go county building and land development office to see what BS your going to wade into. It was enough for me to say no thank you.

Same here in Marquette cty ... hire a qualified contractor and they deal with the county board. Once the structure is up, no questions.

Say along with me ... it's just a storage shed with a heated workshop ... Assessors are lazy for the most part, work 9am - 3pm looking at google maps. new rectangle on the property, increased tax assessment. Building inspectors are suspicious by nature, they have seen all the failures and can be liable. Find a good local GC that can deal with the politics.

Enjoy ...

Same here in Marquette cty ... hire a qualified contractor and they deal with the county board. Once the structure is up, no questions.

Say along with me ... it's just a storage shed with a heated workshop ... Assessors are lazy for the most part, work 9am - 3pm looking at google maps. new rectangle on the property, increased tax assessment. Building inspectors are suspicious by nature, they have seen all the failures and can be liable. Find a good local GC that can deal with the politics.

Enjoy ...
Ya but everyone in Adams go around the laws like one of my neighbors putting his cabin on a hay wagon. With all these rules the county looks like trailer trash by how people weave around the laws. I told them that at the courthouse and walked out.

Wow bigsnow- a 10x10 needing a permit is just obnoxious. In a city sure, but that's a little strict for townships.

Wisconsin isn't near as bad as Michigan (when being legit). Michigan townships chairpersons tend to think their equal to being commander&chief.

I'd start by calling the Township before county. Emails are great to save correspondence for future reference.

As spud said your building a shed. Even specify having a shed delivered. It's perfectly legal to store a bed, stove, clothes ect in your yard shed that resembles a small cabin

Well Drive thru Adams County and you can see what strict laws can make the sides of the road look like.

Well Drive thru Adams County and you can see what strict laws can make the sides of the road look like.
Thank God for Adams County. The exiles from IL prefer it over Juneau County as it's closer to the Dells :emoji_wink:.

Thank God I don't live n Wisconsin. Is there anything reasonable, regarding the Government and Taxes there?

Yes ... our property taxes keep going down the past 5-6 years because our Republican Governor & Assembly eliminated mandatory Union dues for teachers & state employees and signed into law Right to Work legislation. :emoji_wink:

Yeah, I'm one of those guys with equipment and what not filing a acre up near the road. I don't wana see it from my tree stands :)
Had a newcomer to the town complain, I offered to sell him my land so he could control it. He didn't like that so I bought some shit to park just for fun. The cabin on a hay wagon idea actually sounds like a fun idea

Yes ... our property taxes keep going down the past 5-6 years because our Republican Governor & Assembly eliminated mandatory Union dues for teachers & state employees and signed into law Right to Work legislation. :emoji_wink:

That's good, but you have a long way to go. I wouldn't consider that market due to taxation and regulation.

That's good, but you have a long way to go. I wouldn't consider that market due to taxation and regulation.

I think we are doing alright at #11 overall and #3 for quality of life. I see MO & IN at #30 & 33 ...

Best State Rankings